What (free) remote desktop do you use

Helmut Jarausch
Hi,

some recent updates of X11, gtk++ or glib has broken the possibility to
use some gnome3 applications (like a recent balsa)
via nxclient.

Since NX3's internal X-server has some known deficiencies and Nomachine
has stopped the development of NX3 and
has closed sources of NX4, I am in need for some replacement since
'ssh -Y' is dead slow even on an 15 megabit/sec connection.

What remote desktop do you use?

Many thanks for your hints,
Helmut

Re: What (free) remote desktop do you use

Wang Xuerui
2013/8/15 Helmut Jarausch <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> some recent updates of X11, gtk++ or glib has broken the possibility to use
> some gnome3 applications (like a recent balsa)
> via nxclient.
>
> Since NX3's internal X-server has some known deficiencies and Nomachine has
> stopped the development of NX3 and
> has closed sources of NX4, I am in need for some replacement since   'ssh
> -Y' is dead slow even on an 15 megabit/sec connection.
>
> What remote desktop do you use?
>
> Many thanks for your hints,
> Helmut

Hello, you can try adding -C (enable gzip compression) to ssh
commandline first to see if the speed is acceptable. I once used it on
a 10Mbps LAN connection, and the decrease in bandwidth consumption is
impressive while not causing too much CPU load.

Re: What (free) remote desktop do you use

Nikos Chantziaras-2
On 15/08/13 11:26, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some recent updates of X11, gtk++ or glib has broken the possibility to
> use some gnome3 applications (like a recent balsa)
> via nxclient.
>
> Since NX3's internal X-server has some known deficiencies and Nomachine
> has stopped the development of NX3 and
> has closed sources of NX4, I am in need for some replacement since
> 'ssh -Y' is dead slow even on an 15 megabit/sec connection.
>
> What remote desktop do you use?

I've been using x2go for years. It's based on NX, so not sure if it will
exhibit the same problem.

Re: What (free) remote desktop do you use

Paul Hartman-3
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 4:20 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15/08/13 11:26, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> some recent updates of X11, gtk++ or glib has broken the possibility to
>> use some gnome3 applications (like a recent balsa)
>> via nxclient.
>>
>> Since NX3's internal X-server has some known deficiencies and Nomachine
>> has stopped the development of NX3 and
>> has closed sources of NX4, I am in need for some replacement since
>> 'ssh -Y' is dead slow even on an 15 megabit/sec connection.
>>
>> What remote desktop do you use?
>

> I've been using x2go for years. It's based on NX, so not sure if it will
> exhibit the same problem.

I also use x2go, but not gnome3 so I cannot speak to whether or not it
has issues with that specifically. NX has had issues for past couple
years with bad combinations of cairo + Xorg + NX libs causing weird
things like missing fonts in gtk+ apps and random crashing/stalling.
Latest version of x2go does not seem to suffer this problem, for now.

The official x2go-client is not as good compared to nxclient, in my
opinion, as far as managing connections and general look and feel and
behavior of the app, but once you're connected it works just the same.
I connect to my home computer from my mobile phone over 3G and the
speed is great, but too bad the screen is so small! :)

Re: What (free) remote desktop do you use

stroller-6

On 15 August 2013, at 09:26, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Since NX3's internal X-server has some known deficiencies and Nomachine has stopped the development of NX3 and
> has closed sources of NX4, I am in need for some replacement since   'ssh -Y' is dead slow even on an 15 megabit/sec connection.
>
> What remote desktop do you use?

Take a look at winswitch.org.

Upstream has ebuilds and it supports various compression options, including h264.

The developer is very helpful, responsive and committed.

Winswitch can be run headless on your server and as a systray app on your desktop.

Stroller.

Re: What (free) remote desktop do you use

Keith Dart ♂
Re , Helmut Jarausch said:
> What remote desktop do you use?

ssh. ;)