Problem with permisions

Allan Spagnol Comar
Hi all, I make a mistake and need some assistence now....

I had copied my /bin, /sbin, /etc, /usr, /var, /home, /tmp to
partitions that wasn´t the originals.... so when I make the copie I do
not remember to use -p option and now almost nothing is working
because of permitions.... I do not have the originals any more and I
don´t now how to restore this.... Anyone has a idea of what this
permitions are and how I can get to it.....

for exemple, if I try to su it said authentication failure even before
the password and the user trying to su on wheel group.... I can not
change logs because of var permitions ....  things like that .....

Snip .... if someone had an idea or the map of permitions i will be
glad .... thanks....
Allan
--
An application asked:
"Requeires Windows 9x, NT4 or better",

Re: Problem with permisions

ti.liame
On Sunday 06 November 2005 00:18, Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:

> Hi all, I make a mistake and need some assistence now....
>
> I had copied my /bin, /sbin, /etc, /usr, /var, /home, /tmp to
> partitions that wasn´t the originals.... so when I make the copie I
> do not remember to use -p option and now almost nothing is working
> because of permitions.... I do not have the originals any more and I
> don´t now how to restore this.... Anyone has a idea of what this
> permitions are and how I can get to it.....
>
> for exemple, if I try to su it said authentication failure even
> before the password and the user trying to su on wheel group.... I
> can not change logs because of var permitions ....  things like that
>
> Snip .... if someone had an idea or the map of permitions i will be
> glad .... thanks....
> Allan

The information about files permissions isn't easily recoverable...

With this command (it takes a very long time to run!) you will know wich
programs reinstall:
for i in $(ls -1 /bin /sbin) ; do equery belongs $i ;done  | sort | uniq

/tmp permissions are 1777 if I rememeber correctly.
/home is not vital for system sanity, defer its recovery

Mount your system in chroot as if you would install your Gentoo (use the
installation CD and install guide, skipping partitioning, formatting,
bootstrap...!) and rebuild system programs and those listed by the
command above.

Another option, much faster is to skip the equery step, mount the chroot
and:
"emerge -e system"
Other programs complaining about permissions can be restored in a
following phase, from within the running system.

Ciao
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.12-gentoo-r9, Compiled #2 Wed Aug 24 18:43:16 CEST
2005

Re: Re: Problem with permisions

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
Francesco Talamona wrote:

>/tmp permissions are 1777 if I rememeber correctly.
>/home is not vital for system sanity, defer its recovery

Here are some other directories that do not have 'standard' permissions
(root:root -rwxr-xr-x):

root portage 0755 ./etc/portage
root portage 02775 ./etc/portage/sets
root lp 0775 ./etc/cups
root lp 0755 ./etc/cups/ppd
root lp 0711 ./etc/cups/certs
root root 0700 ./etc/hibernate
root root 0700 ./etc/lvm/backup
root root 0700 ./etc/lvm/archive
root root 0555 ./proc
root root 01777 ./tmp

Directory permissions won't be fixed by any emerge, so you'll have to fix these manually.

-Richard