Where are the controller drivers?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Where are the controller drivers?

Wesley Krasko
Ok, so to start, I ran some decryption (perl script) tests for my college proffesor on a number of campus servers and my laptop (my laptop runs gentoo). Basically, my laptop doubled the speed of the fastest campus server, so my professor is very impressed and we believe it is partly due to Gentoo (vs Redhat on the campus Servers). So....he wants me to install Gentoo on one of the campus owned IA64 boxes to run some more tests. I came in to do this last night, but the IA64 Live CD would not recognize the scsi controller/drives. I thought perhaps it is not supported (LSI Logic/Symbios Logic 53c1010 66MHz Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (rev 01)) but found it odd that there were actually no controller drivers in /lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/
Can someone clarify if this controller can be used before I attempt an install again? Thanks.
--
Wes Krasko (aka [S@C].50, stopher, stoph, the stoph, stopherson, daho)
Fly Computer Dude Extraordinare
www.worldwidewes.com
AIM: taspapas
Latest Quote: "Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and then win by experience"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where are the controller drivers?

Aron Griffis-3
Wesley Krasko wrote:  [Tue Apr 18 2006, 08:55:03PM EDT]

> Ok, so to start, I ran some decryption (perl script) tests for my college
> proffesor on a number of campus servers and my laptop (my laptop runs gentoo).
> Basically, my laptop doubled the speed of the fastest campus server, so my
> professor is very impressed and we believe it is partly due to Gentoo (vs
> Redhat on the campus Servers). So....he wants me to install Gentoo on one of
> the campus owned IA64 boxes to run some more tests. I came in to do this last
> night, but the IA64 Live CD would not recognize the scsi controller/drives. I
> thought perhaps it is not supported (LSI Logic/Symbios Logic 53c1010 66MHz
> Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (rev 01)) but found it odd that there were actually no
> controller drivers in /lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/
> Can someone clarify if this controller can be used before I attempt an install
> again? Thanks.

Sure it should work.  If the driver is missing, that's a mistake on
our end.

Specifically what livecd are you trying?  What is the machine to which
you're attempting to install?  If you snoop /proc/config.gz after
booting the livecd, what does it say concerning your driver?

Thanks,
Aron
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where are the controller drivers?

Wesley Krasko
I have tried the minimal-ia64-gentoo-2006.0.iso and minimal-ia64-gentoo-2005.1.iso (the only iso's I could find, the first straight from the gentoo.org site)
The machine HP Workstation ZX2000
Everything except the scsi (LSI Logic/Symbios Logic 53c1010 66MHz Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (rev01) in lspci) comes up and works booting from the livecd.
snoop command is not found from the livecd
lsmod reports:
e1000
usb_storage

THanks



On 4/20/06, Aron Griffis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wesley Krasko wrote:  [Tue Apr 18 2006, 08:55:03PM EDT]

> Ok, so to start, I ran some decryption (perl script) tests for my college
> proffesor on a number of campus servers and my laptop (my laptop runs gentoo).
> Basically, my laptop doubled the speed of the fastest campus server, so my
> professor is very impressed and we believe it is partly due to Gentoo (vs
> Redhat on the campus Servers). So....he wants me to install Gentoo on one of
> the campus owned IA64 boxes to run some more tests. I came in to do this last
> night, but the IA64 Live CD would not recognize the scsi controller/drives. I
> thought perhaps it is not supported (LSI Logic/Symbios Logic 53c1010 66MHz
> Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (rev 01)) but found it odd that there were actually no
> controller drivers in /lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/
> Can someone clarify if this controller can be used before I attempt an install
> again? Thanks.

Sure it should work.  If the driver is missing, that's a mistake on
our end.

Specifically what livecd are you trying?  What is the machine to which
you're attempting to install?  If you snoop /proc/config.gz after
booting the livecd, what does it say concerning your driver?

Thanks,
Aron
--
[hidden email] mailing list




--
Wes Krasko (aka [S@C].50, stopher, stoph, the stoph, stopherson, daho)
Fly Computer Dude Extraordinare
www.worldwidewes.com
AIM: taspapas
Latest Quote: "Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and then win by experience"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: Where are the controller drivers?

Guillaume Baudot
In reply to this post by Wesley Krasko
Hi there.

I'm not sure it's gonna help U, but for what I remember, I never managed to boot from a gentoo ia64 CD, but it was long ago now... (about 2 years !)

When I made my install, I had to download and install a Debian (the only one CD I managed to boot with !), and after that, install gentoo in a chrooted env...

Maybe you could try having a similar approach if you got time to spend and enough disk space :)

However, good luck with your install :)

Loading...