Problems with mysql 4.1 upgrade

Kevin Philp
Last week I upgraded to mysql 4.1.14. I carefully followed every line
of the upgrade guide inlcuding the revdep-rebuild and at the end I had
a lovely new mysql 4.1 and all my databases had imported with no
problems, phpmyadmin also worked fine. Now....about a week later I
can't start mysql:

/etc/init.d/mysql start - says mysql has already started but it hasn't
(ps aux | grep -i my* shows nothing)

mysql shows
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

I have checked permissions on var/run/mysqld as recommended in another
post and they are correct. I am running out of ideas....anyone any
further ideas??

Thanks

Kevin.

Re: Problems with mysql 4.1 upgrade

Catalin Trifu
    Hi,

    What does the mysql log say ? /var/lib/mysql/host.err

Catalin

Kevin Philp wrote:
Last week I upgraded to mysql 4.1.14. I carefully followed every line
of the upgrade guide inlcuding the revdep-rebuild and at the end I had
a lovely new mysql 4.1 and all my databases had imported with no
problems, phpmyadmin also worked fine. Now....about a week later I
can't start mysql:

/etc/init.d/mysql start - says mysql has already started but it hasn't
(ps aux | grep -i my* shows nothing)

mysql shows
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

I have checked permissions on var/run/mysqld as recommended in another
post and they are correct. I am running out of ideas....anyone any
further ideas??

Thanks

Kevin.

Re: Problems with mysql 4.1 upgrade

Remy Blank
Kevin Philp wrote:
> /etc/init.d/mysql start - says mysql has already started but it hasn't
> (ps aux | grep -i my* shows nothing)

If you are sure mysql isn't started, try:

/etc/init.d/mysql zap

Then start it again:

/etc/init.d/mysql start

BTW, this is not mysql-specific. If a service crashes for any reason,
the initscript framework may think it is still running (e.g. if it
didn't clean up its pid file). "zap" cleans that up, so that it can be
started again.

HTH.
-- Remy

Remove underscore and suffix in reply address for a timely response.

Re: Problems with mysql 4.1 upgrade

Kevin Philp
I don't seem to have the log file you mention but this is in the
mysqld.err file.

/var/log/mysql/mysqld.err
InnoDB: Error: log file ./ib_logfile0 is of different size 0 8388608 bytes
InnoDB: than specified in the .cnf file 0 5242880 bytes!
051107  9:13:17 [ERROR] Can't init databases
051107  9:13:17 [ERROR] Aborting

I did read that innodb was a use flag (its not in my make.conf) and
emerge -pv mysql doesn't show it up.

On 07/11/05, Catalin Trifu <[hidden email]> wrote:

>      Hi,
>
>      What does the mysql log say ? /var/lib/mysql/host.err
>
>  Catalin
>

>  Kevin Philp wrote:
>  Last week I upgraded to mysql 4.1.14. I carefully followed every line
> of the upgrade guide inlcuding the revdep-rebuild and at the end I had
> a lovely new mysql 4.1 and all my databases had imported with no
> problems, phpmyadmin also worked fine. Now....about a week later I
> can't start mysql:
>
> /etc/init.d/mysql start - says mysql has already started but it hasn't
> (ps aux | grep -i my* shows nothing)
>
> mysql shows
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
>
> I have checked permissions on var/run/mysqld as recommended in another
> post and they are correct. I am running out of ideas....anyone any
> further ideas??
>
> Thanks
>
> Kevin.

Re: Problems with mysql 4.1 upgrade

Kevin Philp
I edited the my.cnf file and changed

innodb_log_file_size            = 5M

innodb_log_file_size            = 8M

and now it works again.

Kevin.

On 07/11/05, Kevin Philp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't seem to have the log file you mention but this is in the
> mysqld.err file.
>
> /var/log/mysql/mysqld.err
> InnoDB: Error: log file ./ib_logfile0 is of different size 0 8388608 bytes
> InnoDB: than specified in the .cnf file 0 5242880 bytes!
> 051107  9:13:17 [ERROR] Can't init databases
> 051107  9:13:17 [ERROR] Aborting
>
> I did read that innodb was a use flag (its not in my make.conf) and
> emerge -pv mysql doesn't show it up.
>
> On 07/11/05, Catalin Trifu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >      Hi,
> >
> >      What does the mysql log say ? /var/lib/mysql/host.err
> >
> >  Catalin
> >

> >  Kevin Philp wrote:
> >  Last week I upgraded to mysql 4.1.14. I carefully followed every line
> > of the upgrade guide inlcuding the revdep-rebuild and at the end I had
> > a lovely new mysql 4.1 and all my databases had imported with no
> > problems, phpmyadmin also worked fine. Now....about a week later I
> > can't start mysql:
> >
> > /etc/init.d/mysql start - says mysql has already started but it hasn't
> > (ps aux | grep -i my* shows nothing)
> >
> > mysql shows
> > ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> > '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
> >
> > I have checked permissions on var/run/mysqld as recommended in another
> > post and they are correct. I am running out of ideas....anyone any
> > further ideas??
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Kevin.

Re: Problems with mysql 4.1 upgrade

Catalin Trifu

    The default log size changed between 4.0 and 4.1 and when u upgraded
the /etc/mysql/my.cnf was overwriten.
    One solution would be to either remove the logs from /var/lib/mysql and restart the
server and let mysql rebuild the log files.
    Second is to edit the /etc/mysql/my.cnf and make the log size 8M for innodb (innodb_log_file_size)
    InnoDB is no longer a use flag, it is compiled by default.
    If you don't want to use innodb engine you can tell mysql in the conf file to skip_innodb.
    In case it still doesn't want to start, check the error log again.

Catalin