Rsync errors

aditsu
Hi, I've been getting a lot of errors recently when syncing the distfiles, such as:
rsync: did not see server greeting
or
rsync: safe_read failed to read 1 bytes [Receiver]: Connection reset by peer (104)

It looks like rsync is now only working sporadically.
Looking at https://mirrorstats.gentoo.org/distfiles/ , I think I'm not the only one with this problem (though it could be something else for other mirrors).
Is there a problem on the server? Or do I need to change something here?
Btw, I'm syncing from masterdistfiles.gentoo.org::gentoo.

Thanks
Adrian

Re: Rsync errors

Robin H. Johnson-2
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 09:05:51PM +0000, Adrian Sandor wrote:

> Hi, I've been getting a lot of errors recently when syncing the distfiles, such as:rsync: did not see server greeting
> orrsync: safe_read failed to read 1 bytes [Receiver]: Connection reset by peer (104)
>
> It looks like rsync is now only working sporadically.Looking
> at https://mirrorstats.gentoo.org/distfiles/ , I think I'm not the
> only one with this problem (though it could be something else for
> other mirrors).Is there a problem on the server? Or do I need to
> change something here?Btw, I'm syncing
> from masterdistfiles.gentoo.org::gentoo.
>
> ThanksAdrian
Could you clarify which mirror is yours, and what IPs it would be
connecting from?

masterdistfiles.gentoo.org is actually OSL's rsync.osuosl.org, and they
fetch distfiles from the real master (which has lower disk bandwidth).

The 'gentoo.osuosl.org' entry on the bottom of the distfile mirror
status is the same server, and I don't see any problems there right now.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136

Re: Rsync errors

aditsu
On 22/08/2017 05:23, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> Could you clarify which mirror is yours, and what IPs it would be
> connecting from?
Sure, my mirror is at http://gentoo.aditsu.net[:8000] in HK.
IP address is 59.148.208.52

> masterdistfiles.gentoo.org is actually OSL's rsync.osuosl.org, and they
> fetch distfiles from the real master (which has lower disk bandwidth).
>
> The 'gentoo.osuosl.org' entry on the bottom of the distfile mirror
> status is the same server, and I don't see any problems there right now.
If it's the same server, then I would surely expect it to be always in
sync with itself. The problem is I can't seem to sync with it.
I tried to rsync again now, and it ran without errors but finished
within a few seconds. When not running in quiet mode, I can see a
message saying "Unauthorized use is prohibited" etc.

Adrian

Re: Rsync errors

aditsu
Any findings?
It seems that rsync worked once before I reported the problems (that may
be why it finished quickly when I checked later), but since then I got
another "rsync: did not see server greeting" and another "rsync:
safe_read failed to read 1 bytes [Receiver]: Connection reset by peer
(104)" (from the cron job).

Thanks
Adrian

On 22/08/2017 05:50, Adrian Sándor wrote:

> On 22/08/2017 05:23, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
>> Could you clarify which mirror is yours, and what IPs it would be
>> connecting from?
> Sure, my mirror is at http://gentoo.aditsu.net[:8000] in HK.
> IP address is 59.148.208.52
>
>> masterdistfiles.gentoo.org is actually OSL's rsync.osuosl.org, and they
>> fetch distfiles from the real master (which has lower disk bandwidth).
>>
>> The 'gentoo.osuosl.org' entry on the bottom of the distfile mirror
>> status is the same server, and I don't see any problems there right now.
> If it's the same server, then I would surely expect it to be always in
> sync with itself. The problem is I can't seem to sync with it.
> I tried to rsync again now, and it ran without errors but finished
> within a few seconds. When not running in quiet mode, I can see a
> message saying "Unauthorized use is prohibited" etc.
>
> Adrian

Re: Rsync errors

Robin H. Johnson-2
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 10:23:35AM +0000, Adrian Sandor wrote:
> Any findings?
> It seems that rsync worked once before I reported the problems (that may
> be why it finished quickly when I checked later), but since then I got
> another "rsync: did not see server greeting" and another "rsync:
> safe_read failed to read 1 bytes [Receiver]: Connection reset by peer
> (104)" (from the cron job).
I asked OSL, and they don't report seeing any issues, other than
disconnection messages for your client.

Maybe internet routing isn't being forgiving to you this week, or one of
the providers enroute is mucking with traffic.

Please do let us know if there's an pattern to the times of the issues,
or if they suddenly go away on your end.

On 25/08/2017 01:16, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> I asked OSL, and they don't report seeing any issues, other than
> disconnection messages for your client.
Ok, thanks for checking.

> Please do let us know if there's an pattern to the times of the issues,
> or if they suddenly go away on your end.
Looks like the errors stopped on 24 Aug, it's fine now.
Guess it was a multi-day temporary glitch?

Thanks
Adrian