[SoC 2009] What's new ?

Patrice Clement-2
Hello everyone,

Here are the lastest news about the project.

What have been done ?
- I coded the lastet ebuild needed to complete my "collection": NetBSD 5.0 kernel compilation & installation.
- I've made changes in my ebuilds, in order to make them use bsdmk eclass. It
  is much painless to write NetBSD ebuilds using this eclass.
- I've added new functions to my NetBSD eclass. These functions use bsdmk
  eclass sub-functions.
- Thanks to Javier comment, I've created patches for Makefiles in order to
  remove some binaries / libraries compilation & installation. Here is the list
of what I've removed and what I'll need to emerge to install what have been
removed:
http://projects.boulz.org/trac/gentoo-nbsd/attachment/wiki/WikiStart/netbsd-gentoo-ebuilds.txt

What needs to be done ?
- OpenRC integration: We will stop to use NetBSD rc services management in
  favor of OpenRC services management. I've successfuly compiled OpenRC (which
seems to work out-of-the-box on NetBSD). I've also read
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml but I would like to write a
checklist concerning NetBSD before moving forward. I'm very new to this stage
so any help would be appreciated.
- Profile creation: Currently, I've made a crappy copy/paste from "x86-fbsd"
  profile but I would like to create a new profile. Same as above, I'm new to
this stage and any help would be much appreciated.
- Ebuilds testing/patching: Portage tools rely on Perl and Python and I'll
  sureley have to patch these ebuilds. I should plan a bulk build to test which
ebuilds work/fail during compilation process.

As usual, any comments/suggestions are welcome, so please don't hesitate!

Cheers,

Patrice

Re: [SoC 2009] What's new ?

Javier Villavicencio-2
On 7/23/2009 7:50 PM, Patrice Clement wrote:
> Hello everyone,

Hello there.

> Here are the lastest news about the project.
>
> What have been done ?
> - I coded the lastet ebuild needed to complete my "collection": NetBSD 5.0 kernel compilation&  installation.
> - I've made changes in my ebuilds, in order to make them use bsdmk eclass. It
>    is much painless to write NetBSD ebuilds using this eclass.
> - I've added new functions to my NetBSD eclass. These functions use bsdmk
>    eclass sub-functions.
> - Thanks to Javier comment, I've created patches for Makefiles in order to
>    remove some binaries / libraries compilation&  installation. Here is the list
> of what I've removed and what I'll need to emerge to install what have been
> removed:
> http://projects.boulz.org/trac/gentoo-nbsd/attachment/wiki/WikiStart/netbsd-gentoo-ebuilds.txt
>
> What needs to be done ?
> - OpenRC integration: We will stop to use NetBSD rc services management in
>    favor of OpenRC services management. I've successfuly compiled OpenRC (which
> seems to work out-of-the-box on NetBSD). I've also read
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml but I would like to write a
> checklist concerning NetBSD before moving forward. I'm very new to this stage
> so any help would be appreciated.

OpenRC is developed by an ex gentoo-dev, Roy Marples, you can find him
on irc at either #gentoo-bsd or #openrc (rsmarples), he will be a good
point to start, since he mainly uses NetBSD *with* OpenRC AFAIK.

> - Profile creation: Currently, I've made a crappy copy/paste from "x86-fbsd"
>    profile but I would like to create a new profile. Same as above, I'm new to
> this stage and any help would be much appreciated.

Unless there is something specifically not supported on NetBSD (the only
example that comes to my mind is nvidia drivers) that are included in
the fbsd profile, you're good with that profile, making proper changes
to environment variables, and use/package masking that need to be NetBSD
specific.

> - Ebuilds testing/patching: Portage tools rely on Perl and Python and I'll
>    sureley have to patch these ebuilds. I should plan a bulk build to test which
> ebuilds work/fail during compilation process.

Perl and Python are *highly* portable with minimal intervention, I
honestly don't think you'll need to patch these ebuilds for NetBSD,
although I once found a bug in Perl that only showed up on FreeBSD, if
you find something similar (a bug) then that's the only case I'd think
they'll really need a patch.

> As usual, any comments/suggestions are welcome, so please don't hesitate!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Patrice

Just curious on this one, have you managed to compile the NetBSD kernel
with a gentoo toolchain?

Salu2,
Javier.

Re: [SoC 2009] What's new ?

Patrice Clement-2
Friday 24 Jul 2009 09:36:55 (-0300), Javier Villavicencio wrote :

Hi Javier,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

> OpenRC is developed by an ex gentoo-dev, Roy Marples, you can find him
> on irc at either #gentoo-bsd or #openrc (rsmarples), he will be a good
> point to start, since he mainly uses NetBSD *with* OpenRC AFAIK.

Yes, I have talked with him, and he seems open to help me. Good news!

> Unless there is something specifically not supported on NetBSD (the only
> example that comes to my mind is nvidia drivers) that are included in
> the fbsd profile, you're good with that profile, making proper changes
> to environment variables, and use/package masking that need to be NetBSD
> specific.

If you say so, I'm okay too.

> Perl and Python are *highly* portable with minimal intervention, I
> honestly don't think you'll need to patch these ebuilds for NetBSD,
> although I once found a bug in Perl that only showed up on FreeBSD, if
> you find something similar (a bug) then that's the only case I'd think
> they'll really need a patch.

Great. I'll surely need to modify some ebuilds: as example, on NetBSD,
e2fsprogs ebuild need to be compiled without thread local storage support
(--disable-tls ./configure argument). That's what I meant. :)

> Just curious on this one, have you managed to compile the NetBSD kernel
> with a gentoo toolchain?

What do you mean by "with a Gentoo toolchain" ? For example: with a toolchain I
built using my ebuilds ? Because the answer is: yes. :)

> Salu2,
> Javier.

Cheers!