Re: [gentoo-project] Send a collaboration propossal to the Raspberry Pi team

Re: [gentoo-project] Send a collaboration propossal to the Raspberry Pi team

Diego Augusto Molina
Great!

Well I'm not gentoo dev at all, but that's an interesting project I
see. I had worked on other kind of developments and I'm currently
working at my country's government. I may be a dreamer... but it would
be great if I can help introducing gentoo on a Raspberry Pi _and_
(even further) introduce it in my country's educational system.

Anyway, I have used other distros than gentoo (even the evil $$$) and
never looked back after I came here. If the project is going to happen
you can count on my humble collaboration :)

--
Diego Augusto Molina
[hidden email]

ES: Por favor, evite adjuntar documentos de Microsoft Office. SerĂ¡n
desestimados.
EN: Please, avoid attaching Microsoft Office documents. They shall be discarded.
LINK: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Re: [gentoo-project] Send a collaboration propossal to the Raspberry Pi team

Rich Freeman
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Diego Augusto Molina
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well I'm not gentoo dev at all, but that's an interesting project I
> see. I had worked on other kind of developments and I'm currently
> working at my country's government. I may be a dreamer... but it would
> be great if I can help introducing gentoo on a Raspberry Pi _and_
> (even further) introduce it in my country's educational system.

So, not speaking officially for the trustees, the typical way that the
Foundation gets involved in these sorts of things is for developers to
first step up and declare that they would like to support something
like this, and then figure out what they need to make it happen.
Ultimately being a volunteer-driven distro having people who want to
see something happen ends up being rate limiting.  Given the prices of
the hardware/etc I can't imagine that cost is going to be the
determining factor here.

So, if anybody who is a dev wants to step up and get involved I'd
recommend declaring your support for this as a starting measure.
Those involved can then set up a project, elect a lead, and work with
the Raspberry Pi folks as well as the Foundation to make it happen.

I'd love to see some kind of official involvement here, but either way
Gentoo being what it is I'm sure people will be fiddling around with
these as soon as they are available.  Official involvement might of
course give us more opportunity to get involved earlier.  As we've
already seen with ChromeOS, Gentoo is a great place to start if you
want to create an embedded experience that is a bit more
full-featured.

Rich