Re: Bouncing messages from gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org

james-3
On 1/13/20 11:32 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Some messages to you could not be delivered. If you're seeing this
> message it means things are back to normal, and it's merely for your
> information.
>
> Here is the list of the bounced messages:
> - 189231

Anyone else getting these?

James

Re: Bouncing messages from gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org

Nuno Silva
On 2020-01-13, james wrote:

>> Some messages to you could not be delivered. If you're seeing this
>> message it means things are back to normal, and it's merely for your
>> information.
>>
>> Here is the list of the bounced messages:
>> - 189231

How does one get to the message from that number? Is it possible to get
an URL to the archived copy at http://archives.gentoo.org/ using that
number?

> Anyone else getting these?

It might just be the DMARC policy thing again.

Here's a thread from last October/November about a similar message:
https://marc.info/?t=157253734300001

--
Nuno Silva

Re: Bouncing messages from gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org

Neil Bothwick
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 22:24:51 +0000, (Nuno Silva) wrote:

> >> Here is the list of the bounced messages:
> >> - 189231
>
> How does one get to the message from that number?

Look at the List-Help header in any message. Following that returns a
list of commands you can send to the listserv.

--
Neil Bothwick

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes!

On 1/13/20 5:24 PM, (Nuno Silva) wrote:

> On 2020-01-13, james wrote:

>>> Some messages to you could not be delivered. If you're seeing this
>>> message it means things are back to normal, and it's merely for your
>>> information.
>>>
>>> Here is the list of the bounced messages:
>>> - 189231
>
> How does one get to the message from that number? Is it possible to get
> an URL to the archived copy at http://archives.gentoo.org/ using that
> number?
>
>> Anyone else getting these?
>
> It might just be the DMARC policy thing again.
>
> Here's a thread from last October/November about a similar message:
> https://marc.info/?t=157253734300001

It's my list emails, where I start a new subject. Usually, I can reply
to an existing thread without issue.

I've read this and still do not know what *I* need to do to fix this, or
implement a workaround. I use thunderbird-(Installed versions:  68.4.1).

So some explicit pathways to a solution/workaround would be appreciated.
I also have a "free" limited/restricted email address::
'[hidden email]'  not sure if using this address would fix
things. The nice thing about 'thunderbird'
is I have a vast amount of saved emails, and it has worked flawlessly,
until these bounced messages started this year.

I've read through that aforementioned thread, but, being old and slow, I
did not see a fix for me. Perhaps gentoo runs a mail server, if I setup
with proxy-maintainer?

I was trying to post a new about MESOS 'A distributed systems kernel'.
Back in 2015 I have a working EAPI-5 gentoo ebuild, which I have
locally. Upgraded to
Mesos-1.9.0 via EAPI 7(or ?) was the guidance I was looking for.

So can I get a gentoo-rookie-proxy mail server access?
I'm quite certain *MY* issues are due to how Verizon
administers the mail services. Often, when I fire up Thunderbird, it
pucks for a few hours, then starts working with repetitive sends and
pulls. I guess it finally reverts back to something that works for
Thunderbird. I've been using thunderbird for a very, very long time and
have little desire to stop using thunderbird, as my main email system.
Now setting up
an easy-to-admin mail system(s) that is thunderbird friendly;  I'm all
ears. I may be getting a single static IP, to facilitate just that, from
Verizon or ?.

Any help via this list or direct is most appreciated.

James

Re: Bouncing messages from gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org

Mick-10
On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 13:39:57 GMT you wrote:

> On 1/13/20 5:24 PM, (Nuno Silva) wrote:

> > How does one get to the message from that number?
In order to receive an email of the bounced message you can send an empty
message to the mailing list server, with the number of the message which was
bounced in the address, e.g. to receive a copy of the above message number
"189231", send this to the list:

[hidden email]

HOWEVER ... your mailserver may still bounce the resent message.  I just tried
to retrieve it manually, only for it to be bounced again silently by Gmail.
If I hadn't received another notice for the same bounced message number by the
M/L address '[hidden email]', I wouldn't know Gmail
bounced it once more.  :-/

> > Is it possible to get
> > an URL to the archived copy at http://archives.gentoo.org/ using that
> > number?

Hmm ... not sure if this is possible, or I don't know how to receive bounced
messages via http.  The way I do it is by following a process of elimination.
I check an online M/L archive service and the bounced message is the one I
have not received out of the list of recent messages.

> >> Anyone else getting these?

Yep. I do, but it may well be related to me using a Gmail to receive messages
and Gmail may be rejecting the odd message for some reason.  I have not added
any recipients to a blacklist myself, so this is a Gmail action.

> > It might just be the DMARC policy thing again.
> >
> > Here's a thread from last October/November about a similar message:
> > https://marc.info/?t=157253734300001
>
> It's my list emails, where I start a new subject. Usually, I can reply
> to an existing thread without issue.

Hi James.  I did receive your email yesterday from your verizon email address
about Mesos, via the M/L.  It was titled "mesos updated ebuild advice?".  Your
messages are being delivered to this M/L and Gmail distributes them without
bouncing as far as I can surmise:

https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-user&m=157895127422780

The messages which seem to be bounced by Gmail are sent by Mr. Alan Grimes.
The most recent bounced message was yesterday, titled "WTF is up with mysqld?"

> I've read this and still do not know what *I* need to do to fix this, or
> implement a workaround. I use thunderbird-(Installed versions:  68.4.1).

Nothing you need to do.  If people do not respond to a message it could well
mean they have nothing valuable to add, rather than they haven't received it.

Mick