SystemRescueCD with nonm

Peter Humphrey-3
Hello list,

I've been trying to boot this CD without NetworkManager starting. The docs say
to specify "nonm" on the boot command line, but it has no effect. Has anyone
else found this?

They don't tell us where to report bugs, except in beta versions, and they
don't tell us how to register an account for the forums, so I can't get in
touch with them. Google doesn't help.

Peter.

Re: SystemRescueCD with nonm

mad.scientist.at.large
That wold be very nice to know, frankly i've been pulling network cables during installs for a long time, for one your' booting an unpatched version of the os so you are vulnerable and I'm on fiber which means I'm wearing a big bullseye for potential intruders.

"We the People Dare to Create a More Perfect Union" <aclu.org>

Dec 30, 2018, 2:30 AM by [hidden email]:
Hello list,

I've been trying to boot this CD without NetworkManager starting. The docs say
to specify "nonm" on the boot command line, but it has no effect. Has anyone
else found this?

They don't tell us where to report bugs, except in beta versions, and they
don't tell us how to register an account for the forums, so I can't get in
touch with them. Google doesn't help.

Peter.

Re: SystemRescueCD with nonm

J. Roeleveld
On December 30, 2018 9:30:00 AM UTC, Peter Humphrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello list,

I've been trying to boot this CD without NetworkManager starting. The docs say
to specify "nonm" on the boot command line, but it has no effect. Has anyone
else found this?

They don't tell us where to report bugs, except in beta versions, and they
don't tell us how to register an account for the forums, so I can't get in
touch with them. Google doesn't help.

The sysresccd has a double bootline. Did you add the boot option to both (32 and 64 bit) versions?

--
Joost

On Sunday, 30 December 2018 18:12:15 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:

> The sysresccd has a double bootline. Did you add the boot option to both (32
> and 64 bit) versions?

It's a 32-bit machine. The boot line seems to have two places to put entries:
before and after the -- separator. I've tried putting it before, after and
both. It just doesn't want to know.

Peter.

Re: SystemRescueCD with nonm

Alarig Le Lay
Hi,

I modified the boot options to have a debugging OS on my DHCP for LAN:
drscott ~ # grep netboot /srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default
APPEND rescue64 scandelay=1 netboot=http://[2a01:cb08:898c:fc00::1]/sysrcd.dat docache setkmap=fr console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 rootpass=root dhcp -- rescue32 scandelay=1 netboot=http://[2a01:cb08:898c:fc00::1]/sysrcd.dat docache setkmap=fr console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 rootpass=root dhcp
LABEL netboot
kernel netboot

Hope this helps.

Alarig

On Sunday, 30 December 2018 19:03:31 GMT Alarig Le Lay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I modified the boot options to have a debugging OS on my DHCP for LAN:
> drscott ~ # grep netboot /srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default
> APPEND rescue64 scandelay=1
> netboot=http://[2a01:cb08:898c:fc00::1]/sysrcd.dat docache setkmap=fr
> console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 rootpass=root dhcp -- rescue32
> scandelay=1 netboot=http://[2a01:cb08:898c:fc00::1]/sysrcd.dat docache
> setkmap=fr console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 rootpass=root dhcp LABEL
> netboot
> kernel netboot
>
> Hope this helps.

Hmm. Not sure it does. I'd have to consider the work in changing the .iso. As
I couldn't even mount it -oloop to write it to a USB drive, that looks like a
big job.

I suppose I'll just have to put up with NetworkManager. (Boo, hiss...)

Peter.

Re: SystemRescueCD with nonm

Bill Kenworthy
On 31/12/18 6:26 pm, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> On Sunday, 30 December 2018 19:03:31 GMT Alarig Le Lay wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I modified the boot options to have a debugging OS on my DHCP for LAN:
>> drscott ~ # grep netboot /srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default
>> APPEND rescue64 scandelay=1
>> netboot=http://[2a01:cb08:898c:fc00::1]/sysrcd.dat docache setkmap=fr
>> console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 rootpass=root dhcp -- rescue32
>> scandelay=1 netboot=http://[2a01:cb08:898c:fc00::1]/sysrcd.dat docache
>> setkmap=fr console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 rootpass=root dhcp LABEL
>> netboot
>> kernel netboot
>>
>> Hope this helps.
> Hmm. Not sure it does. I'd have to consider the work in changing the .iso. As
> I couldn't even mount it -oloop to write it to a USB drive, that looks like a
> big job.
>
> I suppose I'll just have to put up with NetworkManager. (Boo, hiss...)

Let it come up, then kill -9 it and get on with life ...

BillK

Re: SystemRescueCD with nonm

Mick-10
On Monday, 31 December 2018 10:26:06 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Sunday, 30 December 2018 19:03:31 GMT Alarig Le Lay wrote:

> > kernel netboot
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> Hmm. Not sure it does. I'd have to consider the work in changing the .iso.
> As I couldn't even mount it -oloop to write it to a USB drive, that looks
> like a big job.

Did you run:

mount -o loop,exec /path/to/systemrescuecd-x86-x.y.z.iso /tmp/cdrom

as the web page instructs?  What error did you get?

I also had a go modifying the iso to include firmware for my old laptop's
Radeon card, which in the last couple of versions were excluded by the devs.

Unfortunately, some of the command(s) provided in the sysrescuecd website
failed to run - something about missing libs or files. I also don't recall if
I tried both 32bit and 64bit kernels.  I'll have another go when I get a spare
moment.

Mick

On Monday, 31 December 2018 13:19:49 GMT Mick wrote:

> On Monday, 31 December 2018 10:26:06 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Sunday, 30 December 2018 19:03:31 GMT Alarig Le Lay wrote:
> > > kernel netboot
> > >
> > > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Hmm. Not sure it does. I'd have to consider the work in changing the .iso.
> > As I couldn't even mount it -oloop to write it to a USB drive, that looks
> > like a big job.
>
> Did you run:
>
> mount -o loop,exec /path/to/systemrescuecd-x86-x.y.z.iso /tmp/cdrom
>
> as the web page instructs?

Of course.

> What error did you get?

Operation not permitted.

I also got it after burning a CD and trying to mount that.

> I also had a go modifying the iso to include firmware for my old laptop's
> Radeon card, which in the last couple of versions were excluded by the devs.
>
> Unfortunately, some of the command(s) provided in the sysrescuecd website
> failed to run - something about missing libs or files. I also don't recall
> if I tried both 32bit and 64bit kernels.  I'll have another go when I get a
> spare moment.

I wonder how active the maintenance of RescueCD is...

On Monday, 31 December 2018 15:40:48 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:

> On Monday, 31 December 2018 13:19:49 GMT Mick wrote:

> > > Hmm. Not sure it does. I'd have to consider the work in changing the
> > > .iso.
> > > As I couldn't even mount it -oloop to write it to a USB drive, that
> > > looks
> > > like a big job.
> >
> > Did you run:
> >
> > mount -o loop,exec /path/to/systemrescuecd-x86-x.y.z.iso /tmp/cdrom
> >
> > as the web page instructs?
>
> Of course.
>
> > What error did you get?
>
> Operation not permitted.
As root?  If yes, then this is rather odd.

This is what I'm getting here:

# mount -o loop,exec systemrescuecd-x86-5.3.2.iso /mnt/iso
mount: /mnt/iso: WARNING: device write-protected, mounted read-only.
# findmnt /mnt/iso
TARGET   SOURCE     FSTYPE  OPTIONS
/mnt/iso /dev/loop0 iso9660 ro,relatime,nojoliet,check=s,map=n,blocksize=2048

Mick

On Monday, 31 December 2018 16:00:34 GMT Mick wrote:

> On Monday, 31 December 2018 15:40:48 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:

> > > Did you run:
> > >
> > > mount -o loop,exec /path/to/systemrescuecd-x86-x.y.z.iso /tmp/cdrom
> > >
> > > as the web page instructs?
> >
> > Of course.
> >
> > > What error did you get?
> >
> > Operation not permitted.
>
> As root?  If yes, then this is rather odd.

Oh yes, I wouldn't expect to be able to do that as myself.

> This is what I'm getting here:
>
> # mount -o loop,exec systemrescuecd-x86-5.3.2.iso /mnt/iso
> mount: /mnt/iso: WARNING: device write-protected, mounted read-only.

Just as I was expecting too.

> # findmnt /mnt/iso
> TARGET   SOURCE     FSTYPE  OPTIONS
> /mnt/iso /dev/loop0 iso9660
> ro,relatime,nojoliet,check=s,map=n,blocksize=2048

Peter.

Re: SystemRescueCD with nonm

Jack
On 2018.12.31 05:26, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> On Sunday, 30 December 2018 19:03:31 GMT Alarig Le Lay wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I modified the boot options to have a debugging OS on my DHCP for
> LAN:
> > drscott ~ # grep netboot /srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default
> > APPEND rescue64 scandelay=1
> > netboot=http://[2a01:cb08:898c:fc00::1]/sysrcd.dat docache
> setkmap=fr
> > console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 rootpass=root dhcp -- rescue32
> > scandelay=1 netboot=http://[2a01:cb08:898c:fc00::1]/sysrcd.dat
> docache
> > setkmap=fr console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 rootpass=root dhcp
> LABEL
> > netboot
> > kernel netboot
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> Hmm. Not sure it does. I'd have to consider the work in changing the
> .iso. As
> I couldn't even mount it -oloop to write it to a USB drive, that
> looks like a
> big job.
Couldn't you just dd it to a USB drive (without needing to mount the
iso first) and then mount the drive?

Jack

On December 31, 2018 6:29:16 PM UTC, Peter Humphrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Monday, 31 December 2018 16:00:34 GMT Mick wrote:

>changing the
>that

>/tmp/cdrom

>> > Of course.

>> > Operation not permitted.
>>
>> As root?  If yes, then this is rather odd.
>
>Oh yes, I wouldn't expect to be able to do that as myself.

Strange, are you running some kind of hardened environment where you restrict root as well?

--
Joost

On Monday, 31 December 2018 22:21:20 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:

> Strange, are you running some kind of hardened environment where you
> restrict root as well?

Nope. Nothing non-standard at all.

On Monday, 31 December 2018 19:01:16 GMT Jack wrote:

> Couldn't you just dd it to a USB drive (without needing to mount the
> iso first) and then mount the drive?

I did do that, then tried to boot the USB drive. It wouldn't boot.

On 2018.12.31 21:20, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Monday, 31 December 2018 19:01:16 GMT Jack wrote:
>
> > Couldn't you just dd it to a USB drive (without needing to mount the
> > iso first) and then mount the drive?
>
> I did do that, then tried to boot the USB drive. It wouldn't boot.
Why didn't it boot?  Sorry if you said, and I missed it.

My thought is that after copying/dd'ing to the usb drive, mount the
drive, and play with the grub config file, or whatever, to deal with
whatever stops it from booting.  You could blacklist modules, or add
boot parameters, or .....   Of course, if you don't know what's
actually causing the problem, it's harder to avoid.

Maybe you'll figure it out in a New Year's miracle!

Jack

On lun. 31 déc. 14:01:16 2018, Jack wrote:
> Couldn't you just dd it to a USB drive (without needing to mount the iso
> first) and then mount the drive?

You have to do a trick to dd this ISO to an USB drive, I don’t recall it
exactly, but it’s on their website.

Alarig

On Tuesday, 1 January 2019 03:15:20 GMT Jack wrote:
> On 2018.12.31 21:20, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Monday, 31 December 2018 19:01:16 GMT Jack wrote:
> > > Couldn't you just dd it to a USB drive (without needing to mount the
> > > iso first) and then mount the drive?
> >
> > I did do that, then tried to boot the USB drive. It wouldn't boot.
>
> Why didn't it boot?  Sorry if you said, and I missed it.

No, I didn't say, but I should have. The BIOS didn't recognise it as a
bootable device.

I suspect hardware problems on that machine, a 32-bit, single-core Atom, and I
have a new SSD in the post, so I'm not too worried about it yet.

> My thought is that after copying/dd'ing to the usb drive, mount the
> drive, and play with the grub config file, or whatever, to deal with
> whatever stops it from booting.  You could blacklist modules, or add
> boot parameters, or .....   Of course, if you don't know what's
> actually causing the problem, it's harder to avoid.
>
> Maybe you'll figure it out in a New Year's miracle!

Hah!  :)

On Tuesday, 1 January 2019 08:59:56 GMT Alarig Le Lay wrote:
> On lun. 31 déc. 14:01:16 2018, Jack wrote:
> > Couldn't you just dd it to a USB drive (without needing to mount the iso
> > first) and then mount the drive?
>
> You have to do a trick to dd this ISO to an USB drive, I don’t recall it
> exactly, but it’s on their website.

Yes, but first you have to loop-mount the .iso, which I can't do for some
reason; I get Operation not permitted. I've tried the iso and the CD I burned
from it, with the same result.

Ah. I've just thought. (Ping!) This is a 32-bit iso, so perhaps I have to
mount it in a chroot.

Nope. That's not it.

I'm part-way through an emerge -e (clutching at straws), so I'll wait for it
to finish, then try again after a reboot.

Peter.

Re: SystemRescueCD with nonm

Neil Bothwick
On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 09:59:56 +0100, Alarig Le Lay wrote:

> On lun. 31 déc. 14:01:16 2018, Jack wrote:
> > Couldn't you just dd it to a USB drive (without needing to mount the
> > iso first) and then mount the drive?
>
> You have to do a trick to dd this ISO to an USB drive, I don’t recall it
> exactly, but it’s on their website.

A plain dd works, but the USB stick then has an iso9660 filesystem so you
can't edit it. The procedure on the web site is a little more involved
but results in being able to edit the boot options.

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows Error #09: Game Over. Exiting Windows.