Wiki-viewer anyone?

tuxic
Hi,

The u8g8lib, which contains libraries to drive a great amount of
displays for mainly embedded electronics has a wiki on github, which
can be oficially git-pulled as a local copy...which I did.

Now I have tons of *.md (markdown) -files instead of html and I
dont know of any handy viewer for these.

 Since I want to update the repo from time to time
I dont want to convert them.

Is there any recommended quick and clean way to view these files on the fly as
they would be html?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
Cheers
Meino

Re: Wiki-viewer anyone?

Andrew Tselischev-2
On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 07:07:04PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The u8g8lib, which contains libraries to drive a great amount of
> displays for mainly embedded electronics has a wiki on github, which
> can be oficially git-pulled as a local copy...which I did.
>
> Now I have tons of *.md (markdown) -files instead of html and I
> dont know of any handy viewer for these.
>
>  Since I want to update the repo from time to time
> I dont want to convert them.
>
> Is there any recommended quick and clean way to view these files on the fly as
> they would be html?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
> Cheers
> Meino

Markdown is a markup language that was specifically designed to be readable in the source.

However, if you still find it hard to read, perhaps syntax highlighting in a fancy
text editor can help approximate the intended effects of the markup.

Also, there are markdown-to-HTML translators. Some are even included in portage tree.

Re: Wiki-viewer anyone?

tuxic
On 10/06 05:49, Andrew Tselischev wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 07:07:04PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The u8g8lib, which contains libraries to drive a great amount of
> > displays for mainly embedded electronics has a wiki on github, which
> > can be oficially git-pulled as a local copy...which I did.
> >
> > Now I have tons of *.md (markdown) -files instead of html and I
> > dont know of any handy viewer for these.
> >
> >  Since I want to update the repo from time to time
> > I dont want to convert them.
> >
> > Is there any recommended quick and clean way to view these files on the fly as
> > they would be html?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
> > Cheers
> > Meino
> >

> Markdown is a markup language that was specifically designed to be readable in the source.
>
> However, if you still find it hard to read, perhaps syntax highlighting in a fancy
> text editor can help approximate the intended effects of the markup.
>
> Also, there are markdown-to-HTML translators. Some are even included in portage tree.

I dont want to convert the md-files to html, since I want to update
the repo later (see above).
The problem are files referencing other files. Reading the md-files
via vim (for example) would imply to grab all references by hand.
Fortheremore, tne docs are filled with graphics (for example images
of the fonts, which can be used), which cannot be displayed with an
ASCII-editor.
Formatting is necassary with this docs...

Re: Wiki-viewer anyone?

R0b0t1
On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/06 05:49, Andrew Tselischev wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 07:07:04PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The u8g8lib, which contains libraries to drive a great amount of
>> > displays for mainly embedded electronics has a wiki on github, which
>> > can be oficially git-pulled as a local copy...which I did.
>> >
>> > Now I have tons of *.md (markdown) -files instead of html and I
>> > dont know of any handy viewer for these.
>> >
>> >  Since I want to update the repo from time to time
>> > I dont want to convert them.
>> >
>> > Is there any recommended quick and clean way to view these files on the fly as
>> > they would be html?
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
>> > Cheers
>> > Meino
>> >

>> Markdown is a markup language that was specifically designed to be readable in the source.
>>
>> However, if you still find it hard to read, perhaps syntax highlighting in a fancy
>> text editor can help approximate the intended effects of the markup.
>>
>> Also, there are markdown-to-HTML translators. Some are even included in portage tree.
>>

> I dont want to convert the md-files to html, since I want to update
> the repo later (see above).
> The problem are files referencing other files. Reading the md-files
> via vim (for example) would imply to grab all references by hand.
> Fortheremore, tne docs are filled with graphics (for example images
> of the fonts, which can be used), which cannot be displayed with an
> ASCII-editor.
> Formatting is necassary with this docs...

Typically what is done is you render the whole Wiki to HTML, and then
view it in a browser. You don't edit the HTML directly. It should be
possible to generate it incrementally.

The one catch is that they might be relying on GitHub's integrated
Wiki system. If they are, you might need to install Gollum to process
the markdown files to HTML.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1

Re: Wiki-viewer anyone?

Anton Molyboha
On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 6:49 PM, R0b0t1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 10/06 05:49, Andrew Tselischev wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 07:07:04PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The u8g8lib, which contains libraries to drive a great amount of
>> > displays for mainly embedded electronics has a wiki on github, which
>> > can be oficially git-pulled as a local copy...which I did.
>> >
>> > Now I have tons of *.md (markdown) -files instead of html and I
>> > dont know of any handy viewer for these.
>> >
>> >  Since I want to update the repo from time to time
>> > I dont want to convert them.
>> >
>> > Is there any recommended quick and clean way to view these files on the fly as
>> > they would be html?
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
>> > Cheers
>> > Meino
>> >

>> Markdown is a markup language that was specifically designed to be readable in the source.
>>
>> However, if you still find it hard to read, perhaps syntax highlighting in a fancy
>> text editor can help approximate the intended effects of the markup.
>>
>> Also, there are markdown-to-HTML translators. Some are even included in portage tree.
>>

> I dont want to convert the md-files to html, since I want to update
> the repo later (see above).
> The problem are files referencing other files. Reading the md-files
> via vim (for example) would imply to grab all references by hand.
> Fortheremore, tne docs are filled with graphics (for example images
> of the fonts, which can be used), which cannot be displayed with an
> ASCII-editor.
> Formatting is necassary with this docs...

Typically what is done is you render the whole Wiki to HTML, and then
view it in a browser. You don't edit the HTML directly. It should be
possible to generate it incrementally.

The one catch is that they might be relying on GitHub's integrated
Wiki system. If they are, you might need to install Gollum to process
the markdown files to HTML.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1

This is a definite overkill, but I'm using JetBrains' IntelliJ Idea (actually PyCharm) with the markdown plugin. It shows markdown and html side-to-side in the editor.

Anton

Re: Wiki-viewer anyone?

Randolph Maaßen
You might be interested in got hooks [1], especially the post-checkout hook.

I would try to automatically recompile the md-> HTML on every checkout, so the HTML is up to date after pulling

[1] https://git-scm.com/book/gr/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks

Am Sa., 7. Okt. 2017, 00:58 schrieb Anton Molyboha <[hidden email]>:
On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 6:49 PM, R0b0t1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 10/06 05:49, Andrew Tselischev wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 07:07:04PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The u8g8lib, which contains libraries to drive a great amount of
>> > displays for mainly embedded electronics has a wiki on github, which
>> > can be oficially git-pulled as a local copy...which I did.
>> >
>> > Now I have tons of *.md (markdown) -files instead of html and I
>> > dont know of any handy viewer for these.
>> >
>> >  Since I want to update the repo from time to time
>> > I dont want to convert them.
>> >
>> > Is there any recommended quick and clean way to view these files on the fly as
>> > they would be html?
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
>> > Cheers
>> > Meino
>> >

>> Markdown is a markup language that was specifically designed to be readable in the source.
>>
>> However, if you still find it hard to read, perhaps syntax highlighting in a fancy
>> text editor can help approximate the intended effects of the markup.
>>
>> Also, there are markdown-to-HTML translators. Some are even included in portage tree.
>>

> I dont want to convert the md-files to html, since I want to update
> the repo later (see above).
> The problem are files referencing other files. Reading the md-files
> via vim (for example) would imply to grab all references by hand.
> Fortheremore, tne docs are filled with graphics (for example images
> of the fonts, which can be used), which cannot be displayed with an
> ASCII-editor.
> Formatting is necassary with this docs...

Typically what is done is you render the whole Wiki to HTML, and then
view it in a browser. You don't edit the HTML directly. It should be
possible to generate it incrementally.

The one catch is that they might be relying on GitHub's integrated
Wiki system. If they are, you might need to install Gollum to process
the markdown files to HTML.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1

This is a definite overkill, but I'm using JetBrains' IntelliJ Idea (actually PyCharm) with the markdown plugin. It shows markdown and html side-to-side in the editor.

Anton

Re: Wiki-viewer anyone?

tuxic
On 10/06 11:06, Randolph Maaßen wrote:

> You might be interested in got hooks [1], especially the post-checkout hook.
>
> I would try to automatically recompile the md-> HTML on every checkout, so
> the HTML is up to date after pulling
>
> [1] https://git-scm.com/book/gr/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks
>
> Am Sa., 7. Okt. 2017, 00:58 schrieb Anton Molyboha <
> [hidden email]>:

> >> the fly as

> >> readable in the source.

> >> highlighting in a fancy

> >> in portage tree.

> >> Typically what is done is you render the whole Wiki to HTML, and then
> >> view it in a browser. You don't edit the HTML directly. It should be
> >> possible to generate it incrementally.
> >>
> >> The one catch is that they might be relying on GitHub's integrated
> >> Wiki system. If they are, you might need to install Gollum to process
> >> the markdown files to HTML.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>      R0b0t1
> >>

> > This is a definite overkill, but I'm using JetBrains' IntelliJ Idea
> > (actually PyCharm) with the markdown plugin. It shows markdown and html
> > side-to-side in the editor.
> >
> > Anton

Hello all,

thanks a lot for all the reponses to my question.

I found a Firefox-Plugin, which is able to render
markdown on the fly. It is here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/markdown-viewer-webext/?src=search

Despite the comment of one user, it DOES display local markdown
formatted files...just with a small little delay...

Cheers
Meino

Re: Wiki-viewer anyone?

Neil Bothwick
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 00:41:26 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> I dont want to convert the md-files to html, since I want to update
> the repo later (see above).
> The problem are files referencing other files. Reading the md-files
> via vim (for example) would imply to grab all references by hand.
> Fortheremore, tne docs are filled with graphics (for example images
> of the fonts, which can be used), which cannot be displayed with an
> ASCII-editor.
> Formatting is necassary with this docs...

I see nothing wrong with generating HTML versions, as long as you don't
mind doing so after each time you update (you cold use a scriot to do
both for you). But if you really want to to work directly with the md
files, this may work for you https://github.com/joeyespo/grip

--
Neil Bothwick

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large

Re: Wiki-viewer anyone?

tuxic
On 10/07 08:19, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 00:41:26 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > I dont want to convert the md-files to html, since I want to update
> > the repo later (see above).
> > The problem are files referencing other files. Reading the md-files
> > via vim (for example) would imply to grab all references by hand.
> > Fortheremore, tne docs are filled with graphics (for example images
> > of the fonts, which can be used), which cannot be displayed with an
> > ASCII-editor.
> > Formatting is necassary with this docs...
>
> I see nothing wrong with generating HTML versions, as long as you don't
> mind doing so after each time you update (you cold use a scriot to do
> both for you). But if you really want to to work directly with the md
> files, this may work for you https://github.com/joeyespo/grip
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large
> number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Hi Neil,

thanks for the info and the link.

I tried it. Unfortunately grip failed with an error.
Dont have the time to dive for it ...

Cheers
Meino