RFC: Dropping alpha keywords to unstable

RFC: Dropping alpha keywords to unstable

Matt Turner-5
Hello,

It makes me a bit sad to say, having helped maintain Gentoo's DEC Alpha
port for more than 10 years, that I think it is time to drop our stable
keywords to ~alpha.

Stable testing is a valuable service we provide to users. Time invested
by developers during stabilization has the potential to pay dividends to
users multiple times over.

But the presumption in that statement is that the number of users
meaningfully greater than the number of developers. I no longer believe
this is the case for Alpha.

As a result, I don't think it's a good use of my time to perform stable
testing on alpha.

I plan to keep the profiles "stable" (meaning no depgraph breakages) but
to change to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~alpha".

Thoughts?

Matt

Re: RFC: Dropping alpha keywords to unstable

David Seifert
On Wed, 2020-01-15 at 21:47 -0800, Matt Turner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It makes me a bit sad to say, having helped maintain Gentoo's DEC
> Alpha
> port for more than 10 years, that I think it is time to drop our
> stable
> keywords to ~alpha.
>
> Stable testing is a valuable service we provide to users. Time
> invested
> by developers during stabilization has the potential to pay dividends
> users multiple times over.
>
> But the presumption in that statement is that the number of users
> meaningfully greater than the number of developers. I no longer
> believe
> this is the case for Alpha.
>
> As a result, I don't think it's a good use of my time to perform
> stable
> testing on alpha.
>
> I plan to keep the profiles "stable" (meaning no depgraph breakages)
> but
> to change to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~alpha".
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Matt

Thanks Matt, this will also help developers in cleaning up their
packages. I highly support this move.