PS3 kernel configuration

archiebleh
I recently installed gentoo on a PS3 using the experimental stage4. It comes with a 2.6.23 kernel that works. The problem I'm having is upgrading the kernel. I've done 20 or so different configurations on numerous different kernel versions trying everything I know to make it work. I've used the 2.6.23 config as a base to 'make oldconfig'  on different versions from 2.6.25 to 2.6.30 kernels, using ps3_defconfig as a base for the same versions, using a 2.6.27 kernel from yellow dog 6.1, which worked when i installed yellow dog, but not on this gentoo installation. Does anyone have a config that they could share with me? Every kernel I've made leaves me with a black screen after the initrd. I'm not very adept at this. Is the initrd even necessary? Every install i've seen has one, but seems like it would be pretty predictable as to what is necessary besides perhaps filesystems.

I haven't updated anything else yet, besides portage, because of http://bugs.gentoo.org/271367 .