Strange Xmonad problem

Melleus
After last update my Xmonad starts from 8-th workspace instead of
1-st. I did not change anything but updated Xmonad and GHC, config
remained the same (file attached). What have I done wrong other than I'd
better not updated my system?

Thank you ahead of time.

import XMonad
-- import XMonad.Hooks.EwmhDesktops
import XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog
import XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks
-- import XMonad.Hooks.ManageHelpers
-- import XMonad.Layout.NoBorders
import XMonad.Util.Run(spawnPipe)
import XMonad.Util.EZConfig(additionalKeys)
import System.IO

myManageHook = composeAll
 [ title =? "GnuCash" --> doFloat
--    , isFullscreen --> doFullFloat
  ]

main = do
        xmproc <- spawnPipe "xmobar"
        xmonad $ defaultConfig
          {
                modMask = mod4Mask,
                terminal = "urxvt",
                manageHook = manageDocks <+> myManageHook <+> manageHook defaultConfig,
                layoutHook = avoidStruts $ layoutHook defaultConfig,
                logHook = dynamicLogWithPP xmobarPP
                        { ppOutput = hPutStrLn xmproc,
                          ppTitle = xmobarColor "green" "" . shorten 50
                        },
-- handleEventHook - makes space for xmobar, docksEventHook must be last
                handleEventHook = mconcat
--                          [ fullscreenEventHook
                          [ docksEventHook
                          , handleEventHook defaultConfig ]
                ,startupHook = do
                        spawn "source ~/.xmonad/autostart"
                }
                  `additionalKeys`
                [ ((mod4Mask, xK_d), spawn "dmenu_run -b -nb black"),
                  ((0, xK_Print), spawn "~/.xmonad/screen2file.sh"),
                  ((mod4Mask, xK_b), sendMessage ToggleStruts) ]

Re: Strange Xmonad problem

Simon Thelen-2
On 17-09-27 at 19:22, Melleus wrote:
> After last update my Xmonad starts from 8-th workspace instead of
> 1-st. I did not change anything but updated Xmonad and GHC, config
> remained the same (file attached). What have I done wrong other than I'd
> better not updated my system?
>
> Thank you ahead of time.

https://github.com/xmonad/xmonad/blob/master/CHANGES.md#014-not-yet-released

Probably the Bug Fix listed under 0.14 (Not Yet Released)
try deleting ~/.xmonad/xmonad.state before starting xmonad

Simon Thelen

Re: Strange Xmonad problem

R0b0t1
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Simon Thelen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17-09-27 at 19:22, Melleus wrote:
>> After last update my Xmonad starts from 8-th workspace instead of
>> 1-st. I did not change anything but updated Xmonad and GHC, config
>> remained the same (file attached). What have I done wrong other than I'd
>> better not updated my system?
>>
>> Thank you ahead of time.
>>
> https://github.com/xmonad/xmonad/blob/master/CHANGES.md#014-not-yet-released
>
> Probably the Bug Fix listed under 0.14 (Not Yet Released)
> try deleting ~/.xmonad/xmonad.state before starting xmonad

With a lot of these programs (tiling window managers and their
supporting utilities) it's useful to track the repository directly.
Sadly it looks like Xmonad doesn't have a **9999 version.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1

Re: Strange Xmonad problem

Melleus
Simon Thelen <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 17-09-27 at 19:22, Melleus wrote:
>> After last update my Xmonad starts from 8-th workspace instead of
>> 1-st. I did not change anything but updated Xmonad and GHC, config
>> remained the same (file attached). What have I done wrong other than I'd
>> better not updated my system?
>>
>> Thank you ahead of time.
>>
> https://github.com/xmonad/xmonad/blob/master/CHANGES.md#014-not-yet-released
>
> Probably the Bug Fix listed under 0.14 (Not Yet Released)
> try deleting ~/.xmonad/xmonad.state before starting xmonad

Yes, that was it. Now it starts like it should. Thank you a lot.

Might I ask another Xmonad question in this thread? I would like to have
the Firefox goes fullscreen on F11, but the stanza:

isFullscreen --> doFullFloat

in my config does not work, Xmobar remains visible. But some applications (like
Zathura) can go fullscreen and hide Xmobar even without that stanza. Did
I misconfigured something?

Thanks again!

Re: Strange Xmonad problem

Melleus
R0b0t1 <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Simon Thelen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 17-09-27 at 19:22, Melleus wrote:
>>> After last update my Xmonad starts from 8-th workspace instead of
>>> 1-st. I did not change anything but updated Xmonad and GHC, config
>>> remained the same (file attached). What have I done wrong other than I'd
>>> better not updated my system?
>>>
>>> Thank you ahead of time.
>>>
>> https://github.com/xmonad/xmonad/blob/master/CHANGES.md#014-not-yet-released
>>
>> Probably the Bug Fix listed under 0.14 (Not Yet Released)
>> try deleting ~/.xmonad/xmonad.state before starting xmonad
>>

> With a lot of these programs (tiling window managers and their
> supporting utilities) it's useful to track the repository directly.
> Sadly it looks like Xmonad doesn't have a **9999 version.
>
> Cheers,
>      R0b0t1

I come from Debian's land. They have the stable branch that I had been
using. And I used to get the updates only when they are matured and can
do no harm to the system. Gentoo in this aspect is more like the testing
branch of Debian even though I set up amd64 (stable) keyword in my
portage configuration. And I doubt that following upstream repos would
add stability to my system. At least until I make myself expert with
Gentoo.

Cheers,
Melleus

Re: Strange Xmonad problem

Simon Thelen-2
On 17-09-28 at 20:30, Melleus wrote:
[..]
> Might I ask another Xmonad question in this thread? I would like to have
> the Firefox goes fullscreen on F11, but the stanza:
>
> isFullscreen --> doFullFloat
>
> in my config does not work, Xmobar remains visible. But some applications (like
> Zathura) can go fullscreen and hide Xmobar even without that stanza. Did
> I misconfigured something?
You probably want fullscreenEventHook from [1] as shown in the Usage.

[1] https://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib-0.13/docs/XMonad-Hooks-EwmhDesktops.html

Simon Thelen

Re: Strange Xmonad problem

Melleus
Simon Thelen <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 17-09-28 at 20:30, Melleus wrote:
> [..]
>> Might I ask another Xmonad question in this thread? I would like to have
>> the Firefox goes fullscreen on F11, but the stanza:
>>
>> isFullscreen --> doFullFloat
>>
>> in my config does not work, Xmobar remains visible. But some applications (like
>> Zathura) can go fullscreen and hide Xmobar even without that stanza. Did
>> I misconfigured something?
> You probably want fullscreenEventHook from [1] as shown in the Usage.
>
> [1] https://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib-0.13/docs/XMonad-Hooks-EwmhDesktops.html
I have tried. But it doesn't work for me. I might be missing something though.
My config is attached:

import XMonad
import XMonad.Hooks.EwmhDesktops
import XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog
import XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks
import XMonad.Hooks.ManageHelpers
-- import XMonad.Layout.NoBorders
import XMonad.Util.Run(spawnPipe)
import XMonad.Util.EZConfig(additionalKeys)
import System.IO

myManageHook = composeAll
 [ title =? "GnuCash" --> doFloat
   , isFullscreen --> doFullFloat
  ]

main = do
        xmproc <- spawnPipe "xmobar"
        xmonad $ ewmh defaultConfig
          {
                modMask = mod4Mask,
                terminal = "urxvt",
                manageHook = manageDocks <+> myManageHook <+> manageHook defaultConfig,
                layoutHook = avoidStruts $ layoutHook defaultConfig,
                logHook = dynamicLogWithPP xmobarPP
                        { ppOutput = hPutStrLn xmproc,
                          ppTitle = xmobarColor "green" "" . shorten 50
                        },
-- handleEventHook - makes space for xmobar, docksEventHook must be last
                handleEventHook = mconcat
                          [ docksEventHook
                          , handleEventHook defaultConfig ] <+> fullscreenEventHook

On 17-09-29 at 12:13, Melleus wrote:

> Simon Thelen <[hidden email]> writes:
> > On 17-09-28 at 20:30, Melleus wrote:
> > [..]
> >> Might I ask another Xmonad question in this thread? I would like to have
> >> the Firefox goes fullscreen on F11, but the stanza:
> >>
> >> isFullscreen --> doFullFloat
> >>
> >> in my config does not work, Xmobar remains visible. But some applications (like
> >> Zathura) can go fullscreen and hide Xmobar even without that stanza. Did
> >> I misconfigured something?
> > You probably want fullscreenEventHook from [1] as shown in the Usage.
> >
> > [1] https://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib-0.13/docs/XMonad-Hooks-EwmhDesktops.html
> I have tried. But it doesn't work for me. I might be missing something though.
> My config is attached:
I'm not sure why your config doesn't work, but this one seems to work
for me [1] (not my config, just found it with a quick google).
If that one works for you, I'd start with that and then edit it until
you have your settings back.

[1]: https://pastebin.com/raw/Ly4Fb90B

Simon Thelen

Re: Strange Xmonad problem

Melleus
Simon Thelen <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 17-09-29 at 12:13, Melleus wrote:
>> Simon Thelen <[hidden email]> writes:
>> > On 17-09-28 at 20:30, Melleus wrote:
>> > [..]

>> > You probably want fullscreenEventHook from [1] as shown in the Usage.
>> >
>> > [1] https://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib-0.13/docs/XMonad-Hooks-EwmhDesktops.html
>> I have tried. But it doesn't work for me. I might be missing something though.
>> My config is attached:
> I'm not sure why your config doesn't work, but this one seems to work
> for me [1] (not my config, just found it with a quick google).
> If that one works for you, I'd start with that and then edit it until
> you have your settings back.
>
> [1]: https://pastebin.com/raw/Ly4Fb90B

This config doesn't work either. It looks like something is seriously
broken in this version of Xmonad (0.13). It's a pity that it has a stable
keyword. Will wait for updates. Sorry for the noise. And thank you for attention.

Re: Strange Xmonad problem

Simon Thelen-2
On 17-09-29 at 22:09, Melleus wrote:

> Simon Thelen <[hidden email]> writes:

> >> I have tried. But it doesn't work for me. I might be missing something though.
> >> My config is attached:
> > I'm not sure why your config doesn't work, but this one seems to work
> > for me [1] (not my config, just found it with a quick google).
> > If that one works for you, I'd start with that and then edit it until
> > you have your settings back.
> >
> > [1]: https://pastebin.com/raw/Ly4Fb90B
> This config doesn't work either. It looks like something is seriously
> broken in this version of Xmonad (0.13). It's a pity that it has a stable
> keyword. Will wait for updates. Sorry for the noise. And thank you for attention.
I'm running 0.13 (and have been since February) so I doubt it's that.
Though it could be related to the earlier issue with the state file. I
didn't delete that in my tests.

Simon Thelen

Re: Strange Xmonad problem

Melleus
Simon Thelen <[hidden email]> writes:

>> This config doesn't work either. It looks like something is seriously
>> broken in this version of Xmonad (0.13). It's a pity that it has a stable
>> keyword. Will wait for updates. Sorry for the noise. And thank you for attention.
> I'm running 0.13 (and have been since February) so I doubt it's that.
> Though it could be related to the earlier issue with the state file. I
> didn't delete that in my tests.

It (v0.13) does have bugs: a bug with that xmonad.state file that keeps
appearing, a bug with xmobar that one have to put docksEventHook in
config to make it respect the size of other windows again, configs from
previous versions that do not work like they should. I understand that
those are minor bugs for experienced users, but the testing keyword for
this version would benefit and save from trouble such new converts to
Gentoo as I am.

Re: Strange Xmonad problem

R0b0t1
On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Melleus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Simon Thelen <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>> This config doesn't work either. It looks like something is seriously
>>> broken in this version of Xmonad (0.13). It's a pity that it has a stable
>>> keyword. Will wait for updates. Sorry for the noise. And thank you for attention.
>> I'm running 0.13 (and have been since February) so I doubt it's that.
>> Though it could be related to the earlier issue with the state file. I
>> didn't delete that in my tests.
>
> It (v0.13) does have bugs: a bug with that xmonad.state file that keeps
> appearing, a bug with xmobar that one have to put docksEventHook in
> config to make it respect the size of other windows again, configs from
> previous versions that do not work like they should. I understand that
> those are minor bugs for experienced users, but the testing keyword for
> this version would benefit and save from trouble such new converts to
> Gentoo as I am.

This is the reason I suggest following the repository (via secure
checkout, which some ebuilds do not do). There is a strange place in
between "Debian stable" and "live checkout" that tends to have more
harder to fix bugs than the "live checkout" version does. The problem
with "Debian stable" is that it typically is lacking features an
informed user would want.

If you end up fixing the issue in the live version then you can more
easily submit a pull request. If not, you can still revert to an old
release.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1