[SoC 2009] Progress about my Gentoo SoC project: porting Portage on NetBSD/x86]

[SoC 2009] Progress about my Gentoo SoC project: porting Portage on NetBSD/x86]

Patrice Clement-2
Hello everyone,

As you may know, I'm involved of this SoC project, mentored by Davide Italiano.
It's a great project and I'm very happy to take part of it!

A quick sum-up: the goal is to bring, as the end of the SoC, a tarball
containing a complete environnement to use NetBSD 5.0/x86 with Portage.

First steps were to set up a fresh install of NetBSD 5.0 and to install Portage
dependencies using pkgsrc (Python, gmake, and other apps).

Then, I've fetched Portage tools at
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/portage/main/trunk/ using Subversion, tags 2.1.6.
I've been surprised by the fact I needed to change very few things in Portage source code.
Yes, some binaries paths, but that's all. Cheers to Portage developpers.

Currently, I'm writing ebuilds to emerge different parts of the system:
cross-compilation tools, gcc, includes headers, libc, etc. In fact, ebuilds are a
front-end to NetBSD's source Makefiles: NetBSD developpers have achieved a huge
work and it's very easy to cross-compile the system or just a part of it. At
the end of the month, I should be able to emerge the whole system, using my
ebuilds. Ebuilds internal are well documented at http://devmanual.gentoo.org,
it's always a pleasure to find well-explained documentation.

People interested in tracking down my work can connect to this link:
http://projects.boulz.org/trac/gentoo-nbsd
It's a Subversion repository where I push my code, interfaced with Trac. Each
time I can, I post some news to explain my progress. I've also opened the
NetBSD work station where I make my tests to the Internet; people interested in
"live testing" ebuilds can contact me on IRC (monsieurp @ #gentoo-soc /
#gentoo-bsd) or mail (this one). I'll try to provide them a shell where they'll
be able to connect using SSH.

As usual, comments and/or suggestions are welcome, don't hesitate to ping me,
I'm always idling around on IRC and I'll be glad to take some time to answer
you. :)

Cheers !

Patrice

Re: [SoC 2009] Progress about my Gentoo SoC project: porting Portage on NetBSD/x86]

Camille Huot-2
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Patrice Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At
> the end of the month, I should be able to emerge the whole system, using my
> ebuilds.

Good work Patrice! May the Gentoo/BSD force be with you :)
--
Camille Huot