Strange problem with partition reiserfs

Rafael Barreto
Hi,

I'm with a very strange problem with a partition reiserfs. When I installed gentoo I created a partition to save my personal docs and I formatted it with reiserfs filesystem. Today, I was wrinting a little program in python using Kate and, accidentaly, I overwrite a file on that partition. The strange was that Kate don't ask me for a confirmation about that. Kate just overwrote the file. Well, I imagined that comportament was not right and I tried to ovewrite an archive in the partition mounted under /home and Kate, now, ask me for a confirmation. Strange... any idea?

Other thing... I would like to mount that partition such that all files created have the same group and permission. I thought that I could use the "umask" option, but reiserfs don't have that option, so I don't know how could I do that... Help please...

Sorry by my english!

Thanks!

Re: Strange problem with partition reiserfs

Willie Wong
On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 04:29:45AM -0200, Rafael Barreto wrote:
> Other thing... I would like to mount that partition such that all files
> created have the same group and permission. I thought that I could use the
> "umask" option, but reiserfs don't have that option, so I don't know how
> could I do that... Help please...

I don't think umask would do what you want anyway. AFAIK, umask is
used to set the mounting permissions for filesystems that do not
support permissions/users, such as the FAT family, HPFS, NTFS, UDF...

ext2/3 allows the option of grpid which can be used to set the default
group of newly created file, but I don't think such is available with
reiserfs.

A (poor?!) work around is to set your umask and group id via the
'umask' and 'newgrp' or 'sg' commands in your shell profile...

HTH

Rules are meant to be broken.
Proof:
  If there are rules, there are something that must be regulated
  if the rule is not broken ever, there's no need to externally impose a
    regulation to control that something
  Therefore there will be no need for rules.

  So, the existence of a rule lies in its breakability, as nonbreakable rules
    are illogical and should not exist.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 2 days,  8:23

Re: Strange problem with partition reiserfs

bn-5
>  Today, I was wrinting a little
> program in python using Kate and, accidentaly, I overwrite a file on
> that partition. The strange was that Kate don't ask me for a
> confirmation about that. Kate just overwrote the file. Well, I imagined
> that comportament was not right and I tried to ovewrite an archive in
> the partition mounted under /home and Kate, now, ask me for a
> confirmation. Strange... any idea?

Have you tried again to see if it's reproducible? i.e. if every time you
overwrite on that partition kate doesn't ask confirm and every time you
overwrite on /home it asks?

Anyway it seems more a Kate bug than a filesystem thing...

m.

Re: Strange problem with partition reiserfs

Glenn Enright
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:29, Rafael Barreto wrote:
> I'm with a very strange problem with a partition reiserfs. When I installed
> gentoo I created a partition to save my personal docs and I formatted it
> with reiserfs filesystem. Today, I was wrinting a little program in python
> using Kate and, accidentaly, I overwrite a file on that partition. The
> strange was that Kate don't ask me for a confirmation about that. Kate just
> overwrote the file. Well, I imagined that comportament was not right and I
> tried to ovewrite an archive in the partition mounted under /home and Kate,
> now, ask me for a confirmation. Strange... any idea?

Are you sure you were working as the same user? not as root or something?
Could have been different user settings.
--

Some men are so interested in their wives' continued happiness that they
hire detectives to find out the reason for it.

Re: Strange problem with partition reiserfs

Rafael Barreto
Yes, I'm sure. As a same user I repeated that many times on different partitions and just in that Kate doesn't ask me for a confirmation. Well... With gedit I don't have this problem. gedit ask me for a confirmation. But I would like to use Kate. I suppose that I have to agree about a but in Kate.

About the other question. Any answear?

Thanks!

2005/11/5, Glenn Enright <[hidden email]>:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:29, Rafael Barreto wrote:
> I'm with a very strange problem with a partition reiserfs. When I installed
> gentoo I created a partition to save my personal docs and I formatted it
> with reiserfs filesystem. Today, I was wrinting a little program in python
> using Kate and, accidentaly, I overwrite a file on that partition. The
> strange was that Kate don't ask me for a confirmation about that. Kate just
> overwrote the file. Well, I imagined that comportament was not right and I
> tried to ovewrite an archive in the partition mounted under /home and Kate,
> now, ask me for a confirmation. Strange... any idea?

Are you sure you were working as the same user? not as root or something?
Could have been different user settings.
--

Some men are so interested in their wives' continued happiness that they
hire detectives to find out the reason for it.

Re: Strange problem with partition reiserfs

Rafael Barreto
Sorry. I see now the answear in the top. :-)

Thanks again!