[Policy change] Package masking of live ebuilds

[Policy change] Package masking of live ebuilds

Ulrich Mueller-2
The devmanual says about live ebuilds:

| CVS ebuilds must be either with empty KEYWORDS or package.masked
| (but not both). Empty KEYWORDS are strongly preferred. This applies
| to "live" ebuilds (-9999) and to ebuilds that extract a static
| revision but still use CVS for fetching.

As of today, I count 2123 live ebuilds in the Gentoo repository with
empty KEYWORDS and 1 (one) ebuild with non-empty KEYWORDS but
package.masked.

So, can we finally make empty KEYWORDS mandatory and drop the part
about package.masking?

Ulrich

[1] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/cvs-sources/index.html
    (Yes, there really should be a chapter about Git sources ...)

Re: [Policy change] Package masking of live ebuilds

William Hubbs
On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 08:52:59PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> The devmanual says about live ebuilds:
>
> | CVS ebuilds must be either with empty KEYWORDS or package.masked
> | (but not both). Empty KEYWORDS are strongly preferred. This applies
> | to "live" ebuilds (-9999) and to ebuilds that extract a static
> | revision but still use CVS for fetching.
>
> As of today, I count 2123 live ebuilds in the Gentoo repository with
> empty KEYWORDS and 1 (one) ebuild with non-empty KEYWORDS but
> package.masked.
>
> So, can we finally make empty KEYWORDS mandatory and drop the part
> about package.masking?
I'm all for this; live ebuilds should have empty keywords and not be in
package.mask.

On a side note, the subject of this thread is somewhat confusing because
it implies that you want to do the opposite. ;-)

William

Re: [Policy change] Package masking of live ebuilds

Michael 'veremitz' Everitt
On 18/02/20 19:52, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> The devmanual says about live ebuilds:
>
> | CVS ebuilds must be either with empty KEYWORDS or package.masked
> | (but not both). Empty KEYWORDS are strongly preferred. This applies
> | to "live" ebuilds (-9999) and to ebuilds that extract a static
> | revision but still use CVS for fetching.
>
> As of today, I count 2123 live ebuilds in the Gentoo repository with
> empty KEYWORDS and 1 (one) ebuild with non-empty KEYWORDS but
> package.masked.
>
> So, can we finally make empty KEYWORDS mandatory and drop the part
> about package.masking?
>
> Ulrich
>
> [1] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/cvs-sources/index.html
>     (Yes, there really should be a chapter about Git sources ...)
This sounds like an ideal opportunity for repoman/pkgcheck warnings .. no?