Re: Emerge difficulty.

os2mac

On Nov 3, 2005, at 1:42 PM, Billy Holmes wrote:

Michael A Rowley, MD wrote:

+ set +x

it's possible there is a problem on that volume, and it's stuck waiting for IO? try fscking that volume?

Ok, tried this, and it didn't seem to do anything.  The portage directory is on a NFS drive on the network, but it works from the other servers on the system, this is the only machine having a problem.    I tried doing an emerge regen, and that worked well, also emerge -pv works.  But whenever I try to get a package to emerge, I get a failure at 'set +x' on the debug screen, and it just sits there.

Re: Emerge difficulty.

Billy Holmes
Michael A Rowley, MD wrote:
> works.  But whenever I try to get a package to emerge, I get a failure
> at 'set +x' on the debug screen, and it just sits there.

-x The shell shall write to standard error a  trace  for  each  command
after  it  expands  the  command  and  before  it executes it. It is
unspecified whether the command that turns tracing off is traced.

so 'set +x' disables debugging, and 'set -x' enables it for the shell.

Perhaps the script is doing something else right after that... maybe an
strace?

However, I don't think it's something that complicated. Normally the
simplest answer is correct.

Check dmesg? have lockd and statd running (since it's an NFS mount)?

Re: Emerge difficulty.

os2mac
Hey Billy,

Well, this caused me to look into it more carefully, so I finally
umounted the portage directory, and then did an emerge sync to get a
new repository on the local machine.  Emerge now works.  remount
portage, doesn't work.

You were right, this is an NFS problem.  Not sure what type, but I at
least know what to look for, and can get my system upgraded in the
meantime.

I appreciate your input, thanks for your time.  I will try and post
if I figure out what th eproblem is.  I checked the Gentoo wiki,
there is a how-to on getting portage on an nfs share, which is what I
used to set it up initially.  I will have to look and see if I can
figure out why it stopped working, which seems bazaar.

Michael