Odd Error

Hunter Jozwiak-2

Hi all,

When I run espeakup at a terminal, I get the following error:

Unable to access soft synth device. No such file or directory.

I am using the Gentoo-sources, and the only configuration I modified was to give myself sound support and get the CONFIG_SPEAKUP and CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SOFFT in my kernel. When I run zcat /proc/config.gz | grep –I CONFIG_SPEAKUP, the needed modules are showing up as =y. But what is wrong with the softsynth error, and how do I fix it?

Re: Odd Error

Chris Brannon
"Hunter Jozwiak" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Unable to access soft synth device. No such file or directory.

Hello,
Try this:

echo soft > /sys/accessibility/speakup/synth

The softsynth driver should start, and you should have a device named
/dev/softsynth.  At this point, you should be ready to run espeakup.

HTH,
-- Chris

Re: Odd Error

Hunter Jozwiak-2
Thank you so much! I, folks, am a proud Gentoo user. Is it possible to
add this to a boot up line, and if so, where and how? I'm using Grub2.