No software speech in the last ISO

Cleverson Casarin Uliana
Dear,

I just burned the most current iso for my architecture, called
install-amd64-minimal-20101007.iso. When booting, once I heard the beep,
i issued:
gentoo speakup.synth=soft <ENTER>
but got no speech.

Once in the root prompt, I entered alsamixer, and with a sighted
assistance I verified that most channels were muted. I issued m and
right arrow til I unmuted them all, but still no speech.

I issued "espeak -vpt test" and ESpeak has talked aloud as expected, but
the speakup commands didn't work.

Do you have suggestions of commands I could type to try getting speech?
I already tried "modprobe speakup_soft" with no results.

Many thanks.
Cleverson

Re: No software speech in the last ISO

Derek Roberts
Hi,

I haven't been on gentoo in a while, but I remember this on my last
try. From what I remember, speakup's modules aren't installed
properly. Kinda makes me mad, I've wanted to use gentoo for a long
time (portage ftw!) but I don't have another machine to do an ssh
install from, and I wouldn't need that if the speech would work...

I'll have to play with the latest livecd though and see if I can get
it to do something, but that's what I remember from my last try with
it (early this year I think).

Thanks, Derek Roberts, KJ4UFX.

.i doi .tcikoritys. mi cuxna ba'e do

On 10/19/10, Cleverson Casarin Uliana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear,
>
> I just burned the most current iso for my architecture, called
> install-amd64-minimal-20101007.iso. When booting, once I heard the beep,
> i issued:
> gentoo speakup.synth=soft <ENTER>
> but got no speech.
>
> Once in the root prompt, I entered alsamixer, and with a sighted
> assistance I verified that most channels were muted. I issued m and
> right arrow til I unmuted them all, but still no speech.
>
> I issued "espeak -vpt test" and ESpeak has talked aloud as expected, but
> the speakup commands didn't work.
>
> Do you have suggestions of commands I could type to try getting speech?
> I already tried "modprobe speakup_soft" with no results.
>
> Many thanks.
> Cleverson

Re: No software speech in the last ISO

Cleverson Casarin Uliana
Hello,

Thank you. I think I'm better installing Gentoo from within another distro, as I have Vinux and Arch Linux already installed here.

I recall that I must enable the alsa and portaudio use flags, then emerge espeakup, then load the speakup_soft module and enable the espeakup service, all this to have Gentoo speaking after boot. Is it still right?

Also, does anyone know if speechd-up still works in Gentoo with the current speech-dispatcher 0.7.1, and what are the steps to get it running on boot instead of espeakup?

Thanks.
Cleverson

> I haven't been on gentoo in a while, but I remember this on
> my last
> try. From what I remember, speakup's modules aren't
> installed
> properly. Kinda makes me mad, I've wanted to use gentoo for
> a long
> time (portage ftw!) but I don't have another machine to do
> an ssh
> install from, and I wouldn't need that if the speech would
> work...
>
> I'll have to play with the latest livecd though and see if
> I can get
> it to do something, but that's what I remember from my last
> try with
> it (early this year I think).
>
> Thanks, Derek Roberts, KJ4UFX.
>
> .i doi .tcikoritys. mi cuxna ba'e do
>

> On 10/19/10, Cleverson Casarin Uliana <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Dear,
> >
> > I just burned the most current iso for my
> architecture, called
> > install-amd64-minimal-20101007.iso. When booting, once
> I heard the beep,
> > i issued:
> > gentoo speakup.synth=soft <ENTER>
> > but got no speech.
> >
> > Once in the root prompt, I entered alsamixer, and with
> a sighted
> > assistance I verified that most channels were muted. I
> issued m and
> > right arrow til I unmuted them all, but still no
> speech.
> >
> > I issued "espeak -vpt test" and ESpeak has talked
> aloud as expected, but
> > the speakup commands didn't work.
> >
> > Do you have suggestions of commands I could type to
> try getting speech?
> > I already tried "modprobe speakup_soft" with no
> results.
> >
> > Many thanks.
> > Cleverson

Re: No software speech in the last ISO

Derek Roberts
Hi,

Sounds right to me, but haven't been able to test. I know I could
install from another distro, just wish the gentoo livecd would work.
:(
Not sure about speechdup, I haven't actually tried installing it.
Speech-dispatcher has always been unstable for me, not really sure
why.

THanks.

On 10/21/10, Cleverson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you. I think I'm better installing Gentoo from within another distro,
> as I have Vinux and Arch Linux already installed here.
>
> I recall that I must enable the alsa and portaudio use flags, then emerge
> espeakup, then load the speakup_soft module and enable the espeakup service,
> all this to have Gentoo speaking after boot. Is it still right?
>
> Also, does anyone know if speechd-up still works in Gentoo with the current
> speech-dispatcher 0.7.1, and what are the steps to get it running on boot
> instead of espeakup?
>
> Thanks.
> Cleverson

William Hubbs

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:10:15AM -0700, Cleverson wrote:
> I recall that I must enable the alsa and portaudio use flags, then emerge espeakup, then load the speakup_soft module and enable the espeakup service, all this to have Gentoo speaking after boot. Is it still right?

This should still work.

> Also, does anyone know if speechd-up still works in Gentoo with the current speech-dispatcher 0.7.1, and what are the steps to get it running on boot instead of espeakup?

speechd-up is currently broken unfortunately, and
speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 is not set up to run as a system service.

I am working, among other things, on fixing speechd-up.  I'm also on the
speech-dispatcher dev team, and I can tell you that running as a system
service will be back for 0.8, but you may not need that if I get the
fixes I want into speechd-up before that.

Another project I am working on is speakup, which will, hopefully, be a
part of the staging drivers in the official linux kernel starting with
2.6.37-rc1.

From the way you are describing the issues you are having with the
live cd, it sounds like your sound card channels are muted.

Do you know  which channels need to be unmuted for your card?

William

William Hubbs writes:
> Do you know  which channels need to be unmuted for your card?

Answered in private, with some files attached.

Thanks for the kind answer on ESpeakup and speechd-up as well.

Cleverson

--
Cleverson