Re: Begging For Help With ALSA and Lirc

Drew Tomlinson
On 11/3/2005 11:24 AM Christoph Eckert wrote:

>>But the two things I can't seem to get working are ALSA and lirc.  My
>>sound card is an Audigy that uses the emu10k1 driver.
>>

>if the module is loaded you shoud see the card when doing a
>cat /proc/asound/cards

Thank you for your response.  I do see the card:

tv mythtv # cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Audigy         ]: Audigy - Audigy 1 [SB0090]
                     Audigy 1 [SB0090] (rev.3, serial:0x511102) at
0x9400, irq 22

>>Following the
>>Gentoo ALSA guide (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml), I've
>>tried both the kernel and alsa-driver method.
>>

>I usually prefer the kernel method except there is brad new hardware so
>the external drivers are more recent than the kernel drivers.

Yes, I started with the kernel method as recommended in the guide.  When
that didn't work I tried the alsa-driver method.  Neither has worked for
me yet.

>>The card is detected.
>>  All the 'cat /proc/asound' stuff as described in the "Issues"
>>section of the guide produces expected results.  All my volume levels
>>are up and unmuted in 'alsamixer'.  Yet I get no sound.
>>

>I guess the card is already occupied by an soundserver like arts (KDE)
>or esound (Gnome).

Good guess.  However I only have iceWM on this box and as far as I know,
there is no sound server.

>I'd try
>
>artsshell -q terminate
>
>starting xmms, setting my card in the preferences and see if it plays an
>audio file.

I tried this and switched to the ALSA driver.  I saw three devices
listed so I just decided to try the "standard PCM Playback (hw:0,0)"
device.  Still no sound but at least I had a constant sound source.
Then I disconnected from my stereo system and just ran standard computer
speakers that I knew were working.  After trying all the various jacks
on the back of the sound card, SUCCESS!!!  I found one that was
outputting sound.  This is an old Audigy card where all the jacks look
the same.  Oh sure, there's some small graphic etched into the metal by
each jack but my old eyes can't see them.  None of the newer colored
markings on the actual jacks.

So anyway, I must have some issue with my stereo system to sort out.
But at least I know the box is producing sound.  Thank you very much for
your ideas.  It got me thinking in a new way.

Cheers,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse

http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com

On 11/3/2005 12:26 PM Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:11:41 -0800
>Drew Tomlinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>And lirc won't load.  I get these errors when inserting the module:
>>
>>tv mythtv # modprobe lirc_dev
>>FATAL: Error inserting lirc_dev
>>(/lib/modules/2.6.13-gentoo-r5/misc/lirc_dev.ko): Unknown symbol in
>>module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>>tv mythtv # modprobe lirc_i2c
>>WARNING: Error inserting lirc_dev
>>(/lib/modules/2.6.13-gentoo-r5/misc/lirc_dev.ko): Unknown symbol in
>>module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>>FATAL: Error inserting lirc_i2c
>>(/lib/modules/2.6.13-gentoo-r5/misc/lirc_i2c.ko): Unknown symbol in
>>module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>>

>well, and what does dmesg say? Do you have i2c support in the kernel?
>What kind of IR receiver are you using? Do you need certain kernel
>drivers for the TV card?

Thank you for your reply.  Here is the relevant part of dmesg:

lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_device_add
lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_destroy
lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_device_remove
lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_create
lirc_i2c: Unknown symbol lirc_unregister_plugin
lirc_i2c: Unknown symbol lirc_register_plugin

I think I have i2c support in the kernel via module.  This is my lsmod
output:

mythtv@tv ~ $ lsmod | grep i2c
i2c_nforce2             6560  0
i2c_algo_bit            9448  1 ivtv
i2c_core               20976  7
i2c_nforce2,tda9887,msp3400,saa7115,tuner,tveeprom,i2c_algo_bit

I'm using the receiver that comes with the Hauppauge PVR-250 card.  I
have this line in /etc/make.conf:

# From http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Setup_MythTV
LIRC_OPTS="--with-driver=hauppauge"

 From something I read last spring when I first setup the box, I have
/etc/modules.d/lirc with these lines:

alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c

And I have rebuilt lirc against the new kernel.  Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse

http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com

Re: Begging For Help With ALSA and Lirc

Hans-Werner Hilse-2
Hi,

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:31:55 -0800
Drew Tomlinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >>And lirc won't load.  I get these errors when inserting the module:
> >>[...]
> >
> >well, and what does dmesg say? Do you have i2c support in the kernel?
> >What kind of IR receiver are you using? Do you need certain kernel
> >drivers for the TV card?
> >
> Thank you for your reply.  Here is the relevant part of dmesg:
>
> lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_device_add
> lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_destroy
> [...]

While just checking google to make sure that I'm not gonna talk
nonsense here, I found a lot of similar trouble descriptions. It seems
that there's some incompatibility between newer kernel versions and
some lirc versions. Are you running lirc w/ ~x86 or just x86? If the
latter is the case (lirc < 0.7.2), I'd recommend

$ ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge lirc

-hwh

On 11/4/2005 8:52 AM Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:

>Hi,

>>>well, and what does dmesg say? Do you have i2c support in the kernel?
>>>What kind of IR receiver are you using? Do you need certain kernel
>>>drivers for the TV card?
>>>

>>Thank you for your reply.  Here is the relevant part of dmesg:
>>
>>lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_device_add
>>lirc_dev: Unknown symbol class_simple_destroy
>>[...]
>>

>While just checking google to make sure that I'm not gonna talk
>nonsense here, I found a lot of similar trouble descriptions. It seems
>that there's some incompatibility between newer kernel versions and
>some lirc versions. Are you running lirc w/ ~x86 or just x86? If the
>latter is the case (lirc < 0.7.2), I'd recommend
>
>$ ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge lirc

Thank you so much!  This seems to have solved the problem.  I was
running version 0.7.0-r1.  Now I have 0.7.2 installed and modprobed the
lirc_dev module without error.  I will verify it's working when I get
home tonight.

Thanks,

Drew