Re: [gentoo-project] New developer: David Abbott (dabbott)

Re: [gentoo-project] New developer: David Abbott (dabbott)

David Abbott-2
Roy Bamford wrote:

> On 2009.07.16 17:34, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
>> It's my pleasure to introduce long-time contributor David Abbott
>> (dabbott) as a new staff developer. You probably know him already for
>> his famous LinuxCrazy podcasts. He is going to work in the PR
>> project, and it looks like his first assignment is the 10-year
>> anniversary.
>
> Nothing like being thrown in at the deep end.
> Welcome to the team!

Thanks Roy,

I put this [0] together and contacted drobbins and he gave his
blessings. I have been told it should be moved to the main site in /pr,
could be your first mentoring Roy as I don't have a clue, jmbvicetto
also said he would help if that is what is decided. My idea to generate
interest in the big event is to have a screenshot contest [1] to compare
the desktops of old to the current desktops. It was also suggested that
an alias email address should be set up for submissions.

On the Podcast front, I have a group of very willing :) developers that
just can't wait to be interviewed. rbu has given me some pointers on
doing a more professional screencast and I have been working on that, I
have been getting requests for a screencast on audacity and
recordmydesktop, so I will put that together. I started a page [2] to
put all the Gentoo related media in one place, it is easy to keep
updated and also add new sections. I have been doing my own xml for
feeds so I seem to be able to catch on pretty well to GuideXML, and in
the future would like to help out the documentation project, may come a
time when a developer would like someone to put their text files / notes
into GuideXML.

-david

[0] http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/pr/birthday.xml
[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/pr/shots.xml
[2] http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/pr/media.xml

rbu

On Saturday 18 July 2009, David Abbott wrote:

> Roy Bamford wrote:
> > On 2009.07.16 17:34, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
> >> It's my pleasure to introduce long-time contributor David Abbott
> >> (dabbott) as a new staff developer. You probably know him already
> >> for his famous LinuxCrazy podcasts. He is going to work in the PR
> >> project, and it looks like his first assignment is the 10-year
> >> anniversary.
> >
> > Nothing like being thrown in at the deep end.
> > Welcome to the team!
>
> Thanks Roy,
>
> I put this [0] together and contacted drobbins and he gave his
> blessings. I have been told it should be moved to the main site in
> /pr, could be your first mentoring Roy as I don't have a clue,
> jmbvicetto also said he would help if that is what is decided.
Looks good. Some thoughts:

* It would be great if the screen shots would state versions at least of
the desktop environment and a date it was taken. I know nothing about
what version each is, but there are two dates at least: XFCE
2002-04-07/08 and KDE on 2002-04-14.

* The chronology title should show that it is a chronology of early
Gentoo history. Reading it today it seems to say "nothing happened in
Gentoo since 2002"

* The "introduction" could give a little more background. The important
thing here is that Gentoo is turning 10. For the last ten years, we're
committed to bringing an cutting edge source based distro to users that
need more flexibility than binary packages can give them.
How the exact date of celebration was agreed on should be secondary in
there IMO.

> I started a page [2] to
> put all the Gentoo related media in one place, it is easy to keep
> updated and also add new sections.

Cool page!
Please do not use <th> for table content, it ends up all blue. I think
<ti> is for content?

You could also add the radiotux interviews (in German) of dertobi123:
http://archiv.radiotux.de/interviews/2009-03-14.RadioTux.Gentoo.Tobias.Scherbaum.CLT2009.mp3
http://archiv.radiotux.de/interviews/2009-03-14.RadioTux.Gentoo.Tobias.Scherbaum.CLT2009.ogg

Robert

Re: Re: [gentoo-project] New developer: David Abbott (dabbott)

David Abbott-2
Robert Buchholz wrote:

> * The chronology title should show that it is a chronology of early
> Gentoo history. Reading it today it seems to say "nothing happened in
> Gentoo since 2002"
>
> * The "introduction" could give a little more background. The important
> thing here is that Gentoo is turning 10. For the last ten years, we're
> committed to bringing an cutting edge source based distro to users that
> need more flexibility than binary packages can give them.
> How the exact date of celebration was agreed on should be secondary in
> there IMO.

Thanks Robert,

What about;

Introduction

Gentoo is turning 10. For the last ten years, Gentoo has been committed
to bringing the cutting edge source based distro to users that need more
flexibility than binary packages can give them. With a vibrant community
and over 300 developers, much has been accomplished since the beginning.

The anniversary date of 1999-10-04 was decided on by a couple of key
dates in Gentoo's history. The name Enoch was changed to Gentoo and the
domain name gentoo.org was registered. The founder of Gentoo Daniel
Robbins, gives us this chronology.

-david

rbu

Re: Re: [gentoo-project] New developer: David Abbott (dabbott)

rbu
On Saturday 18 July 2009, David Abbott wrote:

> Gentoo is turning 10. For the last ten years, Gentoo has been
> committed to bringing the cutting edge source based distro to users
> that need more flexibility than binary packages can give them. With a
> vibrant community and over 300 developers, much has been accomplished
> since the beginning.
>
> The anniversary date of 1999-10-04 was decided on by a couple of key
> dates in Gentoo's history. The name Enoch was changed to Gentoo and
> the domain name gentoo.org was registered. The founder of Gentoo
> Daniel Robbins, gives us this chronology.
Now I feel like celebrating! Great.

Robert

Re: Re: [gentoo-project] New developer: David Abbott (dabbott)

Robin H. Johnson-2
On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:13:12AM -0400, David Abbott wrote:
> [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/pr/shots.xml
1.
"# One must prove the origin of their screenshot being a Gentoo Linux
machine. For this, an open terminal with uname -a output is used."
There is NOTHING about that that proves Gentooness. How about the top of
emerge --info output instead?
2. Update to note that the submissions must be licensed per the Trustees
discussion of July 19th.

> [2] http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/pr/media.xml
I'd like to bring a copy of the content in-house, rather than it being
spread all over the internet. Esp the Dev Conference stuff (some of
which had slideshows to go with it).

What's the filesizes of the LinuxCrazy ones? (If you have the rest, that
would be nice too).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy

Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:13:12AM -0400, David Abbott wrote:
>> [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/pr/shots.xml
> 1.
> "# One must prove the origin of their screenshot being a Gentoo Linux
> machine. For this, an open terminal with uname -a output is used."
> There is NOTHING about that that proves Gentooness. How about the top of
> emerge --info output instead?
How about;
$ P_MANAGER="Portage"
$ emerge --info | grep ^${P_MANAGER}
Portage 2.1.6.13 (default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.3,
glibc-2.10.1-r0, 2.6.28-gentoo-r2 x86_64)

Because not sure of the output if another package manager is used.

> 2. Update to note that the submissions must be licensed per the Trustees
> discussion of July 19th.

Done;
http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/pr/2009-screenshot-contest.xml

>> [2] http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/pr/media.xml
> I'd like to bring a copy of the content in-house, rather than it being
> spread all over the internet. Esp the Dev Conference stuff (some of
> which had slideshows to go with it).
>
> What's the filesizes of the LinuxCrazy ones? (If you have the rest, that
> would be nice too).

ls -lh
total 363M
5.7M LC-25-dberkholz.ogg