Problem with virtual desktops in Plasma

Martin Mokrý
Hello.
I have problem with number of virtual desktops in Plasma.
In my configuration file .config/kwinrc are declared 7 desktops with names.
But when I try to look at GUI system settings of virtual desktops, there is only 1. When I change it to another number, confirm, click on another settings panel (for example bordes) and then return to settings of virtual desktops, there is again only 1 desktop.
But when I change beetwen virtual desktops by using keys (CTRL+Fx), it works like it is in kwinrc file. I see number and name of desktop in center of screen for a while. Virtual desktop applet is showing only 1 desktop. Where can be problem?

Martin "Megac" Mokry

Re: Problem with virtual desktops in Plasma

Davyd McColl

On January 27, 2019 10:01:18 AM Martin Mokrý <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
> I have problem with number of virtual desktops in Plasma.
> In my configuration file .config/kwinrc are declared 7 desktops with names.
> But when I try to look at GUI system settings of virtual desktops, there is
> only 1. When I change it to another number, confirm, click on another
> settings panel (for example bordes) and then return to settings of virtual
> desktops, there is again only 1 desktop.
> But when I change beetwen virtual desktops by using keys (CTRL+Fx), it
> works like it is in kwinrc file. I see number and name of desktop in center
> of screen for a while. Virtual desktop applet is showing only 1 desktop.
> Where can be problem?

Check the setting about rows vs columns. That's caught me out before - I've also set up 6 virtual desktops and then it only appears that I have one because I have them as 1 row x 1 column. It's a bit of a ux fail.

> Martin "Megac" Mokry

Re: Problem with virtual desktops in Plasma

Martin Mokrý

Dňa 27. 1. 2019 o 9:14 Davyd McColl napísal(a):

I tried to set more that 1 rows in virtual desktop settings, but both, number of desktop and number of rows return to 1 after returning to virtual desktop settings configuration panel.

On January 27, 2019 10:29:57 Martin Mokrý <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dňa 27. 1. 2019 o 9:14 Davyd McColl napísal(a):
>>
>> On January 27, 2019 10:01:18 AM Martin Mokrý <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello.
>> > I have problem with number of virtual desktops in Plasma.
>> > In my configuration file .config/kwinrc are declared 7 desktops with
>> names.
>> > But when I try to look at GUI system settings of virtual desktops,
>> there is
>> > only 1. When I change it to another number, confirm, click on another
>> > settings panel (for example bordes) and then return to settings of
>> virtual
>> > desktops, there is again only 1 desktop.
>> > But when I change beetwen virtual desktops by using keys (CTRL+Fx), it
>> > works like it is in kwinrc file. I see number and name of desktop in
>> center
>> > of screen for a while. Virtual desktop applet is showing only 1 desktop.
>> > Where can be problem?
>>

>> Check the setting about rows vs columns. That's caught me out before -
>> I've also set up 6 virtual desktops and then it only appears that I
>> have one because I have them as 1 row x 1 column. It's a bit of a ux
>> fail.
>>

>> > --
>> > Martin "Megac" Mokry
>>
> I tried to set more that 1 rows in virtual desktop settings, but both,
> number of desktop and number of rows return to 1 after returning to
> virtual desktop settings configuration panel.

Using the desktops widget from the task bar, I see two settings:
- Number of desktops
- Number of rows
I currently have both set to 3 and that's working for me (I recently started only using 3 virtual desktops at home)
Try that? (or something similar)

Re: Problem with virtual desktops in Plasma

Martin Mokrý

Dňa 27. 1. 2019 o 9:38 Davyd McColl napísal(a):

I dont have settings of number of rows and desktops in my widget. Only settings of what is showing (number of desktop, name, nothing) and what to do when I click on current desktop. When I right-click on widget there is also "Add new desktop" which open system settings where I see only number 1. But when I go with mouse over the widget it shows names of windows that are running on any desktops, not only the first.

On January 27, 2019 11:22:28 Martin Mokrý <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dňa 27. 1. 2019 o 9:38 Davyd McColl napísal(a):
>>
>> On January 27, 2019 10:29:57 Martin Mokrý <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> > Dňa 27. 1. 2019 o 9:14 Davyd McColl napísal(a):

>> (CTRL+Fx), it
>> desktop.

>> > I tried to set more that 1 rows in virtual desktop settings, but both,
>> > number of desktop and number of rows return to 1 after returning to
>> > virtual desktop settings configuration panel.
>> >

>> Using the desktops widget from the task bar, I see two settings:
>> - Number of desktops
>> - Number of rows
>> I currently have both set to 3 and that's working for me (I recently
>> started only using 3 virtual desktops at home)
>> Try that? (or something similar)
>>

> I dont have settings of number of rows and desktops in my widget. Only
> settings of what is showing (number of desktop, name, nothing) and what
> to do when I click on current desktop. When I right-click on widget
> there is also "Add new desktop" which open system settings where I see
> only number 1. But when I go with mouse over the widget it shows names
> of windows that are running on any desktops, not only the first.

Hm, what version of plasma? Whilst I do have a few things ~amd64, most of plasma (barring one other widget - redshift) is amd64. System Information reports plasma version 5.14.5

I have 5.14.5 too, on amd64

Re: Problem with virtual desktops in Plasma

Martin Mokrý
I tried to create new user, and the problem remained. So it is not
problem in my user configuration.

Re: Problem with virtual desktops in Plasma (partialy solved)

Martin Mokrý
Dňa 27. 1. 2019 o 11:07 Martin Mokrý napísal(a):
> I tried to create new user, and the problem remained. So it is not
> problem in my user configuration.

It´s problem with the Wayland. I tried to run Plasma normaly and it
works! Now how to repair Wayland ...

On January 29, 2019 8:17:53 AM Martin Mokrý <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dňa 27. 1. 2019 o 11:07 Martin Mokrý napísal(a):
>> I tried to create new user, and the problem remained. So it is not
>> problem in my user configuration.
>

> It´s problem with the Wayland. I tried to run Plasma normaly and it
> works! Now how to repair Wayland ...
Thanks for reporting back here - I've been scratching my head about this
for a while. Of course, I'm not using Wayland.