OT - ORT invisible

Anton Melser
Hi,
I am trying to set up a website for my father and wanted to use a free
hosting service here in France (1 gig space + php + mysql, no ads - so
not to be sniffed at!). I have got myself a domain name (for me not him,
but it is just for testing...) and am trying to work out whether it is
possible to make it so that the user doesn't see the fact that it is on
a free host. I am using the redirection provided by my dns service to
point to a directory on the free site
(http://antonovich.free.fr/DerekMelser). When I put the url
http://www.antonmelser.org into the url bar it does indeed take me
there... but clicking on the links on the page keeps the same thing
there (eg, the link
http://antonovich.free.fr/DerekMelser/journal/recent.html), which means
still http://www.antonmelser.org. That would be OK but unfortunately
even when I click on a link to an external site the
http://www.antonmelser.org stays there... not so nice! I get the same
with firefox and konqueror and even IE on doze - so it looks more like a
feature than a bug - can someone enlighten me on this?
Cheers
Antoine

Re: OT - ORT invisible

Tim Igoe
Antoine wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to set up a website for my father and wanted to use a free
> hosting service here in France (1 gig space + php + mysql, no ads - so
> not to be sniffed at!). I have got myself a domain name (for me not him,
> but it is just for testing...) and am trying to work out whether it is
> possible to make it so that the user doesn't see the fact that it is on
> a free host. I am using the redirection provided by my dns service to
> point to a directory on the free site
> (http://antonovich.free.fr/DerekMelser). When I put the url
> http://www.antonmelser.org into the url bar it does indeed take me
> there... but clicking on the links on the page keeps the same thing
> there (eg, the link
> http://antonovich.free.fr/DerekMelser/journal/recent.html), which means
> still http://www.antonmelser.org. That would be OK but unfortunately
> even when I click on a link to an external site the
> http://www.antonmelser.org stays there... not so nice! I get the same
> with firefox and konqueror and even IE on doze - so it looks more like a
> feature than a bug - can someone enlighten me on this?
> Cheers
> Antoine
Your links going external are still opening within the frame. The
redirection will be setting a full page frame and then load the free
host within that frame.

For your external links to show with the correct url you will need to
jump out of hte frame - so setting a target of _top should do that :)

Thus, <a href="http://www.someexternalurl.com" target="_top">Go
Elsewhere</a>

--
Tim Igoe
[hidden email]

"Computers are like Air-con, open windows and they stop working!"