Portaris??

Steven Ringwald
Is there a gentoo mailing list for this project, or is it even still
alive. I have been using nexenta and schillix in VMWare sessions, and am
really excited about the thought of using something that is more
gentoo-like. If someone could point me to such a list, I would really
appreciate it.

Thanks!
Steve

asric.vcf (180 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Portaris??

Fabian Groffen-2
Hi Steven,

The status of Portaris is unknown to me.  Gentoo/Alt:Prefix is a
different project, but currently working on Solaris 9 and 10 sparc/x86.

Note however that Prefix is still in an experimental stage.

You can try out
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-solaris.xml

We're interested in hearing how that works out on nexenta or schillix.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Re: Portaris??

Steven Ringwald
Fabian Groffen wrote:

> The status of Portaris is unknown to me.  Gentoo/Alt:Prefix is a
> different project, but currently working on Solaris 9 and 10 sparc/x86.
>
> Note however that Prefix is still in an experimental stage.
>
> You can try out
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-solaris.xml
>
> We're interested in hearing how that works out on nexenta or schillix.

Thanks. I will try it out. What I would really love to see is something
like the "standard" gentoo; There is a Universal CD/DVD, that contains
just enough software to partition/install an OpenSolaris kernel (stage1
and stage2 software tarballs), and everything else comes from the
portage system. I really like the Solaris kernel, and especially the
ZFS, and nexenta is "nice", but I would really like to have more control
over the packages installed. I had thought that Portaris was a first
step towards making this happen, and that the gentoo-alt group was the
group for "alternate platforms". I will give your link a looking at when
I hop into the nexenta VM next, and will let you know how everything works.

Again, thanks for the response, and sorry if I misunderstood the nature
of this list.

Fabian Groffen wrote:

> The status of Portaris is unknown to me.  Gentoo/Alt:Prefix is a
> different project, but currently working on Solaris 9 and 10 sparc/x86.
>
> Note however that Prefix is still in an experimental stage.
>
> You can try out
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-solaris.xml
>
> We're interested in hearing how that works out on nexenta or schillix.

It gets pretty far.  Some caveats:

1. ./bootstrap-prefix.sh  does not detect my make version correctly, so
I needed to make a symlink from /usr/bin/make to /usr/bin/gmake, and
then everything was happy.

2. The bootstrap process seemed to go fairly well. Only thing that
didn't work was the ./bootstrap-prefix.sh grep. I got the following error:

:dfa.c:(.text+0xa96): undefined reference to `libintl_gettext'
dfa.o:dfa.c:(.text+0xb71): more undefined references to
`libintl_gettext' followcollect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[2]: *** [grep] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/root/Gentoo/tmp/var/tmp/grep-2.5.1a/grep-2.5.1a/src'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/root/Gentoo/tmp/var/tmp/grep-2.5.1a/grep-2.5.1a'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

I am in the process of bootstrapping portage (and just skipping the
step, since it seemed to find my system grep (/usr/bin/grep) just fine.

My particulars:

Nexenta Elatte Alpha 7

uname -a output:

SunOS sparky 5.11 NexentaOS_20070402 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris
(running in x86_64 mode).

Bootstrap output:
* Bootstrapping Gentoo prefixed portage installation using
* host: i386-pc-solaris2.11
* prefix: /root/Gentoo/tmp

Hope this helps. Will send more info, if (as) I have further progress.

Thanks!
Steve

Re: Portaris??

Fabrizio Listello
Have you had any problem with lebperl / perl using 5.11?
I had to do a patch for it (sorry, not yet submitted ). Let me know if
you need it too.

On 7/22/07, Steven Ringwald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > The status of Portaris is unknown to me.  Gentoo/Alt:Prefix is a
> > different project, but currently working on Solaris 9 and 10 sparc/x86.
> >
> > Note however that Prefix is still in an experimental stage.
> >
> > You can try out
> > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-solaris.xml
> >
> > We're interested in hearing how that works out on nexenta or schillix.
> >
> It gets pretty far.  Some caveats:
>
> 1. ./bootstrap-prefix.sh  does not detect my make version correctly, so
> I needed to make a symlink from /usr/bin/make to /usr/bin/gmake, and
> then everything was happy.
>
> 2. The bootstrap process seemed to go fairly well. Only thing that
> didn't work was the ./bootstrap-prefix.sh grep. I got the following error:
>
> :dfa.c:(.text+0xa96): undefined reference to `libintl_gettext'
> dfa.o:dfa.c:(.text+0xb71): more undefined references to
> `libintl_gettext' followcollect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> gmake[2]: *** [grep] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory
> `/root/Gentoo/tmp/var/tmp/grep-2.5.1a/grep-2.5.1a/src'
> gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory
> `/root/Gentoo/tmp/var/tmp/grep-2.5.1a/grep-2.5.1a'
> gmake: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I am in the process of bootstrapping portage (and just skipping the
> step, since it seemed to find my system grep (/usr/bin/grep) just fine.
>
> My particulars:
>
> Nexenta Elatte Alpha 7
>
> uname -a output:
>
> SunOS sparky 5.11 NexentaOS_20070402 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris
> (running in x86_64 mode).
>
> Bootstrap output:
> * Bootstrapping Gentoo prefixed portage installation using
> * host: i386-pc-solaris2.11
> * prefix: /root/Gentoo/tmp
>

> Hope this helps. Will send more info, if (as) I have further progress.
>
> Thanks!
> Steve

FList

Re: Portaris??

Steven Ringwald
Fabrizio Listello wrote:
> Have you had any problem with lebperl / perl using 5.11?
> I had to do a patch for it (sorry, not yet submitted ). Let me know if
> you need it too.

Yes. That is my current little bother. Have been trying to work through
it here and there when I get a moment, but a patch would be *very* helpful.

Thanks!
Steve

Re: Portaris??

Fabrizio Listello
Here is the patch for the ebuild and the patch for perlio.c (this
should be reported upstream or researched further)

On 7/28/07, »Steven Ringwald« <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fabrizio Listello wrote:
> > Have you had any problem with lebperl / perl using 5.11?
> > I had to do a patch for it (sorry, not yet submitted ). Let me know if
> > you need it too.
>
> Yes. That is my current little bother. Have been trying to work through
> it here and there when I get a moment, but a patch would be *very* helpful.
>
> Thanks!
> Steve

FList

libperl-5.8.8-r01.1.ebuild.patch (636 bytes) Download Attachment
libperl-5.8.8-solaris2.11-PerlIOStdio_invalidate_fileno.patch (948 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Portaris??

Fabrizio Listello
And that's for perl ebuild

--

FList

perl-5.8.8-r2.ebuild.patch (628 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Portaris??

Steven Ringwald

Fabrizio Listello wrote:
> And that's for perl ebuild

Thanks for the ebuild patches. It has been a little hectic this week,
but I will give them a shot this weekend.

Steve

asric.vcf (222 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Portaris??

ecstasy
Steven Ringwald wrote
Fabian Groffen wrote:
> The status of Portaris is unknown to me.  Gentoo/Alt:Prefix is a
> different project, but currently working on Solaris 9 and 10 sparc/x86.
>
> Note however that Prefix is still in an experimental stage.
>
> You can try out
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-solaris.xml
>
> We're interested in hearing how that works out on nexenta or schillix.

It gets pretty far.  Some caveats:

1. ./bootstrap-prefix.sh  does not detect my make version correctly, so
I needed to make a symlink from /usr/bin/make to /usr/bin/gmake, and
then everything was happy.

2. The bootstrap process seemed to go fairly well. Only thing that
didn't work was the ./bootstrap-prefix.sh grep. I got the following error:

:dfa.c:(.text+0xa96): undefined reference to `libintl_gettext'
dfa.o:dfa.c:(.text+0xb71): more undefined references to
`libintl_gettext' followcollect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[2]: *** [grep] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/root/Gentoo/tmp/var/tmp/grep-2.5.1a/grep-2.5.1a/src'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/root/Gentoo/tmp/var/tmp/grep-2.5.1a/grep-2.5.1a'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

I am in the process of bootstrapping portage (and just skipping the
step, since it seemed to find my system grep (/usr/bin/grep) just fine.

My particulars:

Nexenta Elatte Alpha 7

uname -a output:

SunOS sparky 5.11 NexentaOS_20070402 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris
(running in x86_64 mode).

Bootstrap output:
* Bootstrapping Gentoo prefixed portage installation using
* host: i386-pc-solaris2.11
* prefix: /root/Gentoo/tmp

Hope this helps. Will send more info, if (as) I have further progress.

Thanks!
Steve

I get above grep error but can't find /usr/bin/grep in console output.

I skip as mentioned and get as far (in http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-solaris.xml guide) as entering:
emerge --oneshot "=sys-apps/sed-4.1.4*"

but get:

root@server:/export/home/ecstasy# emerge --oneshot "=sys-apps/sed-4.1.4*"

!!! /root/gentoo/etc/make.profile is not a symlink and will probably prevent most merges.
!!! It should point into a profile within /root/gentoo/usr/portage/profiles/
!!! (You can safely ignore this message when syncing. It's harmless.)

!!! ARCH is not set... Are you missing the '/etc/make.profile' symlink?
!!! Is the symlink correct? Is your portage tree complete?

I don't have a /root/gentoo/etc/make.profile

can anyone help?