No reply from dovecot

Peter Humphrey-3
Hello list,

I'm trying to get my local IMAP server going again after a gap of several
months. It's fed by fetchmail and postfix, both of which seem to be working
fine: I get new mail in /var/mail/prh, but dovecot doesn't serve it. I'm not
using SSL, just plain IMAP.

I can see IMAP traffic in both directions on the network, but nothing comes
back when I try to fetch mail. So I switched on all debugging in 10-
logging.conf and restarted dovecot, but it's not logging anything - not even
the fact that it's started.

If not even logging works, I'm at a loss what to do next. Anyone any ideas?

Peter.