Windows NT4 on KVM+QEMU extremely slow...

Windows NT4 on KVM+QEMU extremely slow...

Vinícius Ferrão-2
Hello dudes,

I'm running Windows NT 4 Terminal Server on QEMU and the performance is too slow; I don't even know how to debug it and I even don't if this is normal or not.

On VMWare Player the performance was much better. And this isn't a migration. I've reinstalled the NT4 from the ground.

Anyway; i'm launching the VM with this arguments:
kvm -m 128m -name WinNT4TS -drive file=winnt4ts.raw -cdrom Windows\ NT\ 4\ Terminal\ Server\ Image/WINNT-TSE40.iso -net nic,model=ne2k_pci,macaddr=00:0c:29:74:fa:b4 -net tap -vga std -cpu pentium,level=1 -smp 1 -no-acpi -no-hpet -no-kvm -boot c -vnc none -daemonize

Thanks in advance,

Vinícius Ferrão: Administrador de Sistemas
www.ferrao.eti.br | +55 (21) 8888-2619

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Windows NT4 on KVM+QEMU extremely slow...

Robert Bridge
Hi Vinícius,

The first thing that springs to mind to check is have you got hardware
virtualisation enabled? I notice your launch command includes -no-kvm
as an argument - doesn't that disable kvm and result in a fallback to
qemu? Try running with kvm enabled and I suspect your performance will
be approximately 10x better.

Just a couple of thoughts,
RobbieAB

On 17 April 2013 20:34, Vinícius Ferrão <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello dudes,
>
> I'm running Windows NT 4 Terminal Server on QEMU and the performance is too
> slow; I don't even know how to debug it and I even don't if this is normal
> or not.
>
> On VMWare Player the performance was much better. And this isn't a
> migration. I've reinstalled the NT4 from the ground.
>
> Anyway; i'm launching the VM with this arguments:
> kvm -m 128m -name WinNT4TS -drive file=winnt4ts.raw -cdrom Windows\ NT\ 4\
> Terminal\ Server\ Image/WINNT-TSE40.iso -net
> nic,model=ne2k_pci,macaddr=00:0c:29:74:fa:b4 -net tap -vga std -cpu
> pentium,level=1 -smp 1 -no-acpi -no-hpet -no-kvm -boot c -vnc none
> -daemonize
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Vinícius Ferrão: Administrador de Sistemas
> www.ferrao.eti.br | +55 (21) 8888-2619

Re: Windows NT4 on KVM+QEMU extremely slow...

Hinnerk van Bruinehsen-2
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 07:34:00PM +0000, Vinícius Ferrão wrote:
> Hello dudes,
>
> I'm running Windows NT 4 Terminal Server on QEMU and the performance is too slow; I don't even know how to debug it and I even don't if this is normal or not.
>
> On VMWare Player the performance was much better. And this isn't a migration. I've reinstalled the NT4 from the ground.
>
> Anyway; i'm launching the VM with this arguments:
> kvm -m 128m -name WinNT4TS -drive file=winnt4ts.raw -cdrom Windows\ NT\ 4\ Terminal\ Server\ Image/WINNT-TSE40.iso -net nic,model=ne2k_pci,macaddr=00:0c:29:74:fa:b4 -net tap -vga std -cpu pentium,level=1 -smp 1 -no-acpi -no-hpet -no-kvm -boot c -vnc none -daemonize

Hi,

iirc the commandline switch --no-kvm disables kvm (so it'S just software
emulated qemu). You disable hardware virtualization accerleration with
it.

Other than that: more than 128 MB ram will most likely also help to
speed things up.

WKR
Hinnerk

Re: Windows NT4 on KVM+QEMU extremely slow...

Vinícius Ferrão-2
Hello dudes,

Thanks for the replies.

But I've read somewhere that -no-kvm should be enabled in order to run NT4 Properly.

Anyway, I removed the flag and nothing really happened. It's still slow. It's usable, but slow. VMWare was much faster.

And about the RAM issue. It's Windows NT4. I don't think more is necessary. The machine boots consuming only 30MB. And about the slowness of the system is during CPU intensive operations.

Anything else to try dudes?

Thanks,

Vinícius Ferrão: Administrador de Sistemas
www.ferrao.eti.br | +55 (21) 8888-2619

On Apr 17, 2013, at 5:54 PM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

[...]

Are you sure your hardware virt isn't disabled in the BIOS? It is, in
my experience, the one BIOS setting the linux kernel doesn't/can't
over-ride.

Cheers,
RobbieAB

On 18 April 2013 01:35, Vinícius Ferrão <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello dudes,
>
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> But I've read somewhere that -no-kvm should be enabled in order to run NT4
> Properly.
>
> Anyway, I removed the flag and nothing really happened. It's still slow.
> It's usable, but slow. VMWare was much faster.
>
> And about the RAM issue. It's Windows NT4. I don't think more is necessary.
> The machine boots consuming only 30MB. And about the slowness of the system
> is during CPU intensive operations.
>
> Anything else to try dudes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vinícius Ferrão: Administrador de Sistemas
> www.ferrao.eti.br | +55 (21) 8888-2619
>
> On Apr 17, 2013, at 5:54 PM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
> <[hidden email]>
>  wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 07:34:00PM +0000, Vinícius Ferrão wrote:
>
> Hello dudes,
>
> I'm running Windows NT 4 Terminal Server on QEMU and the performance is too
> slow; I don't even know how to debug it and I even don't if this is normal
> or not.
>
> On VMWare Player the performance was much better. And this isn't a
> migration. I've reinstalled the NT4 from the ground.
>
> Anyway; i'm launching the VM with this arguments:
> kvm -m 128m -name WinNT4TS -drive file=winnt4ts.raw -cdrom Windows\ NT\ 4\
> Terminal\ Server\ Image/WINNT-TSE40.iso -net
> nic,model=ne2k_pci,macaddr=00:0c:29:74:fa:b4 -net tap -vga std -cpu
> pentium,level=1 -smp 1 -no-acpi -no-hpet -no-kvm -boot c -vnc none
> -daemonize
>

> Hi,
>
> iirc the commandline switch --no-kvm disables kvm (so it'S just software
> emulated qemu). You disable hardware virtualization accerleration with
> it.
>
> Other than that: more than 128 MB ram will most likely also help to
> speed things up.
>
> WKR
> Hinnerk

Re: Windows NT4 on KVM+QEMU extremely slow...

Vinícius Ferrão-2
KVM is enabled in BIOS too.

I doubled checked it. Disabled and even got a message saying the KVM is not available when Disabled in BIOS….

Thanks,

Vinícius Ferrão: Administrador de Sistemas
www.ferrao.eti.br | +55 (21) 8888-2619

wrote:

[...]

Preston Hagar

www.ferrao.eti.br | <a href="tel:%2B55%20%2821%29%208888-2619" value="+552188882619" target="_blank">+55 (21) 8888-2619

wrote:

[...]

You might try setting cache=writeback.  To do so, after the

file=winnt4ts.raw

make it

file=winnt4ts.raw,cache=writeback

It made a big difference for me with the MS Server 2003 I run with KVM.  For reference, here is the kvm command that is run for my Win server 2003 VM (I migrated it from VMWare to KVM and now get the same or slightly better performance):

/usr/bin/kvm -S -M pc-1.0 -cpu qemu64,-svm -enable-kvm -m 2048 -smp 1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -name antitrust -uuid 564dbb65-75b3-74bd-7252-d9749ee2697d -nodefconfig -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/antitrust.monitor,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=localtime -no-shutdown -boot c -drive file=/var/data/vm/kvm/antitrust.img,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk0,format=raw,cache=writeback -device virtio-blk-pci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5,drive=drive-virtio-disk0,id=virtio-disk0 -drive file=/var/data/vm/kvm/virtio-win-0.1-52.iso,if=none,media=cdrom,id=drive-ide0-1-0,readonly=on,format=raw -device ide-drive,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0-1-0,id=ide0-1-0 -netdev tap,fd=18,id=hostnet0 -device e1000,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=00:0c:29:e2:69:7d,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3 -chardev pty,id=charserial0 -device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 -chardev pty,id=charparallel0 -device isa-parallel,chardev=charparallel0,id=parallel0 -usb -device usb-mouse,id=input0 -vnc 127.0.0.1:2 -vga vmware -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4