X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini?

Mark Knecht
Hi,
   Are there any known issues setting up X with xorgconfig on a older
Mac Mini? I've done it more or less like I do on my x86 machines. I
can use startx and see things (xterm, xclock, etc.) in 'top' but I
only get a black screen. There are no error messages in the X log
file. I've tried two monitors. Same results on both.

   In make.cong I've got VIDEO_CARDS="radeon fbdev".

   What about hal? Is that only x86?

   Maybe someone with a similar first round Mac Mini has a known-good
config file?

   I'm really a noob on this platform, but have used Gentoo for quite
awhile. I'm not sure what info to provide so let me know what you need
and I'll get it quickly.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini?

Ajai Khattri-2
On Fri, 22 May 2009, Mark Knecht wrote:

>   Are there any known issues setting up X with xorgconfig on a older
> Mac Mini? I've done it more or less like I do on my x86 machines. I
> can use startx and see things (xterm, xclock, etc.) in 'top' but I
> only get a black screen. There are no error messages in the X log
> file. I've tried two monitors. Same results on both.
>
>   In make.cong I've got VIDEO_CARDS="radeon fbdev".
>
>   What about hal? Is that only x86?
>
>   Maybe someone with a similar first round Mac Mini has a known-good
> config file?
>
>   I'm really a noob on this platform, but have used Gentoo for quite
> awhile. I'm not sure what info to provide so let me know what you need
> and I'll get it quickly.

I have a similar problem.

I did have XFCE running quite happily on an old G3 (Blue&White) PowerMac,
but the recent X server upgrades have borked that up completely. Ive
followed the upgrade guides without getting anywhere. Im looking for a X
config file too.

Doesn't seem to be much traffic on this list though...

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:58 AM, Ajai Khattri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 2009, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>  Are there any known issues setting up X with xorgconfig on a older
>> Mac Mini? I've done it more or less like I do on my x86 machines. I
>> can use startx and see things (xterm, xclock, etc.) in 'top' but I
>> only get a black screen. There are no error messages in the X log
>> file. I've tried two monitors. Same results on both.
>>
>>  In make.cong I've got VIDEO_CARDS="radeon fbdev".
>>
>>  What about hal? Is that only x86?
>>
>>  Maybe someone with a similar first round Mac Mini has a known-good
>> config file?
>>
>>  I'm really a noob on this platform, but have used Gentoo for quite
>> awhile. I'm not sure what info to provide so let me know what you need
>> and I'll get it quickly.
>
> I have a similar problem.
>
> I did have XFCE running quite happily on an old G3 (Blue&White) PowerMac,
> but the recent X server upgrades have borked that up completely. Ive
> followed the upgrade guides without getting anywhere. Im looking for a X
> config file too.
>
> Doesn't seem to be much traffic on this list though...

No, this list is pretty dead. I Was shocked when I looked at the
archives how little traffic there had been.

I got past my problems without really needing X. My Mac Mini is now
acting as a headless backend MythTV server. I don't need or even want
X on that machine. When I posted my question I was in the process of
debug and could have used it then but it wasn't to be.

None the less it would be good to figure out what's wrong with X on
the Mac Mini and get it working for your needs.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini?

mattmatteh-2

there are still ppc users!

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Doesn't seem to be much traffic on this list though...
>>
>> No, this list is pretty dead. I Was shocked when I looked at the
>> archives how little traffic there had been.
>
> there are still ppc users!

Yes! But if we don't create traffic we give the impression there aren't any.

I don't expect this list to be as active as gentoo-users, but still,
let's talk once in awhile!

- Mark

Re: X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini?

Wolfram Kahl

I have gentoo running on two PowerMac G5s,
and have xorg-server-1.5 now mostly working.
I have two monitors on each machine --- if you have only one,
your xorg.conf could be much simpler (perhaps even removed?).
After figuring things out, I must admit that the dual-monitor set-up
using xrandr got much easier --- I never had time to get the
second monitor here connected (it is different from home),
and with the new scheme, I just transferred the essentials of the setup
from home and it worked.

I attach file for the machine I am at right now;
I believe the two remaining ``InputDevice'' lines in ``ServerLayout''
should really be removed, too.

The ``Virtual'' is only needed for xrandr (i.e., multiple monotors, or if
you want to rotate your single monitor).

Wolfram

xorg.conf (3K) Download Attachment

Re: X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini?

Mounir Lamouri-2
If it can help, my xorg.conf and hal file (for keyboard) from my
Powerbook G4.

Mounir

[hidden email] wrote:

> I have gentoo running on two PowerMac G5s,
> and have xorg-server-1.5 now mostly working.
> I have two monitors on each machine --- if you have only one,
> your xorg.conf could be much simpler (perhaps even removed?).
> After figuring things out, I must admit that the dual-monitor set-up
> using xrandr got much easier --- I never had time to get the
> second monitor here connected (it is different from home),
> and with the new scheme, I just transferred the essentials of the setup
> from home and it worked.
>
> I attach file for the machine I am at right now;
> I believe the two remaining ``InputDevice'' lines in ``ServerLayout''
> should really be removed, too.
>
> The ``Virtual'' is only needed for xrandr (i.e., multiple monotors, or if
> you want to rotate your single monitor).
>

> Wolfram

# $XdotOrg$
#
# Copyright (c) 1994-1998 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.
#
# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
# copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
# to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
# the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
# and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
# Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
#
# The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
# THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
# SOFTWARE.
#
# Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project shall
# not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
# dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from the
# XFree86 Project.
#
# $XConsortium: XF86Conf.cpp /main/22 1996/10/23 11:43:51 kaleb $

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
# **********************************************************************
Section "Files"

# TODO: removed because of xorg 1.5
#    RgbPath "/usr/share/X11/rgb"

    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath  "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
    FontPath  "/usr/share/fonts/freefonts"
    FontPath  "/usr/share/fonts/terminus"
    FontPath  "/usr/share/fonts/dejavu"
    FontPath  "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera"
    FontPath  "/usr/share/fonts/unifont"
    FontPath  "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath  "/usr/share/fonts/intlfonts"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/arphicfonts"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/baekmuk-fonts"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Module section -- this is an optional section which is used to specify
# which run-time loadable modules to load when the X server starts up.
# **********************************************************************

Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.
    Load "dbe"
    Load "dri"
    Load "glx"

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.

    SubSection "extmod"
        Option "omit xfree86-dga"
    EndSubSection

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules

    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section.  This contains various server-wide Options.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"

# Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot where a signal is
# received.  This may leave the console in an unusable state, but may
# provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid in debugging

#    Option "NoTrapSignals"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><Fn> VT switch sequence
# (where n is 1 through 12).  This allows clients to receive these key
# events.

#    Option "DontVTSwitch"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server abort sequence
# This allows clients to receive this key event.

#    Option "DontZap"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> mode switching
# sequences.  This allows clients to receive these key events.

#    Option "DontZoom"

# Uncomment this to disable tuning with the xvidtune client. With
# it the client can still run and fetch card and monitor attributes,
# but it will not be allowed to change them. If it tries it will
# receive a protocol error.

#    Option "DisableVidModeExtension"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local xvidtune client.

#    Option "AllowNonLocalXvidtune"

# Uncomment this to disable dynamically modifying the input device
# (mouse and keyboard) settings.

#    Option "DisableModInDev"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local client to
# change the keyboard or mouse settings (currently only xset).

#    Option "AllowNonLocalModInDev"

# Set the basic blanking screen saver timeout.

    Option "blank time" "10" # 10 minutes

# Set the DPMS timeouts.  These are set here because they are global
# rather than screen-specific.  These settings alone don't enable DPMS.
# It is enabled per-screen (or per-monitor), and even then only when
# the driver supports it.

    Option "standby time" "20"
    Option "suspend time" "30"
    Option "off time" "60"

# On some platform the server needs to estimate the sizes of PCI
# memory and pio ranges. This is done by assuming that PCI ranges
# don't overlap. Some broken BIOSes tend to set ranges of inactive
# devices wrong. Here one can adjust how aggressive the assumptions
# should be. Default is 0.

# Option   "EstimateSizesAggresively" "0"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Input devices
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Core keyboard's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "keyboard"

    Option      "XkbModel"    "pc105"
    Option      "XkbLayout"   "dvorak,fr"
    Option      "XkbOptions"  "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"

    Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "Auto"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons"      "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Touchpad"
    Driver      "synaptics"
    Option      "CorePointer"
    Option      "SendCoreEvents"       "true"
    Option      "Device"               "/dev/input/appletouch"
    Option      "Protocol"             "auto-dev"

    Option      "LeftEdge"          "0"
    Option      "RightEdge"         "950"
    Option      "TopEdge"           "0"
    Option      "BottomEdge"        "400"

    Option      "FingerLow"        "5"
    Option      "FingerHigh"        "20"
    Option      "MaxTapTime"        "180"
    Option      "MaxTapMove"        "100"
    Option      "MaxDoubleTapTime"    "180"
    Option      "ClickTime"        "100"
    Option      "FastTaps"        "0"
    Option      "VertScrollDelta"    "30"
    Option      "HorizScrollDelta"    "30"

    # What's that ?
    Option      "EdgeMotionMinZ"    "30"
    Option      "EdgeMotionMaxZ"    "160"
    Option      "EdgeMotionMinSpeed"    "200"
    Option      "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed"    "200"
    Option      "EdgeMotionUseAlways"    "false"

    Option      "MinSpeed"        "0.3" #"0.30" #"0.5"
    Option      "MaxSpeed"        "1.3" #"1.10" #"2.0"
    Option      "AccelFactor"     "0.03"  #  "0.030" #"0.12"
    Option      "LockedDrags"        "false"
    Option      "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "1"
    Option      "VertTwoFingerScroll" "1"

    Option      "TwoFingerButton1"  "2" # this option comes from a synaptic patch. Actually, it looks like 2 and 3 bouttons has been switched. It RIGHT one.
    Option      "TapButton3"        "2" # MIDDLE button

    Option      "RTCornerButton"    "0"
    Option      "RBCornerButton"    "0"
    Option      "LTCornerButton"    "0"
    Option      "LBCornerButton"    "0"
    Option      "TapButton1"        "0"
    Option      "TapButton2"        "0"
    Option      "CircularScrolling"    "1"
    Option      "CircScrollDelta"    "0.1"
    Option      "CircScrollTrigger"    "1"
    Option      "PalmDetect"        "false"    # not supported
    Option      "CoastingSpeed"        "1"
    Option      "SHMConfig"        "on"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"

    HorizSync 30-57
    VertRefresh 43-72
    Option "DPMS"

    DisplaySize 243.8 182.8
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Device"
    Identifier "GForce FX 5200"

    Driver "nv"
                #Driver "nouveau"

# The chipset line is optional in most cases.  It can be used to override
# the driver's chipset detection, and should not normally be specified.

#    Chipset "generic"

# Various other lines can be specified to override the driver's automatic
# detection code.  In most cases they are not needed.

#    VideoRam 256
#    Clocks 25.2 28.3

# The BusID line is used to specify which of possibly multiple devices
# this section is intended for.  When this line isn't present, a device
# section can only match up with the primary video device.  For PCI
# devices a line like the following could be used.  This line should not
# normally be included unless there is more than one video device
# intalled.

#    BusID "PCI:0:10:0"

# Various option lines can be added here as required.  Some options
# are more appropriate in Screen sections, Display subsections or even
# Monitor sections.

#    Option "hw cursor" "off"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections.
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of screen sections may be present.  Each describes
# the configuration of a single screen.  A single specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
# option.

Section "Screen"

# The Identifier, Device and Monitor lines must be present

    Identifier "Screen 1"
    Device "GForce FX 5200"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"

# The favoured Depth and/or Bpp may be specified here

    DefaultDepth 24

    SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
                                Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection

    SubSection "Display"
                        Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768"
                        EndSubSection

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# ServerLayout sections.
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of ServerLayout sections may be present.  Each describes
# the way multiple screens are organised.  A specific ServerLayout
# section may be specified from the X server command line with the
# "-layout" option.  In the absence of this, the first section is used.
# When now ServerLayout section is present, the first Screen section
# is used alone.

Section "ServerLayout"

# The Identifier line must be present

    Identifier "Main Layout"

# Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
# the relative position of other screens.  The four names after
# primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and right
# of the primary screen.  In this example, screen 2 is located to the
# right of screen 1.

    Screen "Screen1"
#    Screen "Screen MGA 1" "" "" "" "Screen MGA 2"
#    Screen "Screen MGA 2" "" "" "Screen MGA 1" ""

# Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
# optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
# used.  Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
# "SendCoreEvents".  In this example, "Mouse1" is the core pointer,
# and "Mouse2" is an extended input device that also generates core
# pointer events (i.e., both mice will move the standard pointer).

    InputDevice "Mouse1"
    InputDevice "Touchpad"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode 0666
EndSection

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
        <device>
                <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keymap">
                        <append key="info.callouts.add" type="strlist">hal-setup-keymap</append>
                </match>

                <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
                        <merge key="input.xkb.rules" type="string">base</merge>
                        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evdev</merge>
                        <!-- meaning of CMD key ? -->
                        <!-- <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">pc105</merge> -->
                        <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">dvorak</merge>
                        <merge key="input.xkb.variant" type="string"/>
                        <!-- <merge key="input.xkb.options" type="string">grp:shifts_toggle</merge> -->
                </match>
        </device>
</deviceinfo>

long start-up while wlan0 is enabled

Jaroslaw Michalski
Hi
I have Gentoo installed on my Powerbook for a while.
I had many problems as I'm not very experienced linux user. But I really like Gentoo.
One of my latest problem is long start-up while my wlan0 is active.
I've got 2 net cards (eth0 and wlan0). Both seem to work OK. Most of the time I use wlan0.
When system is booting and it's just about the login procedure there's a long delay. I just need to wait about 30 secs before I can log in. Similar problem is when I try to start X (startx command). And yet again it appears when I start the browser (seamonkey) - then I have to wait about a minute or longer. But when I disable the network (wlan0, eth0 is usually inactive) the problems disappears.
I've tried many ways to resolve it. I've emerged portmap thinking it can halp - no succes.
Can anybody halp?
Regards
JM

GET FREE SMILEYS FOR YOUR IM & EMAIL - Learn more at http://www.inbox.com/smileys
Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google Talk™ and most webmails