Web browsers crash when trying to print.

Web browsers crash when trying to print.

Dale-46
Howdy,

I first discovered this with Seamonkey.  I then tested this with Firefox
and got the same results.  When I go to File and select Print, the print
dialog window pops up for just a second and then the web browser
crashes.  Both seem to use the same print software.  I tried a different
version of Seamonkey but it does the same.  I also tested a fresh
profile of Seamonkey as well, Firefox also.  I don't print from Firefox
much.  Also, if I select Print Preview from the menu, it opens normally
but as soon as I click print, crash.

I then tried a newer unstable version of cups just in case it would
help.  After that, I opened Kwrite and tried to print.  Its print dialog
opened and waited for me to hit print.  LOo did the same.  However, both
of those use a different software or at least they look very different
to print with.

Usually going back a version or up a version fixes things like this.
Given that this didn't work in this case, I'm not sure where to go.  Two
versions of Seamonkey and Firefox both crash.  A newer version of cups
and it still crashes.  I did a search on BGO and didn't find anything
except for a fixed version of Chrome which I don't have on here.  I
suspect it uses different software to print anyway.  So no help there.
Forums had a thread that was from 2010.  It mentioned a USE flag which
cups doesn't even have anymore.  No solution on the forums.

One other thing that may or may not be related.  I did a emerge -e world
a week or so ago.  Before that, I could print fine.  The reason I did
that was because I switched to a new gcc and I just wanted to be sure
everything was stable.  I went from gcc-8 to gcc-9.  It may not have
been needed but it was cold here and I didn't mind the extra heat.
Plus, it sometimes fixes other quirks I may not even see.  Here is the
info for Seamonkey, Firefox and cups.

root@fireball / # emerge -p seamonkey firefox cups

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   #] www-client/seamonkey-2.49.9.1_p0::gentoo
USE="chatzilla dbus force-gtk3 gmp-autoupdate ipc jemalloc roaming
startup-notification system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg
system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite -calendar -crypt
-custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -jack -minimal (-neon)
-pulseaudio (-selinux) (-system-cairo) -test -wifi"
[ebuild   R   ~] www-client/firefox-72.0.2::gentoo  USE="gmp-autoupdate
screenshot startup-notification system-av1 system-icu system-jpeg
system-libevent system-sqlite system-webp -bindist -clang -custom-cflags
-custom-optimization -debug -eme-free -geckodriver -hardened -hwaccel
-jack -lto -pgo -pulseaudio (-selinux) -system-libvpx -test -wayland
-wifi" CPU_FLAGS_X86="-avx2"
[ebuild   R   ~] net-print/cups-2.3.1::gentoo  USE="X dbus pam ssl
threads zeroconf -acl -debug -kerberos -lprng-compat (-selinux)
-static-libs -systemd -usb -xinetd" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB

Total: 3 packages (3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
root@fireball / #

I try to set the safest USE flags I can.  I usually follow things I've
read on this list.  If someone thinks changing one will help, I'm
willing to test it.  I can always use my test profile that is blank
anyway.  That way there will be no data loss even in a worst case
scenario.

This is the gcc-config -l output.

root@fireball / # gcc-config -l
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-8.3.0
 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-9.2.0 *
root@fireball / #

If needed, I could also revert back to gcc-8.  It takes a while but it
is doable as a last resort.

I'm not sure if the printing is done within Seamonkey itself or if
Seamonkey and Firefox use some common external print software.  I'd
think the later since both behave the same way.  I'm just not sure.

Any ideas or thoughts??

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Re: Web browsers crash when trying to print.

Mick-10
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 04:54:21 GMT Dale wrote:

> [...]
> root@fireball / #
>

> I try to set the safest USE flags I can.  I usually follow things I've
> read on this list.  If someone thinks changing one will help, I'm
> willing to test it.  I can always use my test profile that is blank
> anyway.  That way there will be no data loss even in a worst case
> scenario.
>
> This is the gcc-config -l output.
>

> root@fireball / # gcc-config -l
>  [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-8.3.0
>  [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-9.2.0 *
> root@fireball / #
>

> If needed, I could also revert back to gcc-8.  It takes a while but it
> is doable as a last resort.
>
> I'm not sure if the printing is done within Seamonkey itself or if
> Seamonkey and Firefox use some common external print software.  I'd
> think the later since both behave the same way.  I'm just not sure.

I don't have seamonkey to know what it uses, but if it is sharing much with
the code base of Firefox, then it is probably using GDBus to communicate with
CUPS to print.

The GUI menu is probably using the Gtk3 widget kit by default, to draw buttons
and what not.

For a better idea launch seamonkey/firefox using a terminal and see what it
reports when you try to print.

Mick

Re: Web browsers crash when trying to print.

Nuno Silva
On 2020-02-15, Mick wrote:

> On Saturday, 15 February 2020 04:54:21 GMT Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I first discovered this with Seamonkey.  I then tested this with Firefox
>> and got the same results.  When I go to File and select Print, the print
>> dialog window pops up for just a second and then the web browser
>> crashes.  Both seem to use the same print software.  I tried a different
>> version of Seamonkey but it does the same.  I also tested a fresh
>> profile of Seamonkey as well, Firefox also.  I don't print from Firefox
>> much.  Also, if I select Print Preview from the menu, it opens normally
>> but as soon as I click print, crash.
>>
>> I then tried a newer unstable version of cups just in case it would
>> help.  After that, I opened Kwrite and tried to print.  Its print dialog
>> opened and waited for me to hit print.  LOo did the same.  However, both
>> of those use a different software or at least they look very different
>> to print with.
>>
>> Usually going back a version or up a version fixes things like this.
>> Given that this didn't work in this case, I'm not sure where to go.  Two
>> versions of Seamonkey and Firefox both crash.  A newer version of cups
>> and it still crashes.  I did a search on BGO and didn't find anything
>> except for a fixed version of Chrome which I don't have on here.  I
>> suspect it uses different software to print anyway.  So no help there.
>> Forums had a thread that was from 2010.  It mentioned a USE flag which
>> cups doesn't even have anymore.  No solution on the forums.
>>
>> One other thing that may or may not be related.  I did a emerge -e world
>> a week or so ago.  Before that, I could print fine.  The reason I did
>> that was because I switched to a new gcc and I just wanted to be sure
>> everything was stable.  I went from gcc-8 to gcc-9.  It may not have
>> been needed but it was cold here and I didn't mind the extra heat.
>> Plus, it sometimes fixes other quirks I may not even see.  Here is the
>> info for Seamonkey, Firefox and cups.
[...]
>> I'm not sure if the printing is done within Seamonkey itself or if
>> Seamonkey and Firefox use some common external print software.  I'd
>> think the later since both behave the same way.  I'm just not sure.
>>
>> Any ideas or thoughts??

Try getting a backtrace with gdb, and build involved packages with debug
symbols as needed to get a more detailed backtrace.

With the backtrace, you will at least have an idea of where it is
crashing.

If you need documentation on this, the following page is probably a good
place to start: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Debugging_with_GDB

--
Nuno Silva

Mick wrote:

> [...]
>> root@fireball / #
>>

>> If needed, I could also revert back to gcc-8.  It takes a while but it
>> is doable as a last resort.
>>
>> I'm not sure if the printing is done within Seamonkey itself or if
>> Seamonkey and Firefox use some common external print software.  I'd
>> think the later since both behave the same way.  I'm just not sure.
>>
>> Any ideas or thoughts??
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> I don't have seamonkey to know what it uses, but if it is sharing much with
> the code base of Firefox, then it is probably using GDBus to communicate with
> CUPS to print.
>
> The GUI menu is probably using the Gtk3 widget kit by default, to draw buttons
> and what not.
>
> For a better idea launch seamonkey/firefox using a terminal and see what it

Good catch.  I forgot that Mozilla stuff uses gtk.  This is what is in
the tree.

root@fireball / # equery list -p x11-libs/gtk+ x11-libs/gtk+
 * Searching for gtk+ in x11-libs ...
[IP-] [  ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.32-r1:2
[-P-] [  ] x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.10:3
[-P-] [  ] x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.11:3
[IP-] [  ] x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.13:3
root@fireball / #

Since there is only one version for gtk-2, I went back a version on
gtk-3, minor 11.  Now I can print.  Now to mask a buggy version of gtk-3.

One reason it was important to print, we have had floods here in my
area, again this year.  It doesn't affect me but it does my neighbors.
Anyway, I need to print the river data before it goes away.  The best
way to do that is to print it to a file.  Thing is, I only get about 36
to 48 hours to do that.  Now I got what I need.

Thanks much.  This helped not only me but some others as well, including
some people I don't even know the names of myself.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Re: Web browsers crash when trying to print.

Neil Bothwick

https://bugs.gentoo.org/707344

--
Neil Bothwick

I typed Format SER: and accidentally killed a telephone operator!

Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 12:01:36 -0600, Dale wrote:

root@fireball / # equery list -p x11-libs/gtk+ x11-libs/gtk+
 * Searching for gtk+ in x11-libs ...
[IP-] [  ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.32-r1:2
[-P-] [  ] x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.10:3
[-P-] [  ] x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.11:3
[IP-] [  ] x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.13:3
root@fireball / #

Since there is only one version for gtk-2, I went back a version on
gtk-3, minor 11.  Now I can print.  Now to mask a buggy version of
gtk-3.
https://bugs.gentoo.org/707344

You know, my google skills aren't to bad.  I can generally google, startpage actually, and find something related to what I'm looking for.  BGO however rarely works for me.  In this case I think it was my search terms tho.  I searched for Seamonkey or Firefox plus print.  Still, I sometimes wonder if searching that thing is worth the time given my past with that thing.  lol

At least I know it was reported.  I thought about it but other than one version working and one not, I didn't have much info to give.

Now to go work on this issue.

Andreas Sturmlechner wrote:
# Andreas Sturmlechner [hidden email] (2020-02-16)
# No more revdeps, abandoned upstream, depends on deprecated dev-qt/qtwebkit.
# Masked for removal in 30 days.
kde-misc/kwebkitpart

Seems I have to disable the webkit USE flag now.  I'll grep and see where that is set at.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)