RFC: request uid/gid for net-misc/stunnel

RFC: request uid/gid for net-misc/stunnel

Anthony G. Basile
Hi everyone,

I know that is my third time requesting a uid/gid for stunnel, but it
seems that my previous request was already taken but not added to the
uid-gid.txt file, so I didn't know about the collision.

Speaking with mgorny on #gentoo-dev, he suggested that we start simply
making a request, and he'll assign the highest free value(s) at the time.

So @mgorny, can i please have a UID and GID pair for stunnel.

Thanks!

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
GnuPG ID  : F52D4BBA

Re: RFC: request uid/gid for net-misc/stunnel

Michał Górny-5
On Sun, 2019-12-08 at 14:48 -0500, Anthony G. Basile wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I know that is my third time requesting a uid/gid for stunnel, but it
> seems that my previous request was already taken but not added to the
> uid-gid.txt file, so I didn't know about the collision.
>
> Speaking with mgorny on #gentoo-dev, he suggested that we start simply
> making a request, and he'll assign the highest free value(s) at the time.
>
> So @mgorny, can i please have a UID and GID pair for stunnel.

You misunderstood me.

I meant that if you don't care about the specific number, you just make
a request saying you'll take the highest free UID/GID pair at the time
(that said, please try to use matching UID/GID for convenience's sake).
That is, unless you want to take a specific lower number.

Since there's no point in waiting again, just look at uid-gid.txt, find
highest free UID/GID, verify that nobody else used or requested it.
Then commit it, and make sure to update uid-gid.txt.

Michał Górny

On 12/8/19 2:53 PM, Michał Górny wrote:

> On Sun, 2019-12-08 at 14:48 -0500, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I know that is my third time requesting a uid/gid for stunnel, but it
>> seems that my previous request was already taken but not added to the
>> uid-gid.txt file, so I didn't know about the collision.
>>
>> Speaking with mgorny on #gentoo-dev, he suggested that we start simply
>> making a request, and he'll assign the highest free value(s) at the time.
>>
>> So @mgorny, can i please have a UID and GID pair for stunnel.
>>

> You misunderstood me.
>
> I meant that if you don't care about the specific number, you just make
> a request saying you'll take the highest free UID/GID pair at the time
> (that said, please try to use matching UID/GID for convenience's sake).
> That is, unless you want to take a specific lower number.
>
> Since there's no point in waiting again, just look at uid-gid.txt, find
> highest free UID/GID, verify that nobody else used or requested it.
> Then commit it, and make sure to update uid-gid.txt.

Okay so when you said "i'll take highest free at the time" you meant
that's what the requester would say.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Okay, I'm requesting UID/GID = 492/492.  I'm committing in a sec.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
E-Mail    : [hidden email]
GnuPG FP  : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB  DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
GnuPG ID  : F52D4BBA

Re: RFC: request uid/gid for net-misc/stunnel

Ulrich Mueller-2

> Okay, I'm requesting UID/GID = 492/492.  I'm committing in a sec.

That's the ID used by arch for oprofile, so it's a bad choice.

Ulrich

On 12/8/19 2:59 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>> Okay, I'm requesting UID/GID = 492/492.  I'm committing in a sec.
>
> That's the ID used by arch for oprofile, so it's a bad choice.
>
> Ulrich

I give up!  How am I supposed to know what to choose if it isn't
requested in the uid-git.txt file?

GnuPG ID  : F52D4BBA

Re: RFC: request uid/gid for net-misc/stunnel

Ulrich Mueller-2

>>> Okay, I'm requesting UID/GID = 492/492.  I'm committing in a sec.
>>
>> That's the ID used by arch for oprofile, so it's a bad choice.

> I give up!  How am I supposed to know what to choose if it isn't
> requested in the uid-git.txt file?

Because I had pointed it out here:
https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/48d2696dc2f58d04f97de235f83cdac2

| We had skipped allocation for 492 and 493, because they're used for
| oprofile and oidentd in Archlinux, and we have these packages too.

Ulrich

Re: RFC: request uid/gid for net-misc/stunnel

Ulrich Mueller-2

> | We had skipped allocation for 492 and 493, because they're used for
> | oprofile and oidentd in Archlinux, and we have these packages too.

Anyway, stunnel is 341 now, and 492 is (provisionally) reserved
for oprofile.

Ulrich