Own mailing list

[Deus]
Hi,
I am in possesion of server machine. It has own IP, domain, etc. I've
already configured SSH on it and everything works fine. I am about to
create mailing server on that machine now. Which packages do I have to
emerge? I'd like to have one account for example 'maillist' and if
someone send message to [hidden email] it will be forwarded to all
subscribed users. How can I do that?

Re: Own mailing list

Thomas Rösner-2
Hi,

first of all, you might want to now that this list gets five mails per
year in average, so you might want to try your luck with gentoo-server.

[Deus] schrieb:
> Hi,
> I am in possesion of server machine. It has own IP, domain, etc. I've
> already configured SSH on it and everything works fine. I am about to
> create mailing server on that machine now. Which packages do I have to
> emerge? I'd like to have one account for example 'maillist' and if
> someone send message to [hidden email] it will be forwarded to all
> subscribed users. How can I do that?

Do you have MX records for your domain? This is needed so mails for
[hidden email] will be delivered to your IP. Then you need a Mail
Transfer Agent like Exim or postfix, and if you want more than a simple
mailist with a few subscribers, a dedicated mailing list software.

We are using exim + MailMan for ca. 100 lists since 2005 and we are very
happy with it - mail list admins can administer their MLs without
handholding from Sys-Admins via a web interface, you get automatic
archives, sensible behavior and reliability. But if all you want is a
simple mail distribution for a few people a simple mail alias may be enough.

Search the Gentoo wiki for guides on how to set up a mail server.

Regards,
    Thomas