Problems with Squid

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problems with Squid

Andrew Gaylard
Hello gentoo alpha people,

I've noticed a problem starting up squid on my Miata box:

Jan 30 02:47:01 supper squid[6558]: Squid Parent: child process 6560 started
Jan 30 02:47:01 supper (squid): comm_select_init: epoll_create(): (78) Function not implemented
Jan 30 02:47:01 supper squid[6558]: Squid Parent: child process 6560 exited due to signal 6
Jan 30 02:47:04 supper squid[6558]: Squid Parent: child process 6676 started
Jan 30 02:47:04 supper (squid): comm_select_init: epoll_create(): (78) Function not implemented
Jan 30 02:47:05 supper squid[6558]: Squid Parent: child process 6676 exited due to signal 6
Jan 30 02:47:08 supper squid[6558]: Squid Parent: child process 6873 started
Jan 30 02:47:08 supper (squid): comm_select_init: epoll_create(): (78) Function not implemented
Jan 30 02:47:08 supper squid[6558]: Squid Parent: child process 6873 exited due to signal 6
Jan 30 02:47:11 supper squid[6558]: Squid Parent: child process 6875 started
Jan 30 02:47:11 supper (squid): comm_select_init: epoll_create(): (78) Function not implemented
Jan 30 02:47:11 supper squid[6558]: Squid Parent: child process 6875 exited due to signal 6
Jan 30 02:47:14 supper squid[6558]: Squid Parent: child process 6877 started
Jan 30 02:47:14 supper (squid): comm_select_init: epoll_create(): (78) Function not implemented
Jan 30 02:47:14 supper squid[6558]: Squid Parent: child process 6877 exited due to signal 6
Jan 30 02:47:14 supper squid[6558]: Exiting due to repeated, frequent failures

The system's up to date as far as I can tell:

net-proxy/squid-2.6.7
sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r4
sys-devel/gcc-3.4.6-r2
sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.11-r4

What am I missing?

Andrew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Squid

Jose Luis Rivero
Andrew Gaylard escribió:
> Hello gentoo alpha people,
>
> I've noticed a problem starting up squid on my Miata box:
>
> Jan 30 02:47:01 supper squid[6558]: Squid Parent: child process 6560 started
> Jan 30 02:47:01 supper (squid): comm_select_init: epoll_create(): (78)
> Function not implemented
[snip]

>
> The system's up to date as far as I can tell:
>
> net-proxy/squid-2.6.7
> sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r4
> sys-devel/gcc-3.4.6-r2
> sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.11-r4
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Andrew

I'm also able to reproduce the failure. The situation, as far as I can
see,is as follow:

The problem was reported in bug #160637[1]. The maintainer solution[2]
applied was patch the ebuild to check if epoll support was enabled in
the kernel.

Ebuild works just fine, detecting if the kernel has the epoll support
enabled[3] and adding the proper --enable-epoll in that case.

So if the kernel has support for it, the problem should be in a
different place, probably glibc or linux-headers. I found a test case[4]
you can run just compiling it.

Later, I'll reopen the bug and see if one of our toolchain ninjas can
give it a try.

As a workaround, you can disable the epoll support commenting out the
"myconf ..." line in the ebuild (not tested but should work).

Thanks for reporting,
Regards.

--
Jose Luis Rivero <[hidden email]>
Gentoo/Doc Gentoo/Alpha


[1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160637

[2]
-------------------
if kernel_is ge 2 6 && linux_chkconfig_present EPOLL ; then
        myconf="${myconf} --enable-epoll"
fi
-------------------

[3] # grep 'CONFIG_EPOLL' /usr/src/linux/.config

[4] http://www.xmailserver.org/linux-patches/pipetest.c
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Squid

Andrew Gaylard
On 1/30/07, "José Luis Rivero (yoswink)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

As a workaround, you can disable the epoll support commenting out the
"myconf ..." line in the ebuild (not tested but should work).

Thanks!  The workaround does indeed work. (Actually I edited my /usr/src/linux/.config,
since emerge complained about the .ebuild file being the wrong size.)

Andrew

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Squid

Jose Luis Rivero
Andrew Gaylard wrote:

> On 1/30/07, *"José Luis Rivero (yoswink)"* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>
>     As a workaround, you can disable the epoll support commenting out the
>     "myconf ..." line in the ebuild (not tested but should work).
>
>
> Thanks!  The workaround does indeed work. (Actually I edited my
> /usr/src/linux/.config,
> since emerge complained about the .ebuild file being the wrong size.)
>

Yes, you've manually altered the ebuild and this is something portage
doesn't like (for security reasons). The easy solution was to regenerate
the manifest:

# ebuild <path-to-squid-ebuild> digest

BTW, back on topic, bug #160637[1] for those who are interested is the
workspace for the epoll squid bug.

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160637

Regards.

--
Jose Luis Rivero [[hidden email]]
Gentoo/Doc Gentoo/Alpha
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Squid

Jose Luis Rivero
Jose Luis Rivero (YosWinK) escribió:
>
> BTW, back on topic, bug #160637[1] for those who are interested is the
> workspace for the epoll squid bug.
>
> [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160637
>

Ok, thanks to vapier we already have the problem identified and a
working patch. The bug was in linux-headers which don't define properly
the epoll system calls in alpha.

The patch has been discussed in lkml[1] and will be included in the next
version of gentoo linux-headers.

Regards.

--
Jose Luis Rivero <[hidden email]>
Gentoo/Doc Gentoo/Alpha
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Squid

Andrew Gaylard
On 2/2/07, "José Luis Rivero (yoswink)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jose Luis Rivero (YosWinK) escribió:
>
> BTW, back on topic, bug #160637[1] for those who are interested is the
> workspace for the epoll squid bug.
>
> [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160637
>

Ok, thanks to vapier we already have the problem identified and a
working patch. The bug was in linux-headers which don't define properly
the epoll system calls in alpha.

Excellent! Thanks, vapier.

The patch has been discussed in lkml[1] and will be included in the next
version of gentoo linux-headers.

 Any idea when it'll be released?

Andrew