Speakup Issue

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Speakup Issue

Hunter Jozwiak-2
Hi all. I've been installing a Gentoo box as a hobby for the past two
weeks, and I'm stuck at the reboot. I've stuck with open-rc and
followed the manual through, but I can't get espeakup to work. When I
emerge it, I get a warning about speakup.synth=soft not being in my
kernel. So I think, okay, I'll emerge speakup and see what happens. No
go: the Speakup is too old for the kernel. The kernel I compiled is a
genkernel, because I didn't see the kernel maker to be real
accessible, because I couldn't tell whether anything was checked or
not. So, how can I get espeakup to function properly?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Speakup Issue

William Hubbs
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52:43PM -0400, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
> Hi all. I've been installing a Gentoo box as a hobby for the past two
> weeks, and I'm stuck at the reboot. I've stuck with open-rc and
> followed the manual through, but I can't get espeakup to work. When I
> emerge it, I get a warning about speakup.synth=soft not being in my
> kernel. So I think, okay, I'll emerge speakup and see what happens. No
> go: the Speakup is too old for the kernel. The kernel I compiled is a
> genkernel, because I didn't see the kernel maker to be real
> accessible, because I couldn't tell whether anything was checked or
> not. So, how can I get espeakup to function properly?

The first thing is that you do not emerge speakup; you need to configure
it in your kernel. It is part of the staging drivers.

Try adding this line to /etc/conf.d/modules:

modules="speakup_soft"

If you have espeakup installed and you are using the default kernel
configuration, this should work.

William


signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Speakup Issue

Hunter Jozwiak-2
I wrote that line in, but it did not fix anything. The emerge error
for espeakup said something about "config_speakup" and
"config_speakup_soft" not in the kernal, is that what you meant? Sorry
for the late response.

On 4/26/14, William Hubbs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52:43PM -0400, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
>> Hi all. I've been installing a Gentoo box as a hobby for the past two
>> weeks, and I'm stuck at the reboot. I've stuck with open-rc and
>> followed the manual through, but I can't get espeakup to work. When I
>> emerge it, I get a warning about speakup.synth=soft not being in my
>> kernel. So I think, okay, I'll emerge speakup and see what happens. No
>> go: the Speakup is too old for the kernel. The kernel I compiled is a
>> genkernel, because I didn't see the kernel maker to be real
>> accessible, because I couldn't tell whether anything was checked or
>> not. So, how can I get espeakup to function properly?
>
> The first thing is that you do not emerge speakup; you need to configure
> it in your kernel. It is part of the staging drivers.
>
> Try adding this line to /etc/conf.d/modules:
>
> modules="speakup_soft"
>
> If you have espeakup installed and you are using the default kernel
> configuration, this should work.
>
> William
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Speakup Issue

likewhoa-2
Hunter, what you need to enable in your kernel is the following options.

1. CONFIG_SPEAKUP
2. CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT or whatever your synthesizer is you should have many options in there.

After this is done emerge espeakup should work.


On Sat, 3 May 2014 12:54:35 -0400
Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wrote that line in, but it did not fix anything. The emerge error
> for espeakup said something about "config_speakup" and
> "config_speakup_soft" not in the kernal, is that what you meant? Sorry
> for the late response.
>
> On 4/26/14, William Hubbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52:43PM -0400, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
> >> Hi all. I've been installing a Gentoo box as a hobby for the past two
> >> weeks, and I'm stuck at the reboot. I've stuck with open-rc and
> >> followed the manual through, but I can't get espeakup to work. When I
> >> emerge it, I get a warning about speakup.synth=soft not being in my
> >> kernel. So I think, okay, I'll emerge speakup and see what happens. No
> >> go: the Speakup is too old for the kernel. The kernel I compiled is a
> >> genkernel, because I didn't see the kernel maker to be real
> >> accessible, because I couldn't tell whether anything was checked or
> >> not. So, how can I get espeakup to function properly?
> >
> > The first thing is that you do not emerge speakup; you need to configure
> > it in your kernel. It is part of the staging drivers.
> >
> > Try adding this line to /etc/conf.d/modules:
> >
> > modules="speakup_soft"
> >
> > If you have espeakup installed and you are using the default kernel
> > configuration, this should work.
> >
> > William
> >
> >
>


--
likewhoa <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Speakup Issue

Hunter Jozwiak-2
When you say "enable in the kernel", do you refer to recompiling the
genkernel, with the features turned on, or editing /etc/conf.d/modules? The
former I have no clue how to do, the latter is a bit easier. I guess it's
the former, since I edited the modules file with the needed lines, and it
didn't work.

-----Original Message-----
From: likewhoa [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2014 2:18 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Speakup Issue

Hunter, what you need to enable in your kernel is the following options.

1. CONFIG_SPEAKUP
2. CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT or whatever your synthesizer is you should have
many options in there.

After this is done emerge espeakup should work.


On Sat, 3 May 2014 12:54:35 -0400
Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wrote that line in, but it did not fix anything. The emerge error
> for espeakup said something about "config_speakup" and
> "config_speakup_soft" not in the kernal, is that what you meant? Sorry
> for the late response.
>
> On 4/26/14, William Hubbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52:43PM -0400, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
> >> Hi all. I've been installing a Gentoo box as a hobby for the past
> >> two weeks, and I'm stuck at the reboot. I've stuck with open-rc and
> >> followed the manual through, but I can't get espeakup to work. When
> >> I emerge it, I get a warning about speakup.synth=soft not being in
> >> my kernel. So I think, okay, I'll emerge speakup and see what
> >> happens. No
> >> go: the Speakup is too old for the kernel. The kernel I compiled is
> >> a genkernel, because I didn't see the kernel maker to be real
> >> accessible, because I couldn't tell whether anything was checked or
> >> not. So, how can I get espeakup to function properly?
> >
> > The first thing is that you do not emerge speakup; you need to
> > configure it in your kernel. It is part of the staging drivers.
> >
> > Try adding this line to /etc/conf.d/modules:
> >
> > modules="speakup_soft"
> >
> > If you have espeakup installed and you are using the default kernel
> > configuration, this should work.
> >
> > William
> >
> >
>


--
likewhoa <[hidden email]>



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Speakup Issue

likewhoa-2
When you run genkernel include the '--menuconfig' option then look for the kernel options I mentioned in my previous email. That should be it.

On Thu, 8 May 2014 07:33:47 -0400
"Hunter Jozwiak" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When you say "enable in the kernel", do you refer to recompiling the
> genkernel, with the features turned on, or editing /etc/conf.d/modules? The
> former I have no clue how to do, the latter is a bit easier. I guess it's
> the former, since I edited the modules file with the needed lines, and it
> didn't work.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: likewhoa [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2014 2:18 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Speakup Issue
>
> Hunter, what you need to enable in your kernel is the following options.
>
> 1. CONFIG_SPEAKUP
> 2. CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT or whatever your synthesizer is you should have
> many options in there.
>
> After this is done emerge espeakup should work.
>
>
> On Sat, 3 May 2014 12:54:35 -0400
> Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I wrote that line in, but it did not fix anything. The emerge error
> > for espeakup said something about "config_speakup" and
> > "config_speakup_soft" not in the kernal, is that what you meant? Sorry
> > for the late response.
> >
> > On 4/26/14, William Hubbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52:43PM -0400, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
> > >> Hi all. I've been installing a Gentoo box as a hobby for the past
> > >> two weeks, and I'm stuck at the reboot. I've stuck with open-rc and
> > >> followed the manual through, but I can't get espeakup to work. When
> > >> I emerge it, I get a warning about speakup.synth=soft not being in
> > >> my kernel. So I think, okay, I'll emerge speakup and see what
> > >> happens. No
> > >> go: the Speakup is too old for the kernel. The kernel I compiled is
> > >> a genkernel, because I didn't see the kernel maker to be real
> > >> accessible, because I couldn't tell whether anything was checked or
> > >> not. So, how can I get espeakup to function properly?
> > >
> > > The first thing is that you do not emerge speakup; you need to
> > > configure it in your kernel. It is part of the staging drivers.
> > >
> > > Try adding this line to /etc/conf.d/modules:
> > >
> > > modules="speakup_soft"
> > >
> > > If you have espeakup installed and you are using the default kernel
> > > configuration, this should work.
> > >
> > > William
> > >
> > >
> >
>
>
> --
> likewhoa <[hidden email]>
>
>
>


--
likewhoa <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Speakup Issue

Hunter Jozwiak-2
I can't find where the modules are. I ran the --menuconfig, but, I
don't see the place to select the modules.

On 5/8/14, likewhoa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When you run genkernel include the '--menuconfig' option then look for the
> kernel options I mentioned in my previous email. That should be it.
>
> On Thu, 8 May 2014 07:33:47 -0400
> "Hunter Jozwiak" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> When you say "enable in the kernel", do you refer to recompiling the
>> genkernel, with the features turned on, or editing /etc/conf.d/modules?
>> The
>> former I have no clue how to do, the latter is a bit easier. I guess it's
>> the former, since I edited the modules file with the needed lines, and it
>> didn't work.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: likewhoa [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2014 2:18 PM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Speakup Issue
>>
>> Hunter, what you need to enable in your kernel is the following options.
>>
>> 1. CONFIG_SPEAKUP
>> 2. CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT or whatever your synthesizer is you should
>> have
>> many options in there.
>>
>> After this is done emerge espeakup should work.
>>
>>
>> On Sat, 3 May 2014 12:54:35 -0400
>> Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > I wrote that line in, but it did not fix anything. The emerge error
>> > for espeakup said something about "config_speakup" and
>> > "config_speakup_soft" not in the kernal, is that what you meant? Sorry
>> > for the late response.
>> >
>> > On 4/26/14, William Hubbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > > On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52:43PM -0400, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
>> > >> Hi all. I've been installing a Gentoo box as a hobby for the past
>> > >> two weeks, and I'm stuck at the reboot. I've stuck with open-rc and
>> > >> followed the manual through, but I can't get espeakup to work. When
>> > >> I emerge it, I get a warning about speakup.synth=soft not being in
>> > >> my kernel. So I think, okay, I'll emerge speakup and see what
>> > >> happens. No
>> > >> go: the Speakup is too old for the kernel. The kernel I compiled is
>> > >> a genkernel, because I didn't see the kernel maker to be real
>> > >> accessible, because I couldn't tell whether anything was checked or
>> > >> not. So, how can I get espeakup to function properly?
>> > >
>> > > The first thing is that you do not emerge speakup; you need to
>> > > configure it in your kernel. It is part of the staging drivers.
>> > >
>> > > Try adding this line to /etc/conf.d/modules:
>> > >
>> > > modules="speakup_soft"
>> > >
>> > > If you have espeakup installed and you are using the default kernel
>> > > configuration, this should work.
>> > >
>> > > William
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>>
>>
>> --
>> likewhoa <[hidden email]>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> likewhoa <[hidden email]>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Speakup Issue

likewhoa-2
They are in Device Drivers > Staging drivers > Speakup console speech

On Fri, 9 May 2014 21:21:51 -0400
Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't find where the modules are. I ran the --menuconfig, but, I
> don't see the place to select the modules.
>
> On 5/8/14, likewhoa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > When you run genkernel include the '--menuconfig' option then look for the
> > kernel options I mentioned in my previous email. That should be it.
> >
> > On Thu, 8 May 2014 07:33:47 -0400
> > "Hunter Jozwiak" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> When you say "enable in the kernel", do you refer to recompiling the
> >> genkernel, with the features turned on, or editing /etc/conf.d/modules?
> >> The
> >> former I have no clue how to do, the latter is a bit easier. I guess it's
> >> the former, since I edited the modules file with the needed lines, and it
> >> didn't work.
> >>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: likewhoa [mailto:[hidden email]]
> >> Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2014 2:18 PM
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Speakup Issue
> >>
> >> Hunter, what you need to enable in your kernel is the following options.
> >>
> >> 1. CONFIG_SPEAKUP
> >> 2. CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT or whatever your synthesizer is you should
> >> have
> >> many options in there.
> >>
> >> After this is done emerge espeakup should work.
> >>
> >>
> >> On Sat, 3 May 2014 12:54:35 -0400
> >> Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> > I wrote that line in, but it did not fix anything. The emerge error
> >> > for espeakup said something about "config_speakup" and
> >> > "config_speakup_soft" not in the kernal, is that what you meant? Sorry
> >> > for the late response.
> >> >
> >> > On 4/26/14, William Hubbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> > > On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52:43PM -0400, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
> >> > >> Hi all. I've been installing a Gentoo box as a hobby for the past
> >> > >> two weeks, and I'm stuck at the reboot. I've stuck with open-rc and
> >> > >> followed the manual through, but I can't get espeakup to work. When
> >> > >> I emerge it, I get a warning about speakup.synth=soft not being in
> >> > >> my kernel. So I think, okay, I'll emerge speakup and see what
> >> > >> happens. No
> >> > >> go: the Speakup is too old for the kernel. The kernel I compiled is
> >> > >> a genkernel, because I didn't see the kernel maker to be real
> >> > >> accessible, because I couldn't tell whether anything was checked or
> >> > >> not. So, how can I get espeakup to function properly?
> >> > >
> >> > > The first thing is that you do not emerge speakup; you need to
> >> > > configure it in your kernel. It is part of the staging drivers.
> >> > >
> >> > > Try adding this line to /etc/conf.d/modules:
> >> > >
> >> > > modules="speakup_soft"
> >> > >
> >> > > If you have espeakup installed and you are using the default kernel
> >> > > configuration, this should work.
> >> > >
> >> > > William
> >> > >
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> likewhoa <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > --
> > likewhoa <[hidden email]>
> >
> >
>


--
likewhoa <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Speakup Issue

Hunter Jozwiak-2
I've gotten the needed modules enabled, and now I can install it as
per normal without that e6ror. I've added it to the default runlevel,
emerged Espeak with pulseaudio and portaudio, set the default voice,
rebooted after unmounting ... and, no speech. I can get espeak to
talk, by typing espeak test, but espeakup isn't talking. Is there
another step to t3e solution?

On 5/10/14, likewhoa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> They are in Device Drivers > Staging drivers > Speakup console speech
>
> On Fri, 9 May 2014 21:21:51 -0400
> Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I can't find where the modules are. I ran the --menuconfig, but, I
>> don't see the place to select the modules.
>>
>> On 5/8/14, likewhoa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > When you run genkernel include the '--menuconfig' option then look for
>> > the
>> > kernel options I mentioned in my previous email. That should be it.
>> >
>> > On Thu, 8 May 2014 07:33:47 -0400
>> > "Hunter Jozwiak" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> >> When you say "enable in the kernel", do you refer to recompiling the
>> >> genkernel, with the features turned on, or editing
>> >> /etc/conf.d/modules?
>> >> The
>> >> former I have no clue how to do, the latter is a bit easier. I guess
>> >> it's
>> >> the former, since I edited the modules file with the needed lines, and
>> >> it
>> >> didn't work.
>> >>
>> >> -----Original Message-----
>> >> From: likewhoa [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> >> Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2014 2:18 PM
>> >> To: [hidden email]
>> >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Speakup Issue
>> >>
>> >> Hunter, what you need to enable in your kernel is the following
>> >> options.
>> >>
>> >> 1. CONFIG_SPEAKUP
>> >> 2. CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT or whatever your synthesizer is you
>> >> should
>> >> have
>> >> many options in there.
>> >>
>> >> After this is done emerge espeakup should work.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> On Sat, 3 May 2014 12:54:35 -0400
>> >> Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> > I wrote that line in, but it did not fix anything. The emerge error
>> >> > for espeakup said something about "config_speakup" and
>> >> > "config_speakup_soft" not in the kernal, is that what you meant?
>> >> > Sorry
>> >> > for the late response.
>> >> >
>> >> > On 4/26/14, William Hubbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >> > > On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52:43PM -0400, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
>> >> > >> Hi all. I've been installing a Gentoo box as a hobby for the past
>> >> > >> two weeks, and I'm stuck at the reboot. I've stuck with open-rc
>> >> > >> and
>> >> > >> followed the manual through, but I can't get espeakup to work.
>> >> > >> When
>> >> > >> I emerge it, I get a warning about speakup.synth=soft not being
>> >> > >> in
>> >> > >> my kernel. So I think, okay, I'll emerge speakup and see what
>> >> > >> happens. No
>> >> > >> go: the Speakup is too old for the kernel. The kernel I compiled
>> >> > >> is
>> >> > >> a genkernel, because I didn't see the kernel maker to be real
>> >> > >> accessible, because I couldn't tell whether anything was checked
>> >> > >> or
>> >> > >> not. So, how can I get espeakup to function properly?
>> >> > >
>> >> > > The first thing is that you do not emerge speakup; you need to
>> >> > > configure it in your kernel. It is part of the staging drivers.
>> >> > >
>> >> > > Try adding this line to /etc/conf.d/modules:
>> >> > >
>> >> > > modules="speakup_soft"
>> >> > >
>> >> > > If you have espeakup installed and you are using the default
>> >> > > kernel
>> >> > > configuration, this should work.
>> >> > >
>> >> > > William
>> >> > >
>> >> > >
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> likewhoa <[hidden email]>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > likewhoa <[hidden email]>
>> >
>> >
>>
>
>
> --
> likewhoa <[hidden email]>
>
>

Loading...