Using speed step with a Pentium III.

Jonathan-181
I can not make speed step work with my Toshiba Protege 7200.
My laptop has a Pentium III (Coppermine) processor.
I'm sure it can use speedstep because I used throttling software under Windows.
My kernel version is 2.6.28-gentoo-r5.

test-laptop ~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 646.814
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
bogomips : 1293.62
clflush size : 32
power management:

Running "modprobe speedstep-lib" does not return any output and the exit code is 1.
Using modprobe on speedstep-smi and speedstep-ich returns "FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_* (FilePath) No such device" and the exit code is 0.

test-laptop ~ # lsmod | grep speed
speedstep_lib           7200  0

test-laptop ~ # cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling
<not supported>

test-laptop ~ # cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
Report errors and bugs to [hidden email], please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU

Re: Using speed step with a Pentium III.

david-108
Jonathan wrote:
> I can not make speed step work with my Toshiba Protege 7200.

What does this return?

grep 'TOSHIBA' /usr/src/linux/.config

--
Powered by Gentoo GNU/Linux
http://linuxcrazy.com

Re: Using speed step with a Pentium III.

Jonathan-181
On Mon, 18 May 2009 17:02:19 -0400
David <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What does this return?
>
> grep 'TOSHIBA' /usr/src/linux/.config

test-laptop ~ # grep 'TOSHIBA' /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_TOSHIBA=y
CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
CONFIG_YENTA_TOSHIBA=y

test-laptop linux # lsmod | grep "toshiba"
toshiba_acpi            9048  0
rfkill                 11916  1 toshiba_acpi
backlight               5956  1 toshiba_acpi
input_polldev           5704  1 toshiba_acpi