RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Andreas K. Huettel
=====================================
Title: New 17.0 profiles in the Gentoo repository
Author: Andreas K. Hüttel <[hidden email]>
Posted: xxxxxxx
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 2.0
Display-If-Installed: >=sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0

We have just added a new set of profiles with release version 17.0
to the Gentoo repository. These bring two changes:
1) The default C++ language version for applications is now C++14.
   This change is mostly relevant to Gentoo developers. It also
   means, however, that compilers earlier than GCC 6 are masked
   and not supported for use as a system compiler anymore. Feel
   free to unmask them if you need them for specific applications.
2) Where supported, GCC will now build position-independent
   executables (PIE) by default. This improves the overall
   security fingerprint. The switch from non-PIE to PIE binaries,
   however, requires some steps by users, as detailed below.

Please consider switching from your current 13.0 profile to the
corresponding 17.0 profile soon after GCC-6.4.0 has been
stabilized on your architecture. The 13.0 profiles will be deprecated
and removed in the near future.

Switching involves the following steps:
If not already done,
* Use gcc-config to select gcc-6.4.0 or later as system compiler
* Re-source /etc/profile:
    . /etc/profile
* Re-emerge libtool
Then,
* Select the new profile with eselect
* Re-emerge, in this sequence, gcc, binutils, and glibc
    emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc:6.4.0
    emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils
    emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc
* Rebuild your entire system
    emerge -e world

If you do not follow these steps you may get spurious build
failures when the linker tries unsuccessfully to combine non-PIE
and PIE code.
=====================================

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
[hidden email]
Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)

signature.asc (1000 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Pacho Ramos
El lun, 09-10-2017 a las 22:58 +0200, Andreas K. Huettel escribió:

> =====================================
> Title: New 17.0 profiles in the Gentoo repository
> Author: Andreas K. Hüttel <[hidden email]>
> Posted: xxxxxxx
> Revision: 1
> News-Item-Format: 2.0
> Display-If-Installed: >=sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0
>
> We have just added a new set of profiles with release version 17.0
> to the Gentoo repository. These bring two changes:
> 1) The default C++ language version for applications is now C++14.
>    This change is mostly relevant to Gentoo developers. It also
>    means, however, that compilers earlier than GCC 6 are masked
>    and not supported for use as a system compiler anymore. Feel
>    free to unmask them if you need them for specific applications.
> 2) Where supported, GCC will now build position-independent
>    executables (PIE) by default. This improves the overall
>    security fingerprint. The switch from non-PIE to PIE binaries,
>    however, requires some steps by users, as detailed below.
>
> Please consider switching from your current 13.0 profile to the
> corresponding 17.0 profile soon after GCC-6.4.0 has been
> stabilized on your architecture. The 13.0 profiles will be deprecated
> and removed in the near future.
>
> Switching involves the following steps:
> If not already done,
> * Use gcc-config to select gcc-6.4.0 or later as system compiler
> * Re-source /etc/profile:
>     . /etc/profile
> * Re-emerge libtool

Could anyone with enough knowledge finally give a look to the patched vapier
provided in https://bugs.gentoo.org/88596 but never got committed?

Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Toralf Förster-2
On 10/09/2017 11:40 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> Could anyone with enough knowledge finally give a look to the patched vapier

s/patched/patches/

or ? :-)

--
Toralf
PGP 23217DA7 9B888F45



signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Magnus Granberg-2
In reply to this post by Andreas K. Huettel
måndag 9 oktober 2017 kl. 22:58:22 CEST skrev  Andreas K. Huettel:

> =====================================
> Title: New 17.0 profiles in the Gentoo repository
> Author: Andreas K. Hüttel <[hidden email]>
> Posted: xxxxxxx
> Revision: 1
> News-Item-Format: 2.0
> Display-If-Installed: >=sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0
>
> We have just added a new set of profiles with release version 17.0
> to the Gentoo repository. These bring tree changes:
> 1) The default C++ language version for applications is now C++14.
>    This change is mostly relevant to Gentoo developers. It also
>    means, however, that compilers earlier than GCC 6 are masked
>    and not supported for use as a system compiler anymore. Feel
>    free to unmask them if you need them for specific applications.
> 2) Where supported, GCC will now build position-independent
>    executables (PIE) by default. This improves the overall
>    security fingerprint. The switch from non-PIE to PIE binaries,
>    however, requires some steps by users, as detailed below.
>
3) Hardened profiles will be moved to the 17.0 profile as sub profile.

> Please consider switching from your current 13.0 profile to the
> corresponding 17.0 profile soon after GCC-6.4.0 has been
> stabilized on your architecture. The 13.0 profiles will be deprecated
> and removed in the near future.
>
> Switching involves the following steps:
> If not already done,
> * Use gcc-config to select gcc-6.4.0 or later as system compiler
> * Re-source /etc/profile:
>     . /etc/profile
> * Re-emerge libtool
> Then,
> * Select the new profile with eselect
> * Re-emerge, in this sequence, gcc, binutils, and glibc
>     emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc:6.4.0
>     emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils
>     emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc
> * Rebuild your entire system
>     emerge -e world
>
> If you do not follow these steps you may get spurious build
> failures when the linker tries unsuccessfully to combine non-PIE
> and PIE code.
> =====================================



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Duncan-42
In reply to this post by Andreas K. Huettel
Andreas K. Huettel posted on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 22:58:22 +0200 as excerpted:

> Please consider switching from your current 13.0 profile to the
> corresponding 17.0 profile soon after GCC-6.4.0 has been stabilized on
> your architecture. The 13.0 profiles will be deprecated and removed in
> the near future.
>
> Switching involves the following steps:
> If not already done,
> * Use gcc-config to select gcc-6.4.0 or later as system compiler
> * Re-source /etc/profile:
>     . /etc/profile
> * Re-emerge libtool Then,
> * Select the new profile with eselect
> * Re-emerge, in this sequence, gcc, binutils, and glibc
>     emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc:6.4.0
>     emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils
>     emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc
> * Rebuild your entire system
>     emerge -e world
>
> If you do not follow these steps you may get spurious build failures
> when the linker tries unsuccessfully to combine non-PIE and PIE code.

One thing isn't clear here.  Is this sequence necessary due to the
profile switch itself, because the /profile/ enables PIE by default, or
is it gcc-6.4+ that enables PIE, and the profile simply forces the PIE
default by forcing gcc-6.4+?

The answer makes a big difference to those already on gcc-6.4+ and who
presumably already did an empty-tree rebuild of @world when upgrading to
it, but not yet on the new profile.  Do they have to do all that again
when they switch profiles, or is that a bridge they've already crossed
with the gcc upgrade?

Either way, making the answer to that explicit should be useful, avoiding
either an unnecessary full rebuild, or avoiding the problems because the
news item wasn't clear and people already on gcc-6.4+ thought the
procedure didn't apply to them.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Pacho Ramos
In reply to this post by Toralf Förster-2
El mar, 10-10-2017 a las 00:23 +0200, Toralf Förster escribió:
> On 10/09/2017 11:40 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > Could anyone with enough knowledge finally give a look to the patched vapier
>
> s/patched/patches/
>
> or ? :-)
>

Yes :)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Kent Fredric-2
In reply to this post by Andreas K. Huettel
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 22:58:22 +0200
"Andreas K. Huettel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please consider switching from your current 13.0 profile to the
> corresponding 17.0 profile soon after GCC-6.4.0 has been
> stabilized on your architecture. The 13.0 profiles will be deprecated
> and removed in the near future.

Just  a question that only became apparent to me as I'm trying to
create a "mostly stable" keyworded chroot, but with this change added
to pick up defects:

Are there any specific versions of toolchain modules that should/must be used
in 17.0 to make it work with GCC-6.4.0?

All I did was:

- Forcibly create the profile symlink myself ( as its not visible to me
  yet with eselect )

- accept-keywords for gcc

- Followed remaining instructions.

And hopefully that should be sufficient.

binutils: 2.28.1
gcc: 6.4.0
glibc: 2.23-r4
libtool: 2.4.6-r3

I know this is typically a "don't mix ~arch and arch" thing, but I
can't actually test things that will break otherwise :p

attachment0 (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Andreas K. Huettel
In reply to this post by Magnus Granberg-2
Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2017, 01:15:42 CEST schrieb Magnus Granberg:

>
> 3) Hardened profiles will be moved to the 17.0 profile as sub profile.
>
Are there any special switching instructions for hardened that we need to add?

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
[hidden email]
Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)

signature.asc (1000 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Andreas K. Huettel
In reply to this post by Duncan-42
Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2017, 04:10:13 CEST schrieb Duncan:

> One thing isn't clear here.  Is this sequence necessary due to the
> profile switch itself, because the /profile/ enables PIE by default, or
> is it gcc-6.4+ that enables PIE, and the profile simply forces the PIE
> default by forcing gcc-6.4+?

Switching the profile changes the settings for building gcc (it switches a use-
flag from forced-off to forced-on). A gcc-6 built with the 17.0 profiles will
produce PIE executables by default, a gcc-6 built with the 13.0 profiles will
not.

I've added this paragraph:
# Switching the profile modifies the settings of GCC 6 to generate
# PIE executables by default; thus, you need to do the rebuilds
# even if you already used GCC 6 beforehand.

> The answer makes a big difference to those already on gcc-6.4+ and who
> presumably already did an empty-tree rebuild of @world when upgrading to
> it,

That's really not necessary anymore.


--
Andreas K. Hüttel
[hidden email]
Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)

signature.asc (1000 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Andreas K. Huettel
In reply to this post by Kent Fredric-2
Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2017, 09:51:43 CEST schrieb Kent Fredric:
>
> Are there any specific versions of toolchain modules that should/must be
> used in 17.0 to make it work with GCC-6.4.0?
>

Not that I know of. I'd use most recent stable though.

(And glibc-2.25 will most likely become stable before gcc-6.)

> All I did was:
> - Forcibly create the profile symlink myself ( as its not visible to me
>   yet with eselect )
> - accept-keywords for gcc
> - Followed remaining instructions.
> And hopefully that should be sufficient.

That should be perfectly fine.

>
> binutils: 2.28.1
> gcc: 6.4.0
> glibc: 2.23-r4
> libtool: 2.4.6-r3

> I know this is typically a "don't mix ~arch and arch" thing, but I
> can't actually test things that will break otherwise :p

The whole "don't mix ~arch and arch" credo is in my opinion a bit silly. If
mixing leads to bugs, these should be documented and fixed, if only with a
version dependency.

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
[hidden email]
Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)

signature.asc (1000 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RFC v2: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Andreas K. Huettel
In reply to this post by Andreas K. Huettel
=====================================
Title: New 17.0 profiles in the Gentoo repository
Author: Andreas K. Hüttel <[hidden email]>
Posted: xxxxxxx
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 2.0
Display-If-Installed: >=sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0

We have just added a new set of profiles with release version 17.0
to the Gentoo repository. These bring three changes:
1) The default C++ language version for applications is now C++14.
   This change is mostly relevant to Gentoo developers. It also
   means, however, that compilers earlier than GCC 6 are masked
   and not supported for use as a system compiler anymore. Feel
   free to unmask them if you need them for specific applications.
2) Where supported, GCC will now build position-independent
   executables (PIE) by default. This improves the overall
   security fingerprint. The switch from non-PIE to PIE binaries,
   however, requires some steps by users, as detailed below.
3) Up to now, hardened profiles were separate from the default
   profile tree. Now they are moving into the 17.0 profile
   as a feature there, similar to "no-multilib" and "systemd".

Please consider switching from your current 13.0 profile to the
corresponding 17.0 profile soon after GCC 6.4.0 has been
stabilized on your architecture. The 13.0 profiles will be deprecated
and removed in the near future.

Switching involves the following steps:
If not already done,
* Use gcc-config to select gcc-6.4.0 (or later) as system compiler
* Re-source /etc/profile:
    . /etc/profile
* Re-emerge libtool
Then,
* Select the new profile with eselect
* Re-emerge, in this sequence, the selected gcc, binutils, and glibc
    emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc:6.4.0
    emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils
    emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc
* Rebuild your entire system
    emerge -e world

Switching the profile modifies the use-flags of GCC 6 to generate
PIE executables by default; thus, you need to do the rebuilds
even if you already used GCC 6 beforehand.

If you do not follow these steps you may get spurious build
failures when the linker tries unsuccessfully to combine non-PIE
and PIE code.
=====================================



--
Andreas K. Hüttel
[hidden email]
Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)

signature.asc (1000 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC v2: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Alec Warner-2


On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Andreas K. Huettel <[hidden email]> wrote:
=====================================
Title: New 17.0 profiles in the Gentoo repository
Author: Andreas K. Hüttel <[hidden email]>
Posted: xxxxxxx
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 2.0
Display-If-Installed: >=sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0

We have just added a new set of profiles with release version 17.0
to the Gentoo repository. These bring three changes:
1) The default C++ language version for applications is now C++14.
   This change is mostly relevant to Gentoo developers. It also
   means, however, that compilers earlier than GCC 6 are masked
   and not supported for use as a system compiler anymore. Feel
   free to unmask them if you need them for specific applications.
2) Where supported, GCC will now build position-independent
   executables (PIE) by default. This improves the overall
   security fingerprint. The switch from non-PIE to PIE binaries,
   however, requires some steps by users, as detailed below.
3) Up to now, hardened profiles were separate from the default
   profile tree. Now they are moving into the 17.0 profile
   as a feature there, similar to "no-multilib" and "systemd".

Please consider switching from your current 13.0 profile to the
corresponding 17.0 profile soon after GCC 6.4.0 has been
stabilized on your architecture. The 13.0 profiles will be deprecated
and removed in the near future.

Can you commit to a deadline on this?

Its OK to be wrong (e.g. say 1 month but remove in 3); but "near future" is not actionable by readers.
 

Switching involves the following steps:
If not already done,
* Use gcc-config to select gcc-6.4.0 (or later) as system compiler
* Re-source /etc/profile:
    . /etc/profile
* Re-emerge libtool
Then,
* Select the new profile with eselect
* Re-emerge, in this sequence, the selected gcc, binutils, and glibc
    emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc:6.4.0
    emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils
    emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc
* Rebuild your entire system
    emerge -e world

Switching the profile modifies the use-flags of GCC 6 to generate
PIE executables by default; thus, you need to do the rebuilds
even if you already used GCC 6 beforehand.

If you do not follow these steps you may get spurious build
failures when the linker tries unsuccessfully to combine non-PIE
and PIE code.
=====================================



--
Andreas K. Hüttel
[hidden email]
Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Nils Freydank-2
In reply to this post by Andreas K. Huettel
Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2017, 20:56:32 CEST schrieb Andreas K. Huettel:
> Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2017, 01:15:42 CEST schrieb Magnus Granberg:
> > 3) Hardened profiles will be moved to the 17.0 profile as sub profile.
>
> Are there any special switching instructions for hardened that we need to
> add?
As far as I know hardened had the PIE enabled at least for a while, but it is
possible to switch to a non-PIE subprofile via gcc-config for gcc <6.

It looks to me as there isn’t any emtytree world rebuild necessary, as long as
someone comes from hardened with PIE enabled.
--
GPG fingerprint: '766B 8122 1342 6912 3401 492A 8B54 D7A3 FF3C DB17'
Holgersson

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Duncan-42
In reply to this post by Andreas K. Huettel
Andreas K. Huettel posted on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 21:02:32 +0200 as excerpted:

> Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2017, 04:10:13 CEST schrieb Duncan:
>
>> One thing isn't clear here.  Is this sequence necessary due to the
>> profile switch itself, because the /profile/ enables PIE by default, or
>> is it gcc-6.4+ that enables PIE, and the profile simply forces the PIE
>> default by forcing gcc-6.4+?
>
> Switching the profile changes the settings for building gcc (it switches
> a use-flag from forced-off to forced-on). A gcc-6 built with the 17.0
> profiles will produce PIE executables by default, a gcc-6 built with
> the 13.0 profiles will not.
>
> I've added this paragraph:
> # Switching the profile modifies the settings of GCC 6 to generate
> # PIE executables by default; thus, you need to do the rebuilds
> # even if you already used GCC 6 beforehand.

Thanks.  Much clearer now. =:^)

(And I'll have some rebuilding to do.)

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC v2: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Duncan-42
In reply to this post by Alec Warner-2
Alec Warner posted on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 15:28:41 -0400 as excerpted:

>> Please consider switching from your current 13.0 profile to the
>> corresponding 17.0 profile soon after GCC 6.4.0 has been stabilized on
>> your architecture. The 13.0 profiles will be deprecated and removed in
>> the near future.
>>
>>
> Can you commit to a deadline on this?
>
> Its OK to be wrong (e.g. say 1 month but remove in 3); but "near future"
> is not actionable by readers.

Will the 13.0 profiles be removed all together, or per-arch?

If they're removed all at the same time, then the time-limiting factor
will certainly be how long it takes the last arch to stabilize gcc-6.4+,
something that's likely not entirely predictable but that might take some
time, given gentoo's known issues with straggling archs.

If the existing profiles will be deprecated and removed per-arch, with
some fixed time after gcc-6.4+ stabilizes on that arch as a goal, then
the time for most popular and best maintained archs may be predicted now,
but the time will differ for each one, so the best that could be done
would be either a time range or a list of the known ones, with presently  
unknowns being added to the list in further revisions of the news item.

The other alternative might be to word it something like (1 year can be 6
months or whatever instead, if that works better):

"13.0 profiles are set to be removed one year after the last arch
stabilizes gcc-6.4+, with the goal for the gcc stabilization being the
end of 2017, meaning 13.0 profile removal is planned for the end of 2018
if all archs meet their gcc-6.4+ stabilization goal."

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC v2: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Alec Warner-2


On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:56 PM, Duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alec Warner posted on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 15:28:41 -0400 as excerpted:

>> Please consider switching from your current 13.0 profile to the
>> corresponding 17.0 profile soon after GCC 6.4.0 has been stabilized on
>> your architecture. The 13.0 profiles will be deprecated and removed in
>> the near future.
>>
>>
> Can you commit to a deadline on this?
>
> Its OK to be wrong (e.g. say 1 month but remove in 3); but "near future"
> is not actionable by readers.

Will the 13.0 profiles be removed all together, or per-arch?

If they're removed all at the same time, then the time-limiting factor
will certainly be how long it takes the last arch to stabilize gcc-6.4+,
something that's likely not entirely predictable but that might take some
time, given gentoo's known issues with straggling archs.

If the existing profiles will be deprecated and removed per-arch, with
some fixed time after gcc-6.4+ stabilizes on that arch as a goal, then
the time for most popular and best maintained archs may be predicted now,
but the time will differ for each one, so the best that could be done
would be either a time range or a list of the known ones, with presently
unknowns being added to the list in further revisions of the news item.

So my point isn't to be pedantic (that is why I said its OK to be incorrect.)

"In the near future" to me could mean:

1) tomorrow
2) next week
3) next month
4) next quarter

If we wrote:

"The 13.0 profiles will be removed in six weeks, upgrade before then." Its clear to the reader that
they should schedule this effort before the six weeks is up. It matters less if the six weeks is true; the email
sets expectations regardless of the truth.

We could rewrite it further to avoid the pedantry and say:

"Please upgrade away from the 13.0 profiles in the next six weeks."

This also sets expectations for readers, but avoids any specific guarantee around when Gentoo developers actually delete the 13.0 profiles.
The reality of when the work is done matters significantly less than the expectation setting (as you imply there will likely be unknowable delays in deprecation and so forth, but users shouldn't take that as an opportunity to delay upgrades.)

 

The other alternative might be to word it something like (1 year can be 6
months or whatever instead, if that works better):

"13.0 profiles are set to be removed one year after the last arch
stabilizes gcc-6.4+, with the goal for the gcc stabilization being the
end of 2017, meaning 13.0 profile removal is planned for the end of 2018
if all archs meet their gcc-6.4+ stabilization goal."

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC v2: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Walter Dnes
In reply to this post by Andreas K. Huettel
> Display-If-Installed: >=sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0

[...snip...]

> Switching the profile modifies the use-flags of GCC 6 to generate
> PIE executables by default; thus, you need to do the rebuilds
> even if you already used GCC 6 beforehand.
>
> If you do not follow these steps you may get spurious build
> failures when the linker tries unsuccessfully to combine non-PIE
> and PIE code.
> =====================================

  I'm on 6.3.0 on x86, which is currently unstable on *ALL* arches, and
"emerge -pv =sys-devel/gcc-6.3.0" shows "(-pie)".  Two questions...

1) Will 6.3.0 be skipped for stabilization?

2) If someone decides to override and set "-pie" in USE, will their
current systems continue to function?  On a new install I'll go with
the default, but "emerge -e" takes a long time on my current machine.
It's an ancient 2008 CORE2 with 3 gigs of ram, but it works fine for
me, including Youtube 1080P streaming.

--
Walter Dnes <[hidden email]>
I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC v2: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Aaron W. Swenson-2
In reply to this post by Andreas K. Huettel
On 2017-10-10 21:16, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> …
> Switching involves the following steps:
> If not already done,
> * Use gcc-config to select gcc-6.4.0 (or later) as system compiler
> * Re-source /etc/profile:
>     . /etc/profile
> * Re-emerge libtool

Should probably instruct users to upgrade all packages first because it
can be, as I’ve experienced, nearly impossible to upgrade GCC if the
world isn’t up to the latest stable.

An ‘emerge -avuDN world’ should do the trick as a first step.

> Then,
> * Select the new profile with eselect
> * Re-emerge, in this sequence, the selected gcc, binutils, and glibc
>     emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc:6.4.0
>     emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils
>     emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc

Some of these can take a while. Maybe we want to spell it out:

for p in sys-devel/gcc:6.4.0 sys-devel/binutils sys-libs/glibc; do
emerge -1 $p || break
done

signature.asc (386 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC v2: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Robin H. Johnson-2
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 08:10:02AM -0400, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
> Some of these can take a while. Maybe we want to spell it out:
>
> for p in sys-devel/gcc:6.4.0 sys-devel/binutils sys-libs/glibc; do
> emerge -1 $p || break
> done
Is gcc-config/binutils-config needed in this sequence as well?

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Asst. Treasurer
E-Mail   : [hidden email]
GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC v2: news item for the 17.0 profiles

Walter Dnes
In reply to this post by Walter Dnes
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 12:41:06AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote

>   I'm on 6.3.0 on x86, which is currently unstable on *ALL* arches, and
> "emerge -pv =sys-devel/gcc-6.3.0" shows "(-pie)".

   And x86 32-bit gcc-6.4.0 shows (-pie) as well...

==========================================================================

[d531][waltdnes][~] ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv =sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  NS    ] sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0:6.4.0::gentoo [6.3.0:6.3.0::gentoo] USE="cxx fortran nptl openmp sanitize vtv (-altivec) (-awt) -cilk -debug -doc (-fixed-point) (-gcj) -go -graphite (-hardened) (-jit) (-libssp) -mpx (-multilib) -nls -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -pch -pgo (-pie) -regression-test -ssp -vanilla" 74,379 KiB

--
Walter Dnes <[hidden email]>
I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications

12