Test Request: Catalyst 2.0_pre20051111

Chris Gianelloni
As you can probably guess by the subject, I've added
catalyst-2.0_pre20051111 to the tree.  I plan on finalizing catalyst 2.0
by the end of the month, so I really need testers for this.  If you have
questions about this release, feel free to ask them on gentoo-catalyst.
For bugs, please files bugs.

To install it, you will need to do the following (on x86):

mkdir -p /etc/portage
echo "dev-util/catalyst" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
echo "dev-util/catalyst ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
USE="doc" emerge catalyst

Please use USE="doc" to get the updated example spec templates.  The
livecd-specs package has not been updated for catalyst 2.0, so there's
no need for USE="examples" unless you're unfamiliar with catalyst.

This is slotted to run along-side catalyst 1.x, so it shouldn't break
anybody's machines.  Once catalyst 2.0 goes final, it will no longer be
slotted, as we are completely superseding catalyst 1.x with catalyst
2.0.

The main differences in your spec files are all going to be in
livecd-stage2:

livecd/cdfstype -> livecd/fstype
livecd/archscript (removed)
livecd/runscript (removed)

Everything else *should* be the same.  There's also a ton of new options
for caching, so catalyst 2.0 runs should be dramatically faster for
repeated runs.  We're planning on using this for 2006.0, so we want it
bug-fixed and stabilized by no later than the end of the year.  Please
test this release.

This release also brings about the addition of the "stage4" target.  A
stage4 is essentially livecd-stage1 + livecd-stage2, rolled into a
tarball, rather than an ISO.  This allows you to deploy a pre-configured
(yay fsscript!) tarball out to multiple machines, install the
bootloader, and reboot.  While I we are interested in bug reports on the
stage4 target, I ask you to focus time on the "classic" targets: stages
1 through 3, and livecd-stages 1 and 2, as we will be using these on the
next release.

Thanks again,

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead

RE: Test Request: Catalyst 2.0_pre20051111

Kessler, Paul
Ok so this isn't a bug but in the livecd-stage2 template example the livecd/linuxrc section is duplicated. Also thanks for adding the options in the stage 2 for configuring the X session and display manager. That eliminates two lines from my fsscript. Just wondering but has kerncache been fixed? Going to start the first build now.

Paul

________________________________

winmail.dat (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Test Request: Catalyst 2.0_pre20051111

Eric Edgar
kerncache should be fixed now
Eric

On 12:50 Fri 11 Nov     , Kessler, Paul wrote:

> Ok so this isn't a bug but in the livecd-stage2 template example the livecd/linuxrc section is duplicated. Also thanks for adding the options in the stage 2 for configuring the X session and display manager. That eliminates two lines from my fsscript. Just wondering but has kerncache been fixed? Going to start the first build now.
>
> Paul
>
> ________________________________

You may want to also enable
seedcache
snapcache
autoresume

Eric

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 12:50 -0600, Kessler, Paul wrote:
> Ok so this isn't a bug but in the livecd-stage2 template example the livecd/linuxrc section is duplicated.

Fixed in CVS.

> Also thanks for adding the options in the stage 2 for configuring the X session and display manager. That eliminates two lines from my fsscript.

It removes a couple from mine, too.

> Just wondering but has kerncache been fixed? Going to start the first build now.

Yes.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
x86 Architecture Team
Games - Developer
Gentoo Linux

Re: [gentoo-releng] Test Request: Catalyst 2.0_pre20051111

Chris Gianelloni
(Responding to both lists.  Please keep further correspondence on this
to gentoo-catalyst).

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 12:11 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Is there a "generic" bug for this testing, or should we just file them
> against catalyst-2.0_pre200511xx individually?

File separate bugs, please.  We consider catalyst 2.x to be as ready to
go as catalyst 1.x ever was, but would like just a bit more testing.
Having individual bugs at this point makes tracking easier than a single
bug.

> I just started the testing, so I'm guessing it will be a while before I
> need to file any bugs. I doubt if I'll hit anything until I start trying
> to build my personalized LiveCDs; everything else is vanilla i686 up to
> that point.

I have built a few CDs now and have found it to work quite well...
especially after we squashed the "x86 and amd64 CDs don't boot"
problem... ;]