Perl 5.30.1 Locale::Language missing

Petric Frank
Hello,

after an perl upgrade (5.28 --> 5.30) my web application is no more working.
It is missing Locale::Language.

After a view to the perl source it indeed have been removed.

A short search seems to state the the used have to install the packages
  Locale::Language
  Locale::Codes

from CPAN instead.

Due i am not a master of constructing perl-ebuilds - anyone already have build
the ebuilds and share it with me ?

Kind regards
  Petric

Re: Perl 5.30.1 Locale::Language missing

Mick-10
On Saturday, 4 January 2020 17:21:17 GMT Petric Frank wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after an perl upgrade (5.28 --> 5.30) my web application is no more working.
> It is missing Locale::Language.
>
> After a view to the perl source it indeed have been removed.
>
> A short search seems to state the the used have to install the packages
>   Locale::Language
>   Locale::Codes
>
> from CPAN instead.
>
> Due i am not a master of constructing perl-ebuilds - anyone already have
> build the ebuilds and share it with me ?
>
> Kind regards
>   Petric
I don't know if it may be relevant to your problem, but have your run perl-
cleaner since you updated perl?

BTW, the current stable perl version is 5.30.1.

Mick

Am Samstag, 4. Januar 2020, 18:49:19 CET schrieb Mick:

> On Saturday, 4 January 2020 17:21:17 GMT Petric Frank wrote:

> > Hello,

> > after an perl upgrade (5.28 --> 5.30) my web application is no more

> > working. It is missing Locale::Language.

> > After a view to the perl source it indeed have been removed.

> > A short search seems to state the the used have to install the packages

> > Locale::Language

> > Locale::Codes

> > from CPAN instead.

> > Due i am not a master of constructing perl-ebuilds - anyone already have

> > build the ebuilds and share it with me ?

> > Kind regards

> > Petric

> I don't know if it may be relevant to your problem, but have your run perl-

> cleaner since you updated perl?

> BTW, the current stable perl version is 5.30.1.

Yes i did:

-------------------------- cut --------------------------

# perl-cleaner --all
* Removing perl-core packages from world file
*    emerge --deselect  perl-core/File-Temp
>>> No matching atoms found in "world" favorites file...
* Updating installed Perl virtuals
*    emerge -u1  virtual/perl-CPAN-Meta virtual/perl-CPAN-Meta-YAML virtual/perl-Carp virtual/perl-Compress-Raw-Bzip2 virtual/perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib virtual/perl-Data-Dumper virtual/perl-Digest-MD5 virtual/per
l-Digest-SHA virtual/perl-Encode virtual/perl-Exporter virtual/perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder virtual/perl-ExtUtils-Install virtual/perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker virtual/perl-ExtUtils-Manifest virtual/perl-ExtUtils-ParseXS v
irtual/perl-File-Spec virtual/perl-File-Temp virtual/perl-Getopt-Long virtual/perl-IO virtual/perl-IO-Compress virtual/perl-IO-Socket-IP virtual/perl-JSON-PP virtual/perl-Locale-Maketext virtual/perl-MIME-Base6
4 virtual/perl-Module-Metadata virtual/perl-Parse-CPAN-Meta virtual/perl-Perl-OSType virtual/perl-Scalar-List-Utils virtual/perl-Storable virtual/perl-Test-Harness virtual/perl-Text-ParseWords virtual/perl-Time
-Local virtual/perl-XSLoader virtual/perl-if virtual/perl-libnet virtual/perl-parent virtual/perl-podlators virtual/perl-version

* IMPORTANT: 19 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news read to view new items.

Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* Beginning a clean up of .ph files
* Excluding files for 5.30.1 and 5.30.1/x86_64-linux from cleaning

* Locating ph files for removal

* Locating packages for an update
* Locating ebuilds linked against libperl
/usr/sbin/perl-cleaner: Zeile 258: Warnung: command substitution: ignored null byte in input
* No package needs to be reinstalled.
-------------------------- cut --------------------------

I looked inside the perl source archives. Language.pm is missing from 5.30.1 whereas it is available in 5.28.2.

kind regards

Petric

Re: Perl 5.30.1 Locale::Language missing

Walter Dnes
On Sat, Jan 04, 2020 at 06:21:17PM +0100, Petric Frank wrote

> It is missing Locale::Language.
>
> After a view to the perl source it indeed have been removed.
>
> A short search seems to state the the used have to install the packages
>   Locale::Language
>   Locale::Codes
>
> from CPAN instead.
>
> Due i am not a master of constructing perl-ebuilds - anyone already
> have build the ebuilds and share it with me ?

  No need for an ebuild/emerge.  See...
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-693473.html for a solution
template.  Someone needed "IO:Stty" and the solution was to run the
following from the commandline as root

perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan > install IO::Stty
exit

  In your case it looks like you need (as root)

perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan > install Locale::Language
cpan > install Locale::Codes
exit

  Installing Locale::Language may also install Locale::Codes ; I simply
don't know.

  Note that the first time you run perl like this it, it may ask for
config/setup options.  The final line will be...
"Would you like to configure as much as possible automatically? [yes]"

Hit the {ENTER} key to accept defaults.

--
Walter Dnes <[hidden email]>

Re: Perl 5.30.1 Locale::Language missing

Neil Bothwick
On Sat, 04 Jan 2020 18:21:17 +0100, Petric Frank wrote:

> A short search seems to state the the used have to install the packages
>   Locale::Language
>   Locale::Codes
>
> from CPAN instead.
>
> Due i am not a master of constructing perl-ebuilds - anyone already
> have build the ebuilds and share it with me ?

app-portage/g-cpan will do it for you

% eix g-cpan
* app-portage/g-cpan
     Available versions:  0.16.5 (~)0.16.6 (~)0.16.7^t 0.16.9-r1^t **9999*l^t {test}
     Homepage:            https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Perl/g-cpan

Neil Bothwick

Megabyte: (n.) more than you can comprehend and less than you'll need.

Re: Perl 5.30.1 Locale::Language missing

Martin Vaeth-2
Petric Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I looked inside the perl source archives. Language.pm is missing from
> 5.30.1 whereas it is available in 5.28.2.

This looks like a bug in the perl distribution to me:

man perl5300delta

claims "Locale::Codes has been upgraded from version 3.56 to 3.57." and

man perl5301delta

neither mentions "Locale" nor "Codes", yet the whole
cpan/Locale-Codes subdirectory is missing from 5.30.1.
Although it should not be hard to write an ebuild as a
temporary workaround, I suggest to file a bug at perl itself.

Am Samstag, 4. Januar 2020, 22:02:35 CET schrieb Neil Bothwick:

> On Sat, 04 Jan 2020 18:21:17 +0100, Petric Frank wrote:

> > A short search seems to state the the used have to install the packages

> > Locale::Language

> > Locale::Codes

> > from CPAN instead.

> > Due i am not a master of constructing perl-ebuilds - anyone already

> > have build the ebuilds and share it with me ?

> app-portage/g-cpan will do it for you

> % eix g-cpan

> * app-portage/g-cpan

> Available versions: 0.16.5 (~)0.16.6 (~)0.16.7^t 0.16.9-r1^t

> **9999*l^t {test} Homepage:

> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Perl/g-cpan Description:

> Autogenerate and install ebuilds for CPAN modules

This solution looks promising. I don't like the "perl -MCPAN ..." suggestion earlier+ because it installs files outside of the control of portage.

calling

# g-cpan -g Locale::Language

gives me
* The option you have chosen isn't supported without a configured overlay.

The homepage does not give a clue on how the overlay have to be specified.

I have a local repository defined as in

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Portage/CustomTree#Defining_a_custom_repository

You have to set PORTDIR_OVERLAY explicitly. A hint on the homepage would be nice. Maybe the tool can be redesigned to use the directory /etc/portage/repos.conf instead.

After that it works well.

Thanks for your help.

kind regards

Petric

Re: Perl 5.30.1 Locale::Language missing

Andreas K. Huettel
Am Samstag, 4. Januar 2020, 18:21:17 CET schrieb Petric Frank:
> Hello,
> after an perl upgrade (5.28 --> 5.30) my web application is no more
> working. It is missing Locale::Language.
> After a view to the perl source it indeed have been removed.
>
> A short search seems to state the the used have to install the packages
>   Locale::Language
>   Locale::Codes
> from CPAN instead.

Please file a bug for such stuff in the future... Nobody from Perl team
noticed this so far.

That said, I'll take care of it (today or tomorrow).

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
[hidden email]

Re: Perl 5.30.1 Locale::Language missing

Kent Fredric-2
On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 07:48:04 -0000 (UTC)
Martin Vaeth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This looks like a bug in the perl distribution to me:
>
> man perl5300delta
>
> claims "Locale::Codes has been upgraded from version 3.56 to 3.57." and
>
> man perl5301delta
>
> neither mentions "Locale" nor "Codes", yet the whole
> cpan/Locale-Codes subdirectory is missing from 5.30.1.
> Although it should not be hard to write an ebuild as a
> temporary workaround, I suggest to file a bug at perl itself.
Nope.

/usr/bin/corelist -a Locale::Codes

Data for 2019-11-10
Locale::Codes was first released with perl v5.13.1 and removed from v5.29.3

== Upstream has unbundled this and migrated it to be a "CPAN only" dep.

Op needs to request an addition of dev-perl/Locale-Codes , which
provides both Locale::Codes and Locale::Language

This is one of the sorts of things we *usually* have virtuals to
handle, however, nothing in tree uses this, so the virtual never came
to be.

This is not a bug in packaging, more a side effect of your "web
application" not being available in portage.

Re: Perl 5.30.1 Locale::Language missing

Andreas K. Huettel
> == Upstream has unbundled this and migrated it to be a "CPAN only" dep.
>
> Op needs to request an addition of dev-perl/Locale-Codes , which
> provides both Locale::Codes and Locale::Language

commit 5e9859f72c23a21b16dc72053cc6077b33fc77ce
Author:     Andreas K. Hüttel <[hidden email]>
AuthorDate: Wed Jan 8 12:29:55 2020 +0100
Commit:     Andreas K. Hüttel <[hidden email]>
CommitDate: Wed Jan 8 12:30:43 2020 +0100

    dev-perl/Locale-Codes: New package (split out of core with Perl 5.30)

    Taking ~arch keywords of dev-lang/perl thus...

    Package-Manager: Portage-2.3.84, Repoman-2.3.20
    Signed-off-by: Andreas K. Hüttel <[hidden email]>