Systemd without migration

Gmail
Hi, i'm trying to install systemd on a new installation, without openrc.

Is it possible to do? There's some guide on the net?

I having many problem with correct boot, and network.

Regards.

Re: Systemd without migration

Duncan-42
mr_L4N posted on Mon, 23 Nov 2015 22:48:27 +0100 as excerpted:

> Hi, i'm trying to install systemd on a new installation, without openrc.
>
> Is it possible to do? There's some guide on the net?
>
> I having many problem with correct boot, and network.

Quick request:  Please avoid posting in HTML next time.  Spammers and
malware distributors often need HTML to try to hide exploits and spyware
such as web beacons in, while a legit message is worth reading (and
therefore posting) in plain text.  If you _really_ need the HTML
formatting, you can post a link to a web page and use HTML all you want
on it, and readers can then decide if they trust your post (or their
browser security settings) enough to go to the page or not.  By posting
in HTML, you take away that choice, unless the reader has decided to use
a mail client that doesn't do HTML (as many security aware users do), in
which case the raw HTML part can look pretty ugly.  (Your message was
duplicated, one part in HTML, another in plain text.)

The handbook has this to say as step 19 (wrapped link, but it's quoted in
full below anyway):

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/
Installation#Optional:_Using_systemd

>>> Optional: Using systemd
>>>
>>> The remainder of the Gentoo Handbook focuses on OpenRC as the default
>>> init support system. If systemd is wanted instead, or you are
>>> planning to use Gnome 3.8 and later (which requires systemd), please
>>> consult the systemd page as it elaborates on the different
>>> configuration settings and methods.
>>>
>>> The Gentoo handbook can then be followed with that page in mind.

Where it says consult the systemd page, "systemd" is a link:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd

So it's possible, and there's general documentation, tho (beyond that
step 19) it's not exactly the step-by-step guide that the handbook
installation is for openrc -- you need to read both the systemd and
handbook pages and take into account the parts of the handbook that
systemd changes as you proceed from there.

But since gnome needs systemd now, it's likely there are plenty of users
following the systemd installation path now, which means that while it's
arguably not quite as simple as the openrc installation path, it should
be reasonably well debugged, with serious errors long since gone and most
common pitfalls well enough flagged to steer clear of. =:^)

Tho since the stage3s include openrc, in some ways you're still upgrading
from that.  But you don't have to actually build it; you can upgrade
directly from the prebuilt stage-tarball openrc to systemd.  At some
point there will likely be a systemd stage3 tarball, at least for common
archs such as amd64, but it doesn't appear to be an available option yet,
at least not an official one (there's very possibly someone somewhere
with a systemd-based stage3 they built themselves).

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 4:48 PM, mr_L4N <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, i'm trying to install systemd on a new installation, without openrc.
>
> Is it possible to do? There's some guide on the net?
>
> I having many problem with correct boot, and network.

As Duncan suggested you could follow the handbook, and it will work,
but the sequencing is suboptimal.

Merging systemd install instructions into the handbook is something on
my to-do list.

Looking at my notes the last time I looked at the details you just
need to pick a systemd profile at the point where you pick a profile.
Then you need to do these steps before you emerge -u world (the steps
are in the handbook, but not necessarily in the right order):
1. Edit locale.gen and run locale-gen
2. Pick your profile with eselect profile
3. Run ln -sf /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab   (why this isn't already in
baselayout is beyond me)
4. echo "EST5EDT" > /etc/timezone

Then when you emerge -u world these settings will get migrated to
systemd automatically.

When you're done you just add
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" to your
/etc/default/grub before running grub2-mkconfig.

If you're having booting issues it probably has nothing to do with
systemd itself - that seems like a bootloader/initramfs problem.  I'd
recommend using dracut and grub2 as they tend to be much smarter about
such things.

To get your network running you'll need to enable/start
systemd-networkd or the network manager of your choice.  If you don't
want to use networkd then make sure you install your choice of
networkd before you reboot while you still have a network, or just use
networkd until you get another network manager installed/configured.
If you're just using dhcp it doesn't require any configuration.

You did mention "without openrc" - while being able to install without
openrc is on the to-do list right now there are still a few packages
which use openrc instead of sys-apps/gentoo-functions and until these
are fixed we have openrc in the system set so that it is hard to
remove.  Once these are fixed then I suspect we'll get to a point
where picking/installing your service manager/init are just like
picking your bootloader and kernel.

You're welcome to follow my notes, but they also include the use of
btrfs which you may or may not want to use:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJlJyYLTZScta9a81xgKOIBjYsG3_VfxxmUSxG23Uxg/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Systemd without migration

Gmail
Thanks for your note, now system boot with openrc correctly, but absolutely without network (possibly driver's problem). I'm on an Asus X79

Il martedì 24 novembre 2015, Rich Freeman <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 4:48 PM, mr_L4N <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;serverplus@gmail.com&#39;)">serverplus@...> wrote:
> Hi, i'm trying to install systemd on a new installation, without openrc.
>
> Is it possible to do? There's some guide on the net?
>
> I having many problem with correct boot, and network.

As Duncan suggested you could follow the handbook, and it will work,
but the sequencing is suboptimal.

Merging systemd install instructions into the handbook is something on
my to-do list.

Looking at my notes the last time I looked at the details you just
need to pick a systemd profile at the point where you pick a profile.
Then you need to do these steps before you emerge -u world (the steps
are in the handbook, but not necessarily in the right order):
1. Edit locale.gen and run locale-gen
2. Pick your profile with eselect profile
3. Run ln -sf /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab   (why this isn't already in
baselayout is beyond me)
4. echo "EST5EDT" > /etc/timezone

Then when you emerge -u world these settings will get migrated to
systemd automatically.

When you're done you just add
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" to your
/etc/default/grub before running grub2-mkconfig.

If you're having booting issues it probably has nothing to do with
systemd itself - that seems like a bootloader/initramfs problem.  I'd
recommend using dracut and grub2 as they tend to be much smarter about
such things.

To get your network running you'll need to enable/start
systemd-networkd or the network manager of your choice.  If you don't
want to use networkd then make sure you install your choice of
networkd before you reboot while you still have a network, or just use
networkd until you get another network manager installed/configured.
If you're just using dhcp it doesn't require any configuration.

You did mention "without openrc" - while being able to install without
openrc is on the to-do list right now there are still a few packages
which use openrc instead of sys-apps/gentoo-functions and until these
are fixed we have openrc in the system set so that it is hard to
remove.  Once these are fixed then I suspect we'll get to a point
where picking/installing your service manager/init are just like
picking your bootloader and kernel.

You're welcome to follow my notes, but they also include the use of
btrfs which you may or may not want to use:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJlJyYLTZScta9a81xgKOIBjYsG3_VfxxmUSxG23Uxg/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Systemd without migration

Rich Freeman
On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 9:04 AM, mr_L4N <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your note, now system boot with openrc correctly, but absolutely
> without network (possibly driver's problem). I'm on an Asus X79

That is quite possible.  How did you build your kernel?  Genkernel's
defaults should give you the same configuration as the Gentoo install
CD, so if that worked your install should work as far as drivers go.

If you're using openrc you'll probably need a network manager, such as
dhcpcd.  It has been a while since I've used it so perhaps that has
changed.  Either dhcpcd or systemd-networkd should work for a dhcp
network with no tweaking if you enable them and your drivers are good.

If you have iproute2 or net-tools installed you can run either
"ifconfig -a" or "ip link" to show all interfaces that are available.
If you see your device then your kernel is good and the problem is the
network manager.  If you don't see your device the problem lies in the
kernel.

Systemd without migration

Gmail
Now i've an error during the compilation "4.1.12-gentooError: kernelrelease not valid - exceeds 64 characters" then don't create image and System.map

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 5:17 AM, mr_L4N <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now i've an error during the compilation "4.1.12-gentooError: kernelrelease
> not valid - exceeds 64 characters" then don't create image and System.map

You might want to post more details on what exactly you're doing.  It
sounds like you're trying to build a kernel.  Are you doing it by hand
or using genkernel?  What kernel are you trying to build (what package
are you using, what version, is this an upstream git kernel, etc)?
What steps did you do to cause the error?  What config file are you
using?  Link to build log or attach.  Etc...

This applies anytime you're having a build issue.  No two Gentoo
systems are quite alike so in order to troubleshoot problems people
will need to know what you're doing.

Re: Systemd without migration

Gmail
I've follow your step, and i'm trying to build a kernel hand made.

I'm again in chroot and don't find any logs.

Here my system in this moment

Regards.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 6:51 AM, mr_L4N <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've follow your step, and i'm trying to build a kernel hand made.
>
> I'm again in chroot and don't find any logs.
>
> Here my system in this moment
>
> http://bpaste.net/show/261475381046

What did you type leading up to the error you received?  What kernel
config are you using (a copy of the actual config file)?

Re: Systemd without migration

Gmail
After the comand make O=/var/tmp/linux -j3 i've received the error using a copy of gentoo cd live kernel.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 7:16 AM, mr_L4N <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After the comand make O=/var/tmp/linux -j3 i've received the error using a
> copy of gentoo cd live kernel.

Ok, I see you're following my instructions in the previous email.  Can
you post a copy of your kernel config (.config)?  I don't have a copy
of whatever is on the current install CDs handy, and perhaps you
modified a setting or two while configuring it, or maybe there is
something odd in the install CD config.

With a copy of the config file I can at least emerge the same sources
and hopefully generate the same error and figure out what is going on.

Re: Systemd without migration

Gmail
Here the link https://bpaste.net/show/eb3cd010be3c

Thanks a lot

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 8:25 AM, mr_L4N <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here the link https://bpaste.net/show/eb3cd010be3c

I suspect some kind of environmental issue, as that kernel builds fine
with that config on a stable amd64 system.

An arch user ran into that error when trying to build sources on a
path that was mounted noexec.  You aren't using any odd build
settings, are you?  I'm not sure what /usr/src and /var/tmp are
mounted on.  Also, if you did make /var/tmp a tmpfs per my guide, make
sure you have enough RAM to store the full kernel output.

You shouldn't have problems with that kernel+config in general.

Re: Systemd without migration

Gmail
I don't know what happens, i run manually make bzImage then make install and now System boot with systemd, but without keyboard and mouse....another WAR.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 10:50 AM, mr_L4N <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know what happens, i run manually make bzImage then make install and
> now System boot with systemd, but without keyboard and mouse....another WAR.

I take it you built/installed your modules?  And do you need an
initramfs for your configuration?  You're mostly having kernel issues
at this point - you could boot to either openrc or systemd as you
prefer and you'll likely have the same issues.

Re: Systemd without migration

Gmail
Modules are built and installed and i have create an initramfs with dracut and emerged xorg.

I can't login, no mouse, no keyboard.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM, mr_L4N <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Modules are built and installed and i have create an initramfs with dracut
> and emerged xorg.
>
> I can't login, no mouse, no keyboard.

Ah, this is the first mention of xorg (at least that I caught).  Can
you log into a virtual console (hit ctrl-alt-F1).  If you can then it
is probably an X11 driver issue and not a kernel issue.

See:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide#Input_driver_support

This has generic info.  Your kernel appears to have evdev support, but
if you did anything to disable it in xorg that would cause issues like
this.

So, go ahead and confirm whether you can log in via the console.  If
so, focus on X11.  Neither systemd nor openrc has much impact on the
keyboard working as far as I'm aware, though once you log in
logind/consolekit comes into play (I don't expect issues here, but you
seem to have a run of bad luck unless you tweaked something like
setting USE=-* or whatever).

Re: Systemd without migration

Gmail
Unfortunately I've followed that guide and i can't log in console. Impossible to press any keys.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM, mr_L4N <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;serverplus@gmail.com&#39;)">serverplus@...> wrote:
> Modules are built and installed and i have create an initramfs with dracut
> and emerged xorg.
>
> I can't login, no mouse, no keyboard.

Ah, this is the first mention of xorg (at least that I caught).  Can
you log into a virtual console (hit ctrl-alt-F1).  If you can then it
is probably an X11 driver issue and not a kernel issue.

See:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide#Input_driver_support

This has generic info.  Your kernel appears to have evdev support, but
if you did anything to disable it in xorg that would cause issues like
this.

So, go ahead and confirm whether you can log in via the console.  If
so, focus on X11.  Neither systemd nor openrc has much impact on the
keyboard working as far as I'm aware, though once you log in
logind/consolekit comes into play (I don't expect issues here, but you
seem to have a run of bad luck unless you tweaked something like
setting USE=-* or whatever).

Re: Systemd without migration

Duncan-42
mr_L4N posted on Sat, 28 Nov 2015 01:00:47 +0100 as excerpted:

> Unfortunately I've followed that guide and i can't log in console.
> Impossible to press any keys.

Please reply in context (under the bit you're replying to), so replying
to you in context in turn is easy.  Here, I have your context, but it's
still out of context because your reply out of context of the original,
which was unfortunately below your reply, itself makes little sense.

So filling in a bit of that missing context, the problem is no keyboard/
mouse, in X, after installing directly to systemd, and ctrl-alt-F1
doesn't yield a text console to see if the keyboard works there.

Now to try to reply to it...

Please also try ctrl-alt-F2 and ctrl-alt-F3.  Depending on how systemd is
configured, X may actually be running on VT1, in which case ctrl-alt-F1
wouldn't do anything since you're already on VT1.  But the F2 and F3
variants should, as in that case VT2 and VT3 should be free.

If that doesn't work, try adding this to your kernel commandline options
(in grub2 or whatever) before booting it:

rescue

That tells systemd to boot to the rescue target, which should give you a
terminal prompt, with a message saying to either enter the root password,
or press ctrl-D to continue.

Assuming you get that prompt, the next question is whether you can
actually either enter the password or press ctrl-D there, in which case
your keyboard is working fine at the text console.

If you can login to root, you'll be at the rescue target, which should
have early services started and filesystems mounted, but will not have
started the normal services that start with multi-user.target or
graphical.target (which is basically multi-user plus the X/graphical
login).

FWIW, when I setup systemd here, I configured systemd to boot to multi-
user by default, instead of graphical.  That way I get a text login with
all services started but the X login, and can run startx from there, to
directly start my desktop environment session of choice (a somewhat
lighter than default kde).  It's up to you whether you want to do that as
it is after all your machine, but FWIW I prefer the text login here, and
it does sure help when troubleshooting X or DE related issues.  If that
sounds useful (possibly even temporarily), you can set that up by
creating /etc/systemd/system/default.target as a symlink, pointed at
/usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target , thus overriding the shipped
/usr/lib/systemd/system/default.target -> graphical.target .

Anyway, once logged in at the rescue target, you can run:

systemctl start multi-user.target

That should start remaining system services and give you a normal text
console login, without starting X.  Once there, you can continue
troubleshooting X's problems, trying to figure out why it's not seeing
your keyboard and mouse.

Alternatively, try systemd.unit=multi-user.target on the kernel
commandline.  I've not actually tried it, but according to the systemd
documentation (systemd.special (7) manpage), systemd.unit= can be used to
override the normal default.target, which in your case apparently is
currently pointing at graphical.target (the shipped default) as described
above.  So this should boot you directly to multi-user.target without
having to go thru rescue.target first.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

Re: Systemd without migration

Gmail
I've add rescue in grub2 setting, same error with others many strange problems, the last with resolv.conf. What's happens? I want to modify it to add mine dns servers; open the file, modify it, but is impossible to save because system says "file not exist".

BTW i want to repeat all the step from the first with a new installation, only a question: why you emerge @world before the kernel? I always emerged kernel before, but Probably isn't the better choice.

Thanks for your time, i hope to have early a System that works fine.

Regards.

12