The saga of the missing Logitech drivers

The saga of the missing Logitech drivers

Andrew Lowe-2
Hi all,
        I posted something a few days ago about middle click of a mouse not
working. In investigating this, I think I have come across something a
bit dodgy.

        I have just updated my kernel to 5.5.0. This has the dodgy behaviour of
the middle button not working.   A bit of Googling led me to reboot my
machine with an older kernel, 5.4.14. The middle button worked. The
kernel is the problem I thought. I in turn diff'd the configs for the
two kernels. 5.4.14 has 7 lines of Logitech stuff under CONFIG_HID_.
5.5.0 has none. The Logitech stuff appears in the 5.5.0 kernel if I
search within the kernel config thingy, "make menuconfig". It should be
noted that I usually roll my old config file over into the new kernel
then run "make oldconfig".

        "make menuconfig" under 5.5.0 shows, in my situation, Device
Drivers->HID support->Special HID drivers:

Kensington...
LC-Power
Lenovo...
Apple Magic...
Maltron...

Under 5.4.14 there would have been a Logitech between Lenovo & Magic Mouse

        With this in mind, I deleted the current config file, the one based on
5.4.14 with "make oldconfig" and missing Logitech and then reran "make
menuconfig". Working my way down to the mouse drivers, lo & behold,
there are entries for the Logitech mice. When I exit "make menuconfig"
and look at the .config file, the Logitech stuff is there.

        Now the big questions are:

1) Is "make oldconfig" broken?
2) Can I no longer take my old config across and update it?
3) Am I a dill and doing something obviously wrong?

        I don't want to have to start from a fresh config file and weed out all
the %^&^$^#^# stuff I don't need, all of the weird network cards, the
Intel CPU stuf, I run AMD, etc etc.

        Any thoughts on how to rectify this situation would be greatly appreciated,

        Andrew

Re: The saga of the missing Logitech drivers

Mick-10
On Friday, 31 January 2020 17:42:20 GMT Andrew Lowe wrote:
> Hi all,
> I posted something a few days ago about middle click of a mouse not
> working. In investigating this, I think I have come across something a
> bit dodgy.
>
> I have just updated my kernel to 5.5.0. This has the dodgy
behaviour of

> the middle button not working.   A bit of Googling led me to reboot my
> machine with an older kernel, 5.4.14. The middle button worked. The
> kernel is the problem I thought. I in turn diff'd the configs for the
> two kernels. 5.4.14 has 7 lines of Logitech stuff under CONFIG_HID_.
> 5.5.0 has none. The Logitech stuff appears in the 5.5.0 kernel if I
> search within the kernel config thingy, "make menuconfig". It should be
> noted that I usually roll my old config file over into the new kernel
> then run "make oldconfig".
>
> "make menuconfig" under 5.5.0 shows, in my situation, Device
> Drivers->HID support->Special HID drivers:

> Kensington...
> LC-Power
> Lenovo...
> Apple Magic...
> Maltron...
>
> Under 5.4.14 there would have been a Logitech between Lenovo & Magic Mouse
>
> With this in mind, I deleted the current config file, the one based
on

> 5.4.14 with "make oldconfig" and missing Logitech and then reran "make
> menuconfig". Working my way down to the mouse drivers, lo & behold,
> there are entries for the Logitech mice. When I exit "make menuconfig"
> and look at the .config file, the Logitech stuff is there.
>
> Now the big questions are:
>
> 1) Is "make oldconfig" broken?
> 2) Can I no longer take my old config across and update it?
> 3) Am I a dill and doing something obviously wrong?
>
> I don't want to have to start from a fresh config file and weed out
all
> the %^&^$^#^# stuff I don't need, all of the weird network cards, the
> Intel CPU stuf, I run AMD, etc etc.
>
> Any thoughts on how to rectify this situation would be greatly
appreciated,

> Andrew

I have not noticed 'make oldconfig' failing to configure my devices.  However,
I run stable sources and this might make a difference (it shouldn't).

What may be happening is the tree of options has changed and Logitech or
whatever you're fishing for may have now been reclassified under some other
major option, which in the latest kernel config is disabled by default.  Your
old config does not have the same tree structure and therefore you may have
missed the chance to enable whatever Logitech is now a suboption of.

I have come across this a couple of times over the years, especially on
network options which it seems to me change in name and number along with the
seasons.  When something breaks I use menuconfig and hunt around for any
relevant major option I need to enable, in order to make the suboption I'm
after to reappear.  Kernel changelogs/git may provide a hint.  It can be
annoying when you're rushing to get a new kernel to boot correctly, but I
haven't found a cleverer way around it.

Mick

Re: The saga of the missing Logitech drivers

Jack
On 2020.01.31 12:42, Andrew Lowe wrote:

> Hi all,
> I posted something a few days ago about middle click of a mouse
> not working. In investigating this, I think I have come across
> something a bit dodgy.
>
> I have just updated my kernel to 5.5.0. This has the dodgy
> behaviour of the middle button not working.   A bit of Googling led
> me to reboot my machine with an older kernel, 5.4.14. The middle
> button worked. The kernel is the problem I thought. I in turn diff'd
> the configs for the two kernels. 5.4.14 has 7 lines of Logitech stuff
> under CONFIG_HID_. 5.5.0 has none. The Logitech stuff appears in the
> 5.5.0 kernel if I search within the kernel config thingy, "make
> menuconfig". It should be noted that I usually roll my old config
> file over into the new kernel then run "make oldconfig".
>
> "make menuconfig" under 5.5.0 shows, in my situation, Device
> Drivers->HID support->Special HID drivers:

> Kensington...
> LC-Power
> Lenovo...
> Apple Magic...
> Maltron...
>
> Under 5.4.14 there would have been a Logitech between Lenovo & Magic
> Mouse
>
> With this in mind, I deleted the current config file, the one
> based on 5.4.14 with "make oldconfig" and missing Logitech and then
> reran "make menuconfig". Working my way down to the mouse drivers, lo
> & behold, there are entries for the Logitech mice. When I exit "make
> menuconfig" and look at the .config file, the Logitech stuff is there.
>
> Now the big questions are:
>
> 1) Is "make oldconfig" broken?
> 2) Can I no longer take my old config across and update it?
> 3) Am I a dill and doing something obviously wrong?
>
> I don't want to have to start from a fresh config file and weed
> out all the %^&^$^#^# stuff I don't need, all of the weird network
> cards, the Intel CPU stuf, I run AMD, etc etc.
>
> Any thoughts on how to rectify this situation would be greatly
> appreciated,
>
> Andrew
I'm not yet able to update to 5.5 (problems with virtualbox-modules,
but there is already a bug filed) but am wondering if I will run into
this same problem.  I don't think I have any specific mouse drivers
loaded, as I have been using cheap generic mice without problems so
far.  However, did you try grepping for LOGITECH in the new .config?  I
see "# CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH is not set".  If you look at the help for
the top logitech entry (once you can get to it) look at the
requirements, and see if perhaps one of them is not set.   If one of
the requirements is not set, then the option doesn't even appear.
I know this doesn't directly answer what might be broken, but as I
remember, the kernel upgrade guides do suggest going through the full
configuration when changing more than just the minor version.  So
5.4.12 to 5.4.13, the make oldconfig is likely to be enough, but 5.4.x
to 5.5.x is likely to actually need you to run through the whole thing
- not necessarily starting from scratch, but just to check for oddities
like this.
That said, it is certainly possible there is a bug somewhere, maybe
even in the stuff that drives the make oldconfig, which unset or failed
to set something that should have been set based on the starting
.config.

Jack

Re: The saga of the missing Logitech drivers

Dr Rainer Woitok
Andrew,

On Saturday, 2020-02-01 01:42:20 +0800, you wrote:

> 1) Is "make oldconfig" broken?

Dunno.  But I'm using a slightly different approach:

- Copy your old kernel config over to the new kernel directory.

- Run "make olddefconfig".  This will try to adapt your old configurat-
  ion to the new kernel.

- Compare the two config files using "diff" and then use "make xconfig"
  or "make menuconfig" to fine tune the new configuration.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
  Rainer

Re: The saga of the missing Logitech drivers

Daniel Frey-6
On 1/31/20 10:16 AM, Jack wrote:
> I know this doesn't directly answer what might be broken, but as I
> remember, the kernel upgrade guides do suggest going through the full
> configuration when changing more than just the minor version.  So 5.4.12
> to 5.4.13, the make oldconfig is likely to be enough, but 5.4.x to 5.5.x
> is likely to actually need you to run through the whole thing - not
> necessarily starting from scratch, but just to check for oddities like
> this.

I came here to post exactly this - I've been building kernels since 2003
and I have had major kernels bork on oldconfig at least a dozen times.
Minor revision updates are always OK.

Dan

On 1/2/20 1:42 am, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> Hi all,
>      I posted something a few days ago about middle click of a mouse not
> working. In investigating this, I think I have come across something a
> bit dodgy.

        So first off, thanks for the comments/thoughts/pointers. Unfortunately
I basically had tried all of them, diff'd this, checked that and it
appears the only thing is to start from scratch, which is a really
painful thought.

        Why is "menuconfig" so badly organised? A bit of alphabetical ordering
wouldn't go astray, a la a dir structure as displayed in Dolphin/Win
Explorer....

        Anyway, 5.5.1 is out and I've tried that as well, hoping for a fix, but
to no avail. Logitech still disappears. Does anyone know where I could
look for bugs on menuconfig or a non intimidating place to ask about
this - I don't want Linus "shouting" at me on the LKML.

On 2020.02.01 14:09, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> On 1/2/20 1:42 am, Andrew Lowe wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>      I posted something a few days ago about middle click of a mouse
>> not working. In investigating this, I think I have come across
>> something a bit dodgy.
I have no logitech devices, and no problem with middle click doing
paste in most circumstances, but open link in new tab in browsers with
5.5.0.

> So first off, thanks for the comments/thoughts/pointers.
> Unfortunately I basically had tried all of them, diff'd this, checked
> that and it appears the only thing is to start from scratch, which is
> a really painful thought.
Do you really need to start from scratch, or just go through every page
and item starting with your current .config?
> Why is "menuconfig" so badly organised? A bit of alphabetical
> ordering wouldn't go astray, a la a dir structure as displayed in
> Dolphin/Win Explorer....
> Anyway, 5.5.1 is out and I've tried that as well, hoping for a
> fix, but to no avail. Logitech still disappears. Does anyone know
> where I could look for bugs on menuconfig or a non intimidating place
> to ask about this - I don't want Linus "shouting" at me on the LKML.
No direct advice here, but when I run xconfig and search on Logitech, I
get four entries.  In case the "Depends on" might point you to what
higher level item you need to turn on, here are the help screens from
each.  The Location entry should hopefully give a hint where to look
for them.   In my case, since the first is set to no, the other three
only show up under search, but not in the main window.
-------------------
Logitech devices (HID_LOGITECH)

CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH:

Support for Logitech devices that are not fully compliant with HID
standard.

Symbol: HID_LOGITECH [=n]
Type : tristate
Prompt: Logitech devices
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> HID support
-> HID bus support (HID [=y])
-> Special HID drivers
Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:525
Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y] && LEDS_CLASS [=y]
-------------------
Logitech Unifying receivers full support (HID_LOGITECH_DJ)

CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH_DJ:

Say Y if you want support for Logitech Unifying receivers and devices.
Unifying receivers are capable of pairing up to 6 Logitech compliant
devices to the same receiver. Without this driver it will be handled by
generic USB_HID driver and all incoming events will be multiplexed
into a single mouse and a single keyboard device.

Symbol: HID_LOGITECH_DJ [=n]
Type : tristate
Prompt: Logitech Unifying receivers full support
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> HID support
-> HID bus support (HID [=y])
-> Special HID drivers
-> Logitech devices (HID_LOGITECH [=n])
Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:533
Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y] && USB_HID [=y] && HIDRAW [=y] &&
HID_LOGITECH [=n]
Selects: HID_LOGITECH_HIDPP [=n]
-------------------
Logitech HID++ devices support (HID_LOGITECH_HIDPP)

CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH_HIDPP:

Support for Logitech devices relyingon the HID++ Logitech specification

Say Y if you want support for Logitech devices relying on the HID++
specification. Such devices are the various Logitech Touchpads (T650,
T651, TK820), some mice (Zone Touch mouse), or even keyboards (Solar
Keyboard).

Symbol: HID_LOGITECH_HIDPP [=n]
Type : tristate
Prompt: Logitech HID++ devices support
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> HID support
-> HID bus support (HID [=y])
-> Special HID drivers
-> Logitech devices (HID_LOGITECH [=n])
Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:546
Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y] && HID_LOGITECH [=n]
Selects: POWER_SUPPLY [=y]
Selected by [n]:
- HID_LOGITECH_DJ [=n] && INPUT [=y] && HID [=y] && USB_HID [=y] &&
HIDRAW [=y] && HID_LOGITECH [=n]
-------------------
Logitech force feedback support (LOGITECH_FF)

CONFIG_LOGITECH_FF:

Say Y here if you have one of these devices:
- Logitech WingMan Cordless RumblePad
- Logitech WingMan Cordless RumblePad 2
- Logitech WingMan Force 3D

and if you want to enable force feedback for them.
Note: if you say N here, this device will still be supported, but
without
force feedback.

Symbol: LOGITECH_FF [=n]
Type : bool
Prompt: Logitech force feedback support
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> HID support
-> HID bus support (HID [=y])
-> Special HID drivers
-> Logitech devices (HID_LOGITECH [=n])
Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:558
Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y] && HID_LOGITECH [=n]
Selects: INPUT_FF_MEMLESS [=y]
-------------------

Re: [SOLVED] The saga of the missing Logitech drivers

Andrew Lowe-2
On 1/2/20 1:42 am, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> Hi all,
>      I posted something a few days ago about middle click of a mouse not
> working. In investigating this, I think I have come across something a
> bit dodgy.

[snip]

        Well this problems is solved. As someone pointed out, Jack both times,
it was related to things not being set. To expose the Logitech drivers
you need INPUT, HID and LEDS_CLASS all set. If you don't then Logitech
will disappear.

        I'm sure that in the past I've had to enable things and when I tried to
select them, I couldn't and then a look in the help indicated something
else needed to be enabled - enable it and I could subsequent select. In
this case, the thing, LOGITECH was not even displayed. As to whether
this is new behaviour or not, can't select Vs hidden, I don't know.
Menuconfig is an absolute mess and, is it too much to ask for
alphabetical order, and the less that I need to interact with it the better.

        Thanks for those who offered help,

                Andrew

Re: [SOLVED] The saga of the missing Logitech drivers

Dale-46
Andrew Lowe wrote:

> On 1/2/20 1:42 am, Andrew Lowe wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>      I posted something a few days ago about middle click of a mouse
>> not working. In investigating this, I think I have come across
>> something a bit dodgy.
>>
> [snip]
>
>     Well this problems is solved. As someone pointed out, Jack both
> times, it was related to things not being set. To expose the Logitech
> drivers you need INPUT, HID and LEDS_CLASS all set. If you don't then
> Logitech will disappear.
>
>     I'm sure that in the past I've had to enable things and when I
> tried to select them, I couldn't and then a look in the help indicated
> something else needed to be enabled - enable it and I could subsequent
> select. In this case, the thing, LOGITECH was not even displayed. As
> to whether this is new behaviour or not, can't select Vs hidden, I
> don't know. Menuconfig is an absolute mess and, is it too much to ask
> for alphabetical order, and the less that I need to interact with it
> the better.
>
>     Thanks for those who offered help,
>
>         Andrew

You are not alone on hidden items.  A little while back, I needed to
enable something for my drive file systems.  It wouldn't let me see it
until like three or four other things were enabled.  Thing is, when I
would enable one and go look again, it would have added another one that
had to be enabled.  It is frustrating at times.  I'd think there should
be a better way but I'm not doing the coding.  Maybe show all options
and if others need to be enabled, a little popup letting you know that
enabling that will also enable others.  After all, if you have to have
that driver, you'll have to enable those others whether you have to go
dig for them or not.  :/

I guess this is one of those, 'it's to late to do it better' things.  It
may require a complete rewrite to get it to work better and no one wants
to step up and do all that coding.  ;-)  I know I don't, and can't.

Glad you got it sorted out tho.  Hard to have a GUI with no mouse
nowadays.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Re: [SOLVED] The saga of the missing Logitech drivers

Neil Bothwick
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 23:07:16 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:

> Well this problems is solved. As someone pointed out, Jack both
> times, it was related to things not being set. To expose the Logitech
> drivers you need INPUT, HID and LEDS_CLASS all set. If you don't then
> Logitech will disappear.
>
> I'm sure that in the past I've had to enable things and when I
> tried to select them, I couldn't and then a look in the help indicated
> something else needed to be enabled - enable it and I could subsequent
> select. In this case, the thing, LOGITECH was not even displayed. As to
> whether this is new behaviour or not, can't select Vs hidden, I don't
> know.
It's been that way as long as I've ben using it, menuconfig only displays
items you can actually select in its tree listing. However, the search
results return all matching options, and show what you need to enable to
make an option available.

> Menuconfig is an absolute mess and, is it too much to ask for
> alphabetical order, and the less that I need to interact with it the
> better.

Have you tried xconfig? It is somewhat more user friendly. But, yes, and
alpha listing would be nice, as would an option to show only new items.

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows - software package to turn a 486 into an Etch-A-Sketch!

Re: [SOLVED] The saga of the missing Logitech drivers

Peter Humphrey-3
On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 17:18:03 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:

> Have you tried xconfig? It is somewhat more user friendly. But, yes, and
> alpha listing would be nice, as would an option to show only new items.

Well, we have something like the latter already; anything that's new is shown
with (NEW) against it. Not the same, I know, and you have to go scanning for
it, but at least it is there.

Peter.

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 22:41:45 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> > Have you tried xconfig? It is somewhat more user friendly. But, yes,
> > and alpha listing would be nice, as would an option to show only new
> > items.
>
> Well, we have something like the latter already; anything that's new is
> shown with (NEW) against it. Not the same, I know, and you have to go
> scanning for it, but at least it is there.

I know that, and make oldconfig shows them one at a time, but an option
to show only new items in the normal view would be nice. I wonder if
xconfig does this, I haven't used it in a while.

--
Neil Bothwick

c:>Press Enter to Exit