Numeric keypad causes machine to freeze when using Speakup under Gentoo 3.4.9

Numeric keypad causes machine to freeze when using Speakup under Gentoo 3.4.9

John Robinson
Hi everyone. Apologies if this is a bit off topic, but I can't tell if
the problem I'm having is related to Speakup itself or the way I've
compiled my kernel.

Until very recently, I used Gentoo version 3.3.8 and compiled the
Speakup staging driver as a module. I used this with the Espeak
softsynth and the Espeakup connector.  My numeric keypad worked exactly
as it should do under Speakup.

I have now upgraded to Gentoo 3.4.9 and recompiled my kernel.  I still
use its Speakup staging driver built as a module, along with Espeak and
Espeakup.  My problem now is that, whenever Speakup is running and I
press any key on my numeric keypad, my whole computer freezes. I can't
reboot it with CTRL+ALT+Delete and have to turn it off by holding the
power button in for a few seconds.

I have no idea what is causing this and can find no clues in the Speakup
user guide or the Speakup FAQs.  I would very much appreciate any advice
anyone has as to how to get my numeric keypad to work as it should under
Speakup.  It works perfectly under Gnome and Orca, but freezes the
machine whenever it is used under Speakup.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

John

Re: Numeric keypad causes machine to freeze when using Speakup under Gentoo 3.4.9

William Hubbs
Hi John,

This is a known issue which started in 3.4 kernels with speakup. It was
fixed in the kernel git tree, but it looks like the fix will be in 3.7.

Thanks,

William

Re: Numeric keypad causes machine to freeze when using Speakup under Gentoo 3.4.9

John Robinson
Many thanks for letting me know.  I contacted the Speakup mailing list who
sent me a patch which I've used to fix the problem for now in Gentoo 3.4.
I look forward to the release of Gentoo 3.7.

Many thanks,

John