Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

Michael Sullivan-10
I got my new computer about a month ago.  It uses the snd-hda-intel ALSA
driver.  I fought with it for a week or two and finally got it working
with alsa-driver (it wouldn't work when I attempted to compile ALSA
support for the card into the kernel.)  Yesterday it just kind of
stopped.  I've just rebuild kernel-2.6.14-gentoo-r2 (removing SMP
support - someone told me last time that it might cause a problem) and
before I rebuilt the kernel I removed all the old modules
from /lib/modules for this kernel.  I remerged alsa-driver.  I try to
start /etc/init.d/alsamixer and I hear the little <click/pop> sound out
of my speakers that tells me that Gentoo has activated my sound card.  I
try to run alsamixer to unmute the card, but I get an error:

camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
 * Loading ALSA modules ...
 *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
[ ok ] *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
[ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
 * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
[ ok ]camille ~ # alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument

The funny thing is that when I reload gnome-panel (killall gnome-panel)
I have a volume control applet there.  It's muted, but I slide the
volume bar up.  On File->Change Device (in the volume control applet) it
claims to be using Realtek ALC880 (OSS Mixer), but I can't hear any
sound from any of my other applications (including by selecting the OSS
Mixer in xmms.)  After I turn the volume up in the volume control applet
if I go back to my terminal and try to run alsamixer again I get the
same stupid error message, and if I restart /etc/init.d/alsasound I get
this:

camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
 * WARNING:  you are stopping a boot service.
 * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
/usr/sbin/alsactl: get_control:149: Cannot read control info
'2,0,0,Front Playback Volume,0': Invalid argument
[ !! ] * Unloading ALSA ...
[ ok ] * Unloading ALSA modules ...
[ ok ] * Loading ALSA modules ...
 *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
[ ok ] *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
[ ok ] *   Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
[ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
 * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
[ ok ]

I have an /etc/asound.state backed up.  When I restore it and
restart /etc/init.d/alsasound I get this:

camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
 * WARNING:  you are stopping a boot service.
 * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
/usr/sbin/alsactl: get_control:149: Cannot read control info
'2,0,0,Front Playback Volume,0': Invalid argument
[ !! ] * Unloading ALSA ...
[ ok ] * Unloading ALSA modules ...
[ ok ] * Loading ALSA modules ...
 *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
[ ok ] *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
[ ok ] *   Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
[ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
/usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:873: failed to obtain info for control #1
(Invalid argument) * Errors while restoring defaults, ignoring
[ ok ]

Any thoughts on how to get my sound back, or why it just quit in the
first place?

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

Mark Knecht
On 11/17/05, Michael Sullivan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got my new computer about a month ago.  It uses the snd-hda-intel ALSA
> driver.

<SNIP>

> I remerged alsa-driver.

Unless your sound card is a special case you should not emerge
alsa-driver. The alsa-driver is included in the kernel.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Mark

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

Michael Sullivan-10
On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 07:24 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On 11/17/05, Michael Sullivan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I got my new computer about a month ago.  It uses the snd-hda-intel ALSA
> > driver.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > I remerged alsa-driver.
>
> Unless your sound card is a special case you should not emerge
> alsa-driver. The alsa-driver is included in the kernel.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

When I first got this computer and I couldn't get my sound to work I
emailed this list asking for help.  A lot of people on the list told me
to use ALSA compiled into my kernel with support for my card, but I
could never get it to work.  I finally got it to work by not enabling
ALSA in my kernel and emerging alsa-driver.  Now alsa-driver has stopped
working.  It seems unlikely that what wouldn't work before (namely
compiling ALSA support into my kernel) would work now...

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

Mark Knecht
On 11/17/05, Michael Sullivan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 07:24 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On 11/17/05, Michael Sullivan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I got my new computer about a month ago.  It uses the snd-hda-intel ALSA
> > > driver.
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > > I remerged alsa-driver.
> >
> > Unless your sound card is a special case you should not emerge
> > alsa-driver. The alsa-driver is included in the kernel.
> >
> > Just a thought.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
>
> When I first got this computer and I couldn't get my sound to work I
> emailed this list asking for help.  A lot of people on the list told me
> to use ALSA compiled into my kernel with support for my card, but I
> could never get it to work.  I finally got it to work by not enabling
> ALSA in my kernel and emerging alsa-driver.  Now alsa-driver has stopped
> working.  It seems unlikely that what wouldn't work before (namely
> compiling ALSA support into my kernel) would work now...
>

OK, but you are not running the same kernel today that you were
running a month ago, correct? Are you running the same version of
alsa-driver, or is it newer? Did you possibly choose testing before
and grabbed stable this time? (~x86 vs. x86)

I would assume that if you choose exactly the software you used before
you will get exactly the same results.

- Mark

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

Uwe Klosa
In reply to this post by Michael Sullivan-10
Which kernel were you using before the new kernel install. I did also have some problems when i upgraded from 2.6.13 to 2.6.14. Check
that your kernel config is correct. In my case the config hasn't been correct.

Cheers
Uwe

Michael Sullivan wrote:

> I got my new computer about a month ago.  It uses the snd-hda-intel ALSA
> driver.  I fought with it for a week or two and finally got it working
> with alsa-driver (it wouldn't work when I attempted to compile ALSA
> support for the card into the kernel.)  Yesterday it just kind of
> stopped.  I've just rebuild kernel-2.6.14-gentoo-r2 (removing SMP
> support - someone told me last time that it might cause a problem) and
> before I rebuilt the kernel I removed all the old modules
> from /lib/modules for this kernel.  I remerged alsa-driver.  I try to
> start /etc/init.d/alsamixer and I hear the little <click/pop> sound out
> of my speakers that tells me that Gentoo has activated my sound card.  I
> try to run alsamixer to unmute the card, but I get an error:
>
> camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
>  * Loading ALSA modules ...
>  *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
> [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
> [ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
>  * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
> [ ok ]camille ~ # alsamixer
>
> alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument
>
> The funny thing is that when I reload gnome-panel (killall gnome-panel)
> I have a volume control applet there.  It's muted, but I slide the
> volume bar up.  On File->Change Device (in the volume control applet) it
> claims to be using Realtek ALC880 (OSS Mixer), but I can't hear any
> sound from any of my other applications (including by selecting the OSS
> Mixer in xmms.)  After I turn the volume up in the volume control applet
> if I go back to my terminal and try to run alsamixer again I get the
> same stupid error message, and if I restart /etc/init.d/alsasound I get
> this:
>
> camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
>  * WARNING:  you are stopping a boot service.
>  * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
> /usr/sbin/alsactl: get_control:149: Cannot read control info
> '2,0,0,Front Playback Volume,0': Invalid argument
> [ !! ] * Unloading ALSA ...
> [ ok ] * Unloading ALSA modules ...
> [ ok ] * Loading ALSA modules ...
>  *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
> [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
> [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
> [ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
>  * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
> [ ok ]
>
> I have an /etc/asound.state backed up.  When I restore it and
> restart /etc/init.d/alsasound I get this:
>
> camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
>  * WARNING:  you are stopping a boot service.
>  * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
> /usr/sbin/alsactl: get_control:149: Cannot read control info
> '2,0,0,Front Playback Volume,0': Invalid argument
> [ !! ] * Unloading ALSA ...
> [ ok ] * Unloading ALSA modules ...
> [ ok ] * Loading ALSA modules ...
>  *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
> [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
> [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
> [ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
> /usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:873: failed to obtain info for control #1
> (Invalid argument) * Errors while restoring defaults, ignoring
> [ ok ]
>
> Any thoughts on how to get my sound back, or why it just quit in the
> first place?
>

uwe.klosa.vcf (253 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

Michael Sullivan-10
In reply to this post by Mark Knecht
On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 07:55 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On 11/17/05, Michael Sullivan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 07:24 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > On 11/17/05, Michael Sullivan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > > I got my new computer about a month ago.  It uses the snd-hda-intel ALSA
> > > > driver.
> > >
> > > <SNIP>
> > >
> > > > I remerged alsa-driver.
> > >
> > > Unless your sound card is a special case you should not emerge
> > > alsa-driver. The alsa-driver is included in the kernel.
> > >
> > > Just a thought.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mark
> >
> > When I first got this computer and I couldn't get my sound to work I
> > emailed this list asking for help.  A lot of people on the list told me
> > to use ALSA compiled into my kernel with support for my card, but I
> > could never get it to work.  I finally got it to work by not enabling
> > ALSA in my kernel and emerging alsa-driver.  Now alsa-driver has stopped
> > working.  It seems unlikely that what wouldn't work before (namely
> > compiling ALSA support into my kernel) would work now...
> >
>
> OK, but you are not running the same kernel today that you were
> running a month ago, correct? Are you running the same version of
> alsa-driver, or is it newer? Did you possibly choose testing before
> and grabbed stable this time? (~x86 vs. x86)
>
> I would assume that if you choose exactly the software you used before
> you will get exactly the same results.
>
> - Mark
>

It did.  Until yesterday.  I was playing an MP3 in xmms and the sound
just stopped.  I couldn't get sound out of anything, and when I tried
rebooting (and therefore restarting /etc/init.d/alsasound) it started
giving me those stupid errors...

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

Michael Sullivan-10
In reply to this post by Uwe Klosa
On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 16:55 +0100, Uwe Klosa wrote:

> Which kernel were you using before the new kernel install. I did also have some problems when i upgraded from 2.6.13 to 2.6.14. Check
> that your kernel config is correct. In my case the config hasn't been correct.
>
> Cheers
> Uwe
>
> Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > I got my new computer about a month ago.  It uses the snd-hda-intel ALSA
> > driver.  I fought with it for a week or two and finally got it working
> > with alsa-driver (it wouldn't work when I attempted to compile ALSA
> > support for the card into the kernel.)  Yesterday it just kind of
> > stopped.  I've just rebuild kernel-2.6.14-gentoo-r2 (removing SMP
> > support - someone told me last time that it might cause a problem) and
> > before I rebuilt the kernel I removed all the old modules
> > from /lib/modules for this kernel.  I remerged alsa-driver.  I try to
> > start /etc/init.d/alsamixer and I hear the little <click/pop> sound out
> > of my speakers that tells me that Gentoo has activated my sound card.  I
> > try to run alsamixer to unmute the card, but I get an error:
> >
> > camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
> >  * Loading ALSA modules ...
> >  *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
> > [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
> > [ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
> >  * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
> > [ ok ]camille ~ # alsamixer
> >
> > alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument
> >
> > The funny thing is that when I reload gnome-panel (killall gnome-panel)
> > I have a volume control applet there.  It's muted, but I slide the
> > volume bar up.  On File->Change Device (in the volume control applet) it
> > claims to be using Realtek ALC880 (OSS Mixer), but I can't hear any
> > sound from any of my other applications (including by selecting the OSS
> > Mixer in xmms.)  After I turn the volume up in the volume control applet
> > if I go back to my terminal and try to run alsamixer again I get the
> > same stupid error message, and if I restart /etc/init.d/alsasound I get
> > this:
> >
> > camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
> >  * WARNING:  you are stopping a boot service.
> >  * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
> > /usr/sbin/alsactl: get_control:149: Cannot read control info
> > '2,0,0,Front Playback Volume,0': Invalid argument
> > [ !! ] * Unloading ALSA ...
> > [ ok ] * Unloading ALSA modules ...
> > [ ok ] * Loading ALSA modules ...
> >  *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
> > [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
> > [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
> > [ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
> >  * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
> > [ ok ]
> >
> > I have an /etc/asound.state backed up.  When I restore it and
> > restart /etc/init.d/alsasound I get this:
> >
> > camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
> >  * WARNING:  you are stopping a boot service.
> >  * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
> > /usr/sbin/alsactl: get_control:149: Cannot read control info
> > '2,0,0,Front Playback Volume,0': Invalid argument
> > [ !! ] * Unloading ALSA ...
> > [ ok ] * Unloading ALSA modules ...
> > [ ok ] * Loading ALSA modules ...
> >  *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
> > [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
> > [ ok ] *   Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
> > [ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
> > /usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:873: failed to obtain info for control #1
> > (Invalid argument) * Errors while restoring defaults, ignoring
> > [ ok ]
> >
> > Any thoughts on how to get my sound back, or why it just quit in the
> > first place?
> >

I use genkernel.  To get my sound card to work the first time I had to
reboot with the LiveCD (Gentoo 2005), mount my partitions, chroot to the
new environmeny, etc, unmerge gentoo-sources and alsa-driver, completely
delete the directories under /usr/src and /lib/modules, remerge
gentoo-sources, zcat /proc/config.gz
> /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-2.6 and run genkernel --all and then
reboot into my regular environment and emerge alsa-driver then
restart /etc/init.d/alsasound.  Yesterday I did everything I did
originally to get the sound to work and it doesn't.  I'm not sure the
kernel config was really clean.  What would I have to do to get the
original kernel config for when one first installs Gentoo?

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

Abhay Kedia
In reply to this post by Michael Sullivan-10
On Thursday 17 Nov 2005 7:36 pm, Michael Sullivan wrote:
>I've just rebuild kernel-2.6.14-gentoo-r2
Can we have output of
lspci | grep Audio
lsmod | grep snd
emerge -pv alsa-driver
dmesg

Abhay

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

Michael Sullivan-10
On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 22:40 +0530, abhay wrote:
> On Thursday 17 Nov 2005 7:36 pm, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> >I've just rebuild kernel-2.6.14-gentoo-r2
> Can we have output of
> lspci | grep Audio
> lsmod | grep snd
> emerge -pv alsa-driver
> dmesg
>
> Abhay

camille ~ # lspci | grep Audio
0000:00:1b.0 Class 0403: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6
Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)


camille ~ # lsmod | grep snd
snd_pcm_oss            36768  0
snd_mixer_oss          12352  2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_oss            22880  0
snd_seq_midi_event      2976  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                31024  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          4812  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_hda_intel          11248  1
snd_hda_codec          61216  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm                49832  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              14500  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    30692  9
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc          6312  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

camille ~ # emerge -pv alsa-driver

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.10_rc3  +doc +oss 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

camille ~ # dmesg
Linux version 2.6.14-gentoo-r2 (root@camille) (gcc version 3.3.6 (Gentoo
3.3.6, ssp-3.3.6-1.0, pie-8.7.8)) #1 Thu Nov 17 07:30:09 CST 2005
BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009fc00 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 000000000009fc00 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000000e6000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 000000001f72fc00 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 000000001f72fc00 - 000000001f730000 (ACPI NVS)
 BIOS-e820: 000000001f730000 - 000000001f740000 (ACPI data)
 BIOS-e820: 000000001f740000 - 000000001f7f0000 (ACPI NVS)
 BIOS-e820: 000000001f7f0000 - 000000001f800000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000e0000000 - 00000000f0000000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000fed13000 - 00000000fed1a000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000fed1c000 - 00000000feda0000 (reserved)
0MB HIGHMEM available.
503MB LOWMEM available.
On node 0 totalpages: 128815
  DMA zone: 4096 pages, LIFO batch:1
  Normal zone: 124719 pages, LIFO batch:31
  HighMem zone: 0 pages, LIFO batch:1
DMI 2.3 present.
ACPI: RSDP (v000 ACPIAM                                ) @ 0x000f4ec0
ACPI: RSDT (v001 INTEL  D915GLVG 0x20050722 MSFT 0x00000097) @
0x1f730000
ACPI: FADT (v002 INTEL  D915GLVG 0x20050722 MSFT 0x00000097) @
0x1f730200
ACPI: MADT (v001 INTEL  D915GLVG 0x20050722 MSFT 0x00000097) @
0x1f730390
ACPI: MCFG (v001 INTEL  D915GLVG 0x20050722 MSFT 0x00000097) @
0x1f730400
ACPI: ASF! (v016 LEGEND I865PASF 0x00000001 INTL 0x02002026) @
0x1f736050
ACPI: TCPA (v001 INTEL  TBLOEMID 0x00000001 MSFT 0x00000097) @
0x1f7360f0
ACPI: WDDT (v001 INTEL  OEMWDDT  0x00000001 INTL 0x02002026) @
0x1f736124
ACPI: DSDT (v001 INTEL  D915GLVG 0x00000001 INTL 0x02002026) @
0x00000000
Allocating PCI resources starting at 20000000 (gap: 1f800000:c0800000)
Built 1 zonelists
Kernel command line: real_root=/dev/sda6
Initializing CPU#0
PID hash table entries: 2048 (order: 11, 32768 bytes)
Detected 2667.327 MHz processor.
Using tsc for high-res timesource
Speakup v-2.00 CVS: Wed Oct 26 15:13:02 EDT 2005 : initialized
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Dentry cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
Memory: 505448k/515260k available (2224k kernel code, 9260k reserved,
587k data, 144k init, 0k highmem)
Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode...
Ok.
Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 5342.01 BogoMIPS
(lpj=10684026)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
Couldn't initialize miscdevice /dev/synth.
CPU: After generic identify, caps: bfebfbff 00100000 00000000 00000000
0000451d 00000000 00000000
CPU: After vendor identify, caps: bfebfbff 00100000 00000000 00000000
0000451d 00000000 00000000
monitor/mwait feature present.
using mwait in idle threads.
CPU: Trace cache: 12K uops, L1 D cache: 16K
CPU: L2 cache: 256K
CPU: After all inits, caps: bfebfbff 00100000 00000000 00000080 0000451d
00000000 00000000
mtrr: v2.0 (20020519)
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz stepping 01
Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.
Enabling unmasked SIMD FPU exception support... done.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
ACPI: setting ELCR to 0200 (from 0e28)
checking if image is initramfs... it is
softlockup thread 0 started up.
Freeing initrd memory: 1600k freed
NET: Registered protocol family 16
EISA bus registered
ACPI: bus type pci registered
PCI: Using MMCONFIG
ACPI: Subsystem revision 20050902
ACPI: Interpreter enabled
ACPI: Using PIC for interrupt routing
ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (0000:00)
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
Boot video device is 0000:00:02.0
PCI: Ignoring BAR0-3 of IDE controller 0000:00:1f.1
PCI: Transparent bridge - 0000:00:1e.0
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0._PRT]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.P0P2._PRT]
ACPI: Power Resource [URP1] (off)
ACPI: Power Resource [FDDP] (off)
ACPI: Power Resource [LPTP] (off)
ACPI: Power Resource [URP2] (off)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.PEX1._PRT]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.PEX2._PRT]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.PEX3._PRT]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.PEX4._PRT]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 *11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 14 15) *0,
disabled.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] (IRQs 3 4 *5 6 7 9 10 11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 9 *10 11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKE] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 *11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKF] (IRQs *3 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKG] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 *11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 *9 10 11 12 14 15)
Linux Plug and Play Support v0.97 (c) Adam Belay
pnp: PnP ACPI init
pnp: PnP ACPI: found 14 devices
SCSI subsystem initialized
PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
PCI: If a device doesn't work, try "pci=routeirq".  If it helps, post a
report
pnp: 00:0c: ioport range 0x400-0x47f could not be reserved
pnp: 00:0c: ioport range 0x680-0x6ff has been reserved
pnp: 00:0c: ioport range 0x500-0x53f has been reserved
PCI: Ignore bogus resource 6 [0:0] of 0000:00:02.0
PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.0
  IO window: disabled.
  MEM window: ff800000-ff8fffff
  PREFETCH window: d4300000-d43fffff
PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.1
  IO window: disabled.
  MEM window: ff700000-ff7fffff
  PREFETCH window: d4200000-d42fffff
PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.2
  IO window: disabled.
  MEM window: ff600000-ff6fffff
  PREFETCH window: d4100000-d41fffff
PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.3
  IO window: disabled.
  MEM window: ff500000-ff5fffff
  PREFETCH window: d4000000-d40fffff
PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1e.0
  IO window: b000-bfff
  MEM window: ff900000-ff9fffff
  PREFETCH window: d0000000-d3ffffff
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] enabled at IRQ 9
PCI: setting IRQ 9 as level-triggered
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.0[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 9 (level, low)
-> IRQ 9
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.0 to 64
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] enabled at IRQ 11
PCI: setting IRQ 11 as level-triggered
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.1[B] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.1 to 64
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] enabled at IRQ 5
PCI: setting IRQ 5 as level-triggered
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.2[C] -> Link [LNKC] -> GSI 5 (level, low)
-> IRQ 5
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.2 to 64
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] enabled at IRQ 10
PCI: setting IRQ 10 as level-triggered
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.3[D] -> Link [LNKD] -> GSI 10 (level,
low) -> IRQ 10
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.3 to 64
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1e.0 to 64
Squashfs 2.2 (released 2005/07/03) (C) 2002-2005 Phillip Lougher
SGI XFS with ACLs, security attributes, realtime, large block numbers,
no debug enabled
SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
Initializing Cryptographic API
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.0[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 9 (level, low)
-> IRQ 9
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.0 to 64
assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI capability
Allocate Port Service[pcie00]
Allocate Port Service[pcie02]
Allocate Port Service[pcie03]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.1[B] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.1 to 64
assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI capability
Allocate Port Service[pcie00]
Allocate Port Service[pcie02]
Allocate Port Service[pcie03]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.2[C] -> Link [LNKC] -> GSI 5 (level, low)
-> IRQ 5
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.2 to 64
assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI capability
Allocate Port Service[pcie00]
Allocate Port Service[pcie02]
Allocate Port Service[pcie03]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.3[D] -> Link [LNKD] -> GSI 10 (level,
low) -> IRQ 10
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.3 to 64
assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI capability
Allocate Port Service[pcie00]
Allocate Port Service[pcie02]
Allocate Port Service[pcie03]
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:PS2K,PNP0f03:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler deadline registered
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 8192K size 1024 blocksize
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
ICH6: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:1f.1
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.1[A] -> Link [LNKC] -> GSI 5 (level, low)
-> IRQ 5
ICH6: chipset revision 3
ICH6: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
Probing IDE interface ide0...
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
logips2pp: Detected unknown logitech mouse model 85
input: ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1
hda: LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5236K, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Probing IDE interface ide1...
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hda: ATAPI 52X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 1536kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
CAPI Subsystem Rev 1.1.2.8
EISA: Probing bus 0 at eisa.0
EISA: Detected 0 cards.
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP route cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
TCP established hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 16384 bind 16384)
TCP reno registered
TCP bic registered
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
Using IPI Shortcut mode
ACPI wakeup devices:
PEGP P0P2 AC97 USB0 USB1 USB2 USB3 USB7 UAR1 PEX1 PEX2 PEX3 PEX4 AZAL
PWRB
ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)
Freeing unused kernel memory: 144k freed
usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] enabled at IRQ 9
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.7[A] -> Link [LNKH] -> GSI 9 (level, low)
-> IRQ 9
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.7 to 64
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: EHCI Host Controller
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: debug port 1
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: irq 9, io mem 0xffac4000
PCI: cache line size of 128 is not supported by device 0000:00:1d.7
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: USB 2.0 initialized, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec
2004
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 8 ports detected
usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.3
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.0[A] -> Link [LNKH] -> GSI 9 (level, low)
-> IRQ 9
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.0 to 64
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: irq 9, io base 0x0000c800
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.1[B] -> Link [LNKD] -> GSI 10 (level,
low) -> IRQ 10
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.1 to 64
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: irq 10, io base 0x0000cc00
hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 3-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.2[C] -> Link [LNKC] -> GSI 5 (level, low)
-> IRQ 5
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.2 to 64
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: irq 5, io base 0x0000d000
hub 4-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 4-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.3[D] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.3 to 64
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 5
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: irq 11, io base 0x0000d400
hub 5-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 5-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
ohci_hcd: 2005 April 22 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
(PCI)
sl811: driver sl811-hcd, 19 May 2005
ieee1394: Initialized config rom entry `ip1394'
sbp2: $Rev: 1306 $ Ben Collins <[hidden email]>
ieee1394: sbp2: Driver forced to serialize I/O (serialize_io=1)
ieee1394: sbp2: Try serialize_io=0 for better performance
libata version 1.12 loaded.
ata_piix version 1.04
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.2[B] -> Link [LNKD] -> GSI 10 (level,
low) -> IRQ 10
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.2 to 64
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xE800 ctl 0xE402 bmdma 0xD800 irq 10
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xE000 ctl 0xDC02 bmdma 0xD808 irq 10
ata1: dev 0 cfg 49:2f00 82:346b 83:7d01 84:4003 85:3469 86:3c01 87:4003
88:207f
ata1: dev 0 ATA, max UDMA/133, 312581808 sectors: lba48
ata1: dev 0 configured for UDMA/133
scsi0 : ata_piix
ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0xE007
ata2: disabling port
scsi1 : ata_piix
  Vendor: ATA       Model: ST3160827AS       Rev: 3.42
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 05
SCSI device sda: 312581808 512-byte hdwr sectors (160042 MB)
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
SCSI device sda: 312581808 512-byte hdwr sectors (160042 MB)
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 >
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
device-mapper: 4.4.0-ioctl (2005-01-12) initialised: [hidden email]
ReiserFS: sda6: warning: sh-2021: reiserfs_fill_super: can not find
reiserfs on sda6
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda6, internal journal
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Adding 995988k swap on /dev/sda5.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:995988k
EXT3 FS on sda6, internal journal
e100: Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver, 3.4.14-k2-NAPI
e100: Copyright(c) 1999-2005 Intel Corporation
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKE] enabled at IRQ 11
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:08.0[A] -> Link [LNKE] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
e100: eth0: e100_probe: addr 0xff910000, irq 11, MAC addr
00:13:20:2B:98:18
Real Time Clock Driver v1.12
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex
Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 [hidden email]).
NET: Registered protocol family 10
Disabled Privacy Extensions on device c03ae5a0(lo)
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64
hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC880, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64
hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC880, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64
hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC880, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64
hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC880, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link down
e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex
camille ~ #



--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

Abhay Kedia
On Friday 18 Nov 2005 12:08 am, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64
> hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC880, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
> hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
> hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
> hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
> hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x8
...and that is what I was looking for.
It is a known bug (1453) in ALSA hda-intel drivers. Your driver version is
fine as it did not work in 1.0.9 AT ALL but you need to pass some extra
options with >=1.0.10_rc2 in /etc/modules.d/alsa. This is what I am using

#------------------------------
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.10rc2 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack position_fix=2
#-------------------------------

I have the same sound device so it should work for you as well.

Abhay

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Return of My Continuing ALSA woes

Michael Sullivan-10
On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 00:53 +0530, abhay wrote:

> #------------------------------
> alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
> alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
> alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
>
> # Set this to the correct number of cards.
> # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> # --- ALSACONF version 1.0.10rc2 ---
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
> # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
>
> options snd-hda-intel model=3stack position_fix=2
> #-------------------------------

Yes that worked.  Thank you!  That'll be one less worry on my mind...

--
[hidden email] mailing list