Old Gentoo upgrade

Lech Pańkowski
Hello,
I was asked to upgrade a Gentoo server. It probably was not updated
for a few years. There is 10.0 profile with portage 2.1.6.7. After
every 'emerge' there is a suggestion to upgrade to 13.0 profile.
I am fairly novice to Gentoo, and this server is constantly being used (e-mail).

First I started with:
  # emerge --sync
  # emerge -1av sys-apps/portage
There was a message:
 emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-lang/python:2.7".
dependency required by "sys-apps/portage-2.2.7" [ebuild]) (dependency
required by "portage" {argument])".

Supposing that my installation is too old to upgrade that way I
decided to follow strictly method described at
   https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_Gentoo#Updating_old_systems

Stage3 was downloaded from
http://gentoo.mirror.pw.edu.pl/releases/x86/current-stage3/)
Unfortunately, after the last command from this guide:
 # ROOT=/mnt/host emerge -1v portage
there are many messages such as:

!!! Section 'gentoo' in repos.conf has location attribute set to
nonexistent directory: '/usr/portage'
!!! Section 'x-portage' in repos.conf has location attribute set to
nonexistent directory: '/usr/portage'
!!! Invalid Repository Location (not a dir): '/usr/portage'
!!! /etc/portage/make.profile is not a symlink and will probably
prevent most merges.
!!! It should point into a profile within /usr/portage/profiles/

I felt completly lost. I found repos.config only in
/mnt/build/usr/share/portage/config, but there is no 'x-portage'
section.

Is there something wrong with this guide?
May I ask for any hint what to do next, and more generally - how to do
the upgrade in the safest possible way?

English is a foreign language for me, so please forgive my language
mistakes (if any).

Every remark will be highly appreciated.
With many thanks in advance,
Leszek Pankowski

Re: Old Gentoo upgrade

Norman Rieß
Am 27.12.2013 09:48, schrieb Lech Pańkowski:

> Hello,
> I was asked to upgrade a Gentoo server. It probably was not updated
> for a few years. There is 10.0 profile with portage 2.1.6.7. After
> every 'emerge' there is a suggestion to upgrade to 13.0 profile.
> I am fairly novice to Gentoo, and this server is constantly being used (e-mail).
>
> First I started with:
>   # emerge --sync
>   # emerge -1av sys-apps/portage
> There was a message:
>  emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-lang/python:2.7".
> dependency required by "sys-apps/portage-2.2.7" [ebuild]) (dependency
> required by "portage" {argument])".
>
> Supposing that my installation is too old to upgrade that way I
> decided to follow strictly method described at
>    https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_Gentoo#Updating_old_systems
>
> Stage3 was downloaded from
> http://gentoo.mirror.pw.edu.pl/releases/x86/current-stage3/)
> Unfortunately, after the last command from this guide:
>  # ROOT=/mnt/host emerge -1v portage
> there are many messages such as:
>
> !!! Section 'gentoo' in repos.conf has location attribute set to
> nonexistent directory: '/usr/portage'
> !!! Section 'x-portage' in repos.conf has location attribute set to
> nonexistent directory: '/usr/portage'
> !!! Invalid Repository Location (not a dir): '/usr/portage'
> !!! /etc/portage/make.profile is not a symlink and will probably
> prevent most merges.
> !!! It should point into a profile within /usr/portage/profiles/
>
> I felt completly lost. I found repos.config only in
> /mnt/build/usr/share/portage/config, but there is no 'x-portage'
> section.
>
> Is there something wrong with this guide?
> May I ask for any hint what to do next, and more generally - how to do
> the upgrade in the safest possible way?
>
> English is a foreign language for me, so please forgive my language
> mistakes (if any).
>
> Every remark will be highly appreciated.
> With many thanks in advance,
> Leszek Pankowski

Did you really used # emerge -1av sys-apps/portage?
Because the guide tells otherwise: #ROOT=/mnt/host emerge -1av portage

Norman

Re: Old Gentoo upgrade

Lech Pańkowski
emerge -1av sys-apps/portage was my first trial, because I was advised
to do so. When it failed, I decided to do upgrade as I described.
Thanks for your interest.
L. P.