[OT] ...preventing MAC OS from polluting my USBsticks...?

[OT] ...preventing MAC OS from polluting my USBsticks...?

tuxic
Hi,

it happens that I use my usbsticks with a Mac. As soon I use the stick
again with my trusty Linux...I found a lot of added "hidden" files,
which are shorter and renamed versions of files, which are already
there...and there are everywere.

Is there any hack/trick/<whatever> to prevent MacOS to write to
my usbstick when not instructed to do so?

I am neither the owner nor the system admin of that Mac...I only
have an ordinary user account and I am not allowed to install any
software...

Hopefully there is anything to do against this...

Cheers!
Meino

Re: [OT] ...preventing MAC OS from polluting my USBsticks...?

Andrew Udvare

> On 2019-01-13, at 08:43, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> it happens that I use my usbsticks with a Mac. As soon I use the stick
> again with my trusty Linux...I found a lot of added "hidden" files,
> which are shorter and renamed versions of files, which are already
> there...and there are everywere.
>
> Is there any hack/trick/<whatever> to prevent MacOS to write to
> my usbstick when not instructed to do so?

There are these two defaults settings, and they don't require root to set them:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteUSBStores true

These are only for stopping Finder from writing .DS_Store files. Anything you delete on macOS will still go in .Trash/ at the root of the drive.

Andrew Udvare

On 01/13 10:48, Andrew Udvare wrote:

> > On 2019-01-13, at 08:43, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > it happens that I use my usbsticks with a Mac. As soon I use the stick
> > again with my trusty Linux...I found a lot of added "hidden" files,
> > which are shorter and renamed versions of files, which are already
> > there...and there are everywere.
> >
> > Is there any hack/trick/<whatever> to prevent MacOS to write to
> > my usbstick when not instructed to do so?
>
> There are these two defaults settings, and they don't require root to set them:
>
> defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
> defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteUSBStores true
>
> These are only for stopping Finder from writing .DS_Store files. Anything you delete on macOS will still go in .Trash/ at the root of the drive.
>
> --
> Andrew Udvare

Hi Andrew,

ok...I only will delete something from my usbstick when I at home
using Linux :)

Only to get sure not to break anything (the MAC is not my own and I am
not at $HOME with Macs)...the
two commands:

  defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
  defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteUSBStores true

need to given as commands at the commandline (the way real UNICES do
it), aren't they?

Cheers!
Meino

Re: [OT] ...preventing MAC OS from polluting my USBsticks...?

Andrew Udvare

> On 2019-01-13, at 13:38, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Only to get sure not to break anything (the MAC is not my own and I am
> not at $HOME with Macs)...the
> two commands:
>
>  defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
>  defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteUSBStores true
>
> need to given as commands at the commandline (the way real UNICES do
> it), aren't they?

Yes. Open Terminal and paste these in.

macOS is POSIX certified: https://blog.opengroup.org/2012/07/25/apple-registers-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-to-the-unix-03-standard/

On 01/13 03:41, Andrew Udvare wrote:

> > On 2019-01-13, at 13:38, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > Only to get sure not to break anything (the MAC is not my own and I am
> > not at $HOME with Macs)...the
> > two commands:
> >
> >  defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
> >  defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteUSBStores true
> >
> > need to given as commands at the commandline (the way real UNICES do
> > it), aren't they?
>
> Yes. Open Terminal and paste these in.
>
> macOS is POSIX certified: https://blog.opengroup.org/2012/07/25/apple-registers-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-to-the-unix-03-standard/

Ok - thanks! :)