[RFC] Decommissioning of Documentation Project and move to Wiki Project

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[RFC] Decommissioning of Documentation Project and move to Wiki Project

Sven Vermeulen
Hi all,

As mentioned in a previous mail, we're going to decommission the Gentoo
Documentation Project (for now) and put all documentation development
efforts under the Gentoo Wiki Project umbrella. I am suggesting the
following approach to do so, in a gently manner.

I don't think there is a need for a waiting period between steps, but I
won't hurry the actions either. Step 5 will probably take a while anyway.

Please take a look at this and see if I'm forgetting something or not.

Wkr,
        Sven Vermeulen

#############################################################################

1. Update Gentoo Documentation Project wiki page with notification

I am going to add a warning on the Documentation Project wiki page to inform
readers that the project is being decommissioned, with an explanation why
(roughly, all documentation development is now purely done as wiki edits, no
need for an overarching project).

2. Remove links to Project:Documentation/Overview

This page was initially meant to give pointers to actively "edited" pages,
but the quality of various articles is already quite good, and there are not
many editors aware of how this overview was kept up-to-date (if at all).

The page is linked from a few locations (main wiki page, as well as
handbooks). Instead, I'll update those to point to the main wiki page (which
has "Documentation topics" under "Available documentation") as the best
entry point to the remainder of Gentoo's documentation.

3. Move "active" Project:Documentation docs to Project:Wiki

If I am not mistaken, there is a single document that is still quite active
and needed, which is Project:Documentation/Handbook_Development. I am going
to move that document to Project:Wiki as the document explains how the
handbook is maintained on the wiki.

All other documents will be mentioned under the "Obsolete" section of the
documentation project site, and they will all receive an obsolete message on
top of the article.

4. Remove all members from Gentoo Documentation Project

I will remove all members from the Gentoo Documentation Project and its
subproject, the Gentoo Documentation Translation Project. A single user will
remain (myself) with indication that it is for housekeeping until final
removal.

Note that there will be two developers (jkt and jaaf) who will no longer
have any active project associated with them!

5. Remove references to Gentoo Documentationn Project from *.gentoo.org

Go through the various resources that we have and ensure that there are no
references towards the GDP anymore (or at least not as an active project).

6. Drop infrastructural support for Gentoo Documentation

Next, the infrastructural services for the Gentoo Documentation will be
cleaned up. This means mailinglists and aliases (I don't think there is a
repository specific to the GDP).

7. Remove Project:Documentation from the wiki

Finally, clean up the last traces of the GDP from the wiki.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RFC] Decommissioning of Documentation Project and move to Wiki Project

Joshua Saddler

> On Aug 1, 2016, at 10:24 AM, Sven Vermeulen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> As mentioned in a previous mail, we're going to decommission the Gentoo
> Documentation Project (for now) and put all documentation development
> efforts under the Gentoo Wiki Project umbrella. I am suggesting the
> following approach to do so, in a gently manner.
>
> I don't think there is a need for a waiting period between steps, but I
> won't hurry the actions either. Step 5 will probably take a while anyway.
>
> Please take a look at this and see if I'm forgetting something or not.
>
> Wkr,
> Sven Vermeulen
>
> #############################################################################
>
> 1. Update Gentoo Documentation Project wiki page with notification
>
> I am going to add a warning on the Documentation Project wiki page to inform
> readers that the project is being decommissioned, with an explanation why
> (roughly, all documentation development is now purely done as wiki edits, no
> need for an overarching project).
>
> 2. Remove links to Project:Documentation/Overview
>
> This page was initially meant to give pointers to actively "edited" pages,
> but the quality of various articles is already quite good, and there are not
> many editors aware of how this overview was kept up-to-date (if at all).
>
> The page is linked from a few locations (main wiki page, as well as
> handbooks). Instead, I'll update those to point to the main wiki page (which
> has "Documentation topics" under "Available documentation") as the best
> entry point to the remainder of Gentoo's documentation.
>
> 3. Move "active" Project:Documentation docs to Project:Wiki
>
> If I am not mistaken, there is a single document that is still quite active
> and needed, which is Project:Documentation/Handbook_Development. I am going
> to move that document to Project:Wiki as the document explains how the
> handbook is maintained on the wiki.
>
> All other documents will be mentioned under the "Obsolete" section of the
> documentation project site, and they will all receive an obsolete message on
> top of the article.
>
> 4. Remove all members from Gentoo Documentation Project
>
> I will remove all members from the Gentoo Documentation Project and its
> subproject, the Gentoo Documentation Translation Project. A single user will
> remain (myself) with indication that it is for housekeeping until final
> removal.
>
> Note that there will be two developers (jkt and jaaf) who will no longer
> have any active project associated with them!
>
> 5. Remove references to Gentoo Documentationn Project from *.gentoo.org
>
> Go through the various resources that we have and ensure that there are no
> references towards the GDP anymore (or at least not as an active project).
>
> 6. Drop infrastructural support for Gentoo Documentation
>
> Next, the infrastructural services for the Gentoo Documentation will be
> cleaned up. This means mailinglists and aliases (I don't think there is a
> repository specific to the GDP).
>
> 7. Remove Project:Documentation from the wiki
>
> Finally, clean up the last traces of the GDP from the wiki.

does this mean that existing GDP members should add ourselves to the Wiki project(1) to list our continued involvement in maintaining the wiki docs?

(1) https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Wiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RFC] Decommissioning of Documentation Project and move to Wiki Project

Sven Vermeulen
On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 07:15:51PM -0700, joshua saddler wrote:
>
> > On Aug 1, 2016, at 10:24 AM, Sven Vermeulen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As mentioned in a previous mail, we're going to decommission the Gentoo
> > Documentation Project (for now) and put all documentation development
> > efforts under the Gentoo Wiki Project umbrella. I am suggesting the
> > following approach to do so, in a gently manner.
[...]

> > 4. Remove all members from Gentoo Documentation Project
> >
> > I will remove all members from the Gentoo Documentation Project and its
> > subproject, the Gentoo Documentation Translation Project. A single user will
> > remain (myself) with indication that it is for housekeeping until final
> > removal.
> >
> > Note that there will be two developers (jkt and jaaf) who will no longer
> > have any active project associated with them!
>
> does this mean that existing GDP members should add ourselves to the Wiki project(1) to list our continued involvement in maintaining the wiki docs?

This is up to the Wiki project to see if they find that editors who are also
Gentoo developers can add them to that project or not. I *think* that it is
not meant to contain editors/authors, a few exceptions notwithstanding.

Wkr,
        Sven Vermeulen