Re: mail-filter/milter-regex pull request #10004

Re: mail-filter/milter-regex pull request #10004

Ralph Seichter-2
Three weeks ago I sent the message shown below to the Gentoo Net-Mail
team. Since I did not receive a reply, I am now asking on this mailing
list: What can I do to have the pull request, which I opened six weeks
ago, taken care of?

Thanks.

To: [hidden email]
From: Ralph Seichter <[hidden email]>
Subject: mail-filter/milter-regex pull request #10004
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 12:29:23 +0200

Hello Net-Mail team,

in https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/e63b7e366f9061149ec9bd02847e7ec0
Virgil Dupras mentioned that I need to proactively pass pull request

  https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/10004

along. I'm not certain how this is best done, since I am not allow to
assign issues in GitHub, so I am sending you this email. The PR has been
reviewed and I made the one (very minor) requested change 19 days ago.

I'd appreciate you taking over processing this PR from here.

-Ralph

P.S.: Please let me know if there is a better way to pass PRs to Gentoo
developer teams.

Re: mail-filter/milter-regex pull request #10004

Michael Orlitzky
On 11/08/2018 09:44 AM, Ralph Seichter wrote:
> Three weeks ago I sent the message shown below to the Gentoo Net-Mail
> team. Since I did not receive a reply, I am now asking on this mailing
> list: What can I do to have the pull request, which I opened six weeks
> ago, taken care of?

It's an open secret that packages maintained by [hidden email]
are in reality unmaintained; or are maintained by one guy (who may or
may not be on the alias).

Looking at the milter-regex history... you're the only person who cares
about it, so I think eventually the proxy maintainers should just merge
the PR barring any technical issues.

Re: mail-filter/milter-regex pull request #10004

Ralph Seichter-2
* Michael Orlitzky:

> It's an open secret that packages maintained by
> [hidden email] are in reality unmaintained; or are
> maintained by one guy (who may or may not be on the alias).

As somebody who did not know that, and who was three weeks ago told to
contact the Net-Mail team, I find this more than a little annoying. My
time is just as valuable as everybody else's, after all. Why not flag
packages with "needs maintainer" if the listed team is basically a
mirage? When searching for Gentoo packages, I thought that if a team was
listed as maintainers it was a sign that the package was well cared for,
but from what I hear today that seems to be a misconception on my end.

> Looking at the milter-regex history... you're the only person who
> cares about it, so I think eventually the proxy maintainers should
> just merge the PR barring any technical issues.

Several developers stepped up today to help with this PR, for which I am
grateful. Thanks to Lars Wendler, Michał Górny and Craig Andrews (in
order of appearance) for picking up the ball. Milter-regex has now
officially been passed into my and the Proxy Maintainer team's care and
the pull request was merged.

Standing on the outside looking in, I see a very busy P.M. team.
Possibly too busy, as I mentioned before. Is this team bearing more load
than others? Should responsibility be redistributed? I don't know the
answers, but I can't avoid asking myself these questions.

-Ralph

On 11/08/2018 03:36 PM, Ralph Seichter wrote:

> * Michael Orlitzky:
>
>> It's an open secret that packages maintained by
>> [hidden email] are in reality unmaintained; or are
>> maintained by one guy (who may or may not be on the alias).
>
> As somebody who did not know that, and who was three weeks ago told to
> contact the Net-Mail team, I find this more than a little annoying. My
> time is just as valuable as everybody else's, after all. Why not flag
> packages with "needs maintainer" if the listed team is basically a
> mirage?

Basically, because we don't know until one of us goes through the same
process you just did. File a bug, no one responds. Ping the bug, no one
responds. Try to highlight the alias on IRC, no one responds. Eventually
announce I'M GOING TO COMMIT THIS, and no one responds. Then one day,
announce I'M REPLACING YOU AS MAINTAINER, and no one responds. This can
take a year.

Some cleanup already took place when we switched from herds to projects,
but there are still a lot of packages in limbo, is my impression. It was
a bad idea to put down a vague email alias as maintainer in the first
place; we're just paying for it now.