WHY

Andrey Moshbear
Why is gentoo-laptop being bombarded by replies to _Linux_ issues from
companies WHO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH LINUX?

I speak for everybody when I say this:
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKING REPLIES ON
THIS MOTHERFUCKING LIST!

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Re: WHY

Sebastian Günther-4
* Andrey Vul ([hidden email]) [09.11.08 19:10]:
> Why is gentoo-laptop being bombarded by replies to _Linux_ issues from
> companies WHO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH LINUX?
>
> I speak for everybody when I say this:
> ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKING REPLIES ON
> THIS MOTHERFUCKING LIST!

Beg your pardon?

What replies?

Sebastian

--
 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. "      Karl Marx

 SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER         mailto:[hidden email]

Re: WHY

Sebastian Günther-4
* Sebastian Günther ([hidden email]) [09.11.08 22:46]:

> * Andrey Vul ([hidden email]) [09.11.08 19:10]:
> > Why is gentoo-laptop being bombarded by replies to _Linux_ issues from
> > companies WHO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH LINUX?
> >
> > I speak for everybody when I say this:
> > ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKING REPLIES ON
> > THIS MOTHERFUCKING LIST!
> >

> Beg your pardon?
>
> What replies?

OK, now I know. :(

Is there an admin present who can remove some addresses from the list?

--
 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. "      Karl Marx

 SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER         mailto:[hidden email]

Re: WHY

steev-5
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Sebastian Günther
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > I speak for everybody when I say this:
>> > ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKING REPLIES ON
>> > THIS MOTHERFUCKING LIST!
>> >

>> Beg your pardon?
>>
>> What replies?
>>
> OK, now I know. :(
>
> Is there an admin present who can remove some addresses from the list?
>

>> Sebastian

While I would typically agree with your first sentiment - I have to go
with the replier to your post - What replies??  I am missing out on
something here - maybe the mails are getting caught as spam on my
system so I never see them - if you send me a list I can get it to the
admin.

Re: WHY

Andrey Moshbear
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 09:48, Steev Klimaszewski <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Beg your pardon?
>>>
>>> What replies?
>>>
>> OK, now I know. :(
>>
>> Is there an admin present who can remove some addresses from the list?
>>

>>> Sebastian
>
> While I would typically agree with your first sentiment - I have to go
> with the replier to your post - What replies??  I am missing out on
> something here - maybe the mails are getting caught as spam on my
> system so I never see them - if you send me a list I can get it to the
> admin.
The spam replies to my previous thread have been deleted off the
archives - that's nice.
But here's an example of what's still on the archives and I consider
significantly off-topic:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-laptop/msg_401ea929952b39e6458c8256019f955e.xml
I.e. the Nero Re:Re:Re:Re:Re... stuff.

Andrey Vul

PS. I'm not the only person who's "Samuel L Jackson pissed off" with
the Nero incident.

Re: WHY

steev-5
Uh - Its in the archives and you're pissed off by it?  The person was
unsubscribed back when it happened - hint - it was 4 months ago - stop
with the nerd rage - it was taken care of, and as far as i can tell
hasn't happened since.

Listadmin speaks - Was: Re: Re: WHY

Robin H. Johnson-2
Dude,

Lay off the emo angst.

The only "solution" to being completely spam-free is going to moderation on
every list, which is a huge burden, and I've got enough other stuff to do.

I succinctly laid out the real problem on the mlmmj mailing list some months
ago, and also discovered at the time that it effects nearly every other mailing
list program.

Simply put, the spammer finds some auto-responder that ignores the 'Precedence:
Bulk' header and replies anyway, and forges mail from that address, to the
subscribe address. The auto-responder confirms itself and is then subscribed.

Now for pass two, the spammer forges a message from the auto-responder to the
list itself. The spam is now accepted to the list.

Normally, that would be the end of it, one forge, one spam, however there is a
worse case.

The Nero auto-responder was the most extreme example, because unlike most
auto-responders, it did NOT have any rate-limiter or loop detection. Thus after
a single forged mail, the auto-responder saw it's own messages, and replied to
them AGAIN. Our Gentoo systems can usually catch this as we have our own loop
detection, however the Nero auto-responder stripped those headers so it wasn't
detected until somebody reported the problem to me as the listadmin.

If you see a spam that has slipped through (and it's not a lot, I count 5 spams
for gentoo-laptop in the last 30 days), I highly encourage you to send me an
email, NOT containing the message itself, but containing a link to the spam in
archives.gentoo.org (or any other web archive). Do not send the spam itself, as
it will be caught by my own filters (I get thousands of spams a day to
[hidden email]).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy

Re: Listadmin speaks - Was: Re: Re: WHY

Sebastian Günther-4
* Robin H. Johnson ([hidden email]) [10.11.08 22:12]:

[nice explaination]

But every time I write to this list, I get two mails *personally*

One from:
 [hidden email]
with the BlahBlah you exspect from such an address.

And one stating that

 [hidden email]

permanent errors.

So I would recommend to remove those two mailaddresses from the list.

samson

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:45:41PM +0100, Sebastian G?nther wrote:
> But every time I write to this list, I get two mails *personally*
I'd like to thank you for actually taking the time to point out your
problems now, so I can fix them :-).

> One from:
>  [hidden email]
> with the BlahBlah you exspect from such an address.
Found and removed.

> And one stating that
>  [hidden email]
> permanent errors.
That address isn't subscribed to the list at all. Not even the domain
itself, and it seems that they didn't mail me from my last message (I
grepped my spam box).

Could you please pastebin the full headers and give me the link?

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 02:04:29PM -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> > And one stating that
> >  [hidden email]
> > permanent errors.
> That address isn't subscribed to the list at all. Not even the domain
> itself, and it seems that they didn't mail me from my last message (I
> grepped my spam box).
Ok, I got the error this time around. Their domain was slightly
different (airpoop.com), and their system was rejecting it because the
/var disk was full and procmail thus failed.

Removed now.