Xorg installation

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails

Don Wilburn
 >assuming your doing the install in the chroot environment?
Yes.  The clock is right too.  (A flaky year seems to be a factory
defect, but I digress...)

 >are you able to emerge any other sources?  e.g. vanilla-sources?
No.  I had tried gentoo-sources this morning from clean reinstall
attempt.  That failed, so I emailed this list.  After the response, I
tried emerge vanilla-sources.  Same result.  Then I tried emerge -tav
vanilla-sources.
This put a lot of messages in the log.  It ended with:
--/usr/srce/linux-3.7.10/arch/m68k/kernel/
 >>>Failed to install sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.7.10, ...
Same result.

I looked at the log and there were one or two arches above m68k, but
nothing after.  There was no arch/alpha, or even x86.  Looks suspicious.
  Bad kernel source archive?

Adios,  DW

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails

Brian Parkhurst
I'm running an emerge --sync now.

We'll see if I can't emerge gentoo-sources  (I'm currently running 3.7.9).

On 5/23/2013 14:30, Don Wilburn wrote:

>  >assuming your doing the install in the chroot environment?
> Yes.  The clock is right too.  (A flaky year seems to be a factory
> defect, but I digress...)
>
>  >are you able to emerge any other sources?  e.g. vanilla-sources?
> No.  I had tried gentoo-sources this morning from clean reinstall
> attempt.  That failed, so I emailed this list.  After the response, I
> tried emerge vanilla-sources.  Same result.  Then I tried emerge -tav
> vanilla-sources.
> This put a lot of messages in the log.  It ended with:
> --/usr/srce/linux-3.7.10/arch/m68k/kernel/
>  >>>Failed to install sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.7.10, ...
> Same result.
>
> I looked at the log and there were one or two arches above m68k, but
> nothing after.  There was no arch/alpha, or even x86.  Looks suspicious.
>   Bad kernel source archive?
>
> Adios,  DW

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails

Brian Parkhurst
emerge gentoo-sources emerge'd 3.9.3 not 3.9.10

Doesn't appear that 3.9.10 is available yet.

alpha-omega linux # emerge --search gentoo-sources
Searching...
[ Results for search key : gentoo-sources ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
      Latest version available: 3.9.3
      Latest version installed: 3.9.3
      Size of files: 70,535 kB
      Homepage:      http://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/genpatches
3.9 kernel tree
      License:       GPL-2 !deblob? ( freedist )

On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 11:59 -0700, Brian Parkhurst wrote:

> I'm running an emerge --sync now.
>
> We'll see if I can't emerge gentoo-sources  (I'm currently running 3.7.9).
>

> On 5/23/2013 14:30, Don Wilburn wrote:
> >  >assuming your doing the install in the chroot environment?
> > Yes.  The clock is right too.  (A flaky year seems to be a factory
> > defect, but I digress...)
> >
> >  >are you able to emerge any other sources?  e.g. vanilla-sources?
> > No.  I had tried gentoo-sources this morning from clean reinstall
> > attempt.  That failed, so I emailed this list.  After the response, I
> > tried emerge vanilla-sources.  Same result.  Then I tried emerge -tav
> > vanilla-sources.
> > This put a lot of messages in the log.  It ended with:
> > --/usr/srce/linux-3.7.10/arch/m68k/kernel/
> >  >>>Failed to install sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.7.10, ...
> > Same result.
> >
> > I looked at the log and there were one or two arches above m68k, but
> > nothing after.  There was no arch/alpha, or even x86.  Looks suspicious.
> >   Bad kernel source archive?
> >
> > Adios,  DW

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails

Brian Parkhurst
Not sure about 3.7.10,

http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources?arches=all&full_cat

shows the correct arch's

On 5/24/2013 13:16, Brian Parkhurst wrote:

> emerge gentoo-sources emerge'd 3.9.3 not 3.9.10
>
> Doesn't appear that 3.9.10 is available yet.
>
> alpha-omega linux # emerge --search gentoo-sources
> Searching...
> [ Results for search key : gentoo-sources ]
> [ Applications found : 1 ]
>
> *  sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
>        Latest version available: 3.9.3
>        Latest version installed: 3.9.3
>        Size of files: 70,535 kB
>        Homepage:      http://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/genpatches
> 3.9 kernel tree
>        License:       GPL-2 !deblob? ( freedist )
>
> On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 11:59 -0700, Brian Parkhurst wrote:
>> I'm running an emerge --sync now.
>>
>> We'll see if I can't emerge gentoo-sources  (I'm currently running 3.7.9).
>>

>> On 5/23/2013 14:30, Don Wilburn wrote:
>>>   >assuming your doing the install in the chroot environment?
>>> Yes.  The clock is right too.  (A flaky year seems to be a factory
>>> defect, but I digress...)
>>>
>>>   >are you able to emerge any other sources?  e.g. vanilla-sources?
>>> No.  I had tried gentoo-sources this morning from clean reinstall
>>> attempt.  That failed, so I emailed this list.  After the response, I
>>> tried emerge vanilla-sources.  Same result.  Then I tried emerge -tav
>>> vanilla-sources.
>>> This put a lot of messages in the log.  It ended with:
>>> --/usr/srce/linux-3.7.10/arch/m68k/kernel/
>>>   >>>Failed to install sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.7.10, ...
>>> Same result.
>>>
>>> I looked at the log and there were one or two arches above m68k, but
>>> nothing after.  There was no arch/alpha, or even x86.  Looks suspicious.
>>>    Bad kernel source archive?
>>>
>>> Adios,  DW

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails

Don Wilburn
I got 3.7.10 from www.kernel.org yesterday evening.  I didn't really
want to do it a la carte, so to speak, but it looks like I kept getting
defective source from gentoo mirrors.  I guess my mind was closed to
that possibility.  It worked before, so why would it change?

It took a couple iterations to get the kernel config right, but my alpha
works once more.

 >I'm running an emerge --sync now.
I'll be curious to see the gentoo-sources result.

Adios,  DW

On 5/24/2013 3:16 PM, Brian Parkhurst wrote:
> emerge gentoo-sources emerge'd 3.9.3 not 3.9.10

3.7.10 is the last one marked stable for alpha on the gentoo packages
site.  Mine isn's set up to allow anything unstable.

Adios,  DW

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails

Brian Parkhurst
I'll attempt to download and install gentoo-source-3.7.10 here.  I'm
current genkernel building 3.9.3 for kicks at the moment.

On 5/24/2013 13:56, Don Wilburn wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 3:16 PM, Brian Parkhurst wrote:
>> emerge gentoo-sources emerge'd 3.9.3 not 3.9.10
>
> 3.7.10 is the last one marked stable for alpha on the gentoo packages
> site.  Mine isn's set up to allow anything unstable.
>
> Adios,  DW

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails

Brian Parkhurst
emerge of 3.7.10 succeeded,  currently attempting a genkernel  build.

On 5/24/2013 13:58, Brian Parkhurst wrote:

> I'll attempt to download and install gentoo-source-3.7.10 here.  I'm
> current genkernel building 3.9.3 for kicks at the moment.
>

> On 5/24/2013 13:56, Don Wilburn wrote:
>> On 5/24/2013 3:16 PM, Brian Parkhurst wrote:
>>> emerge gentoo-sources emerge'd 3.9.3 not 3.9.10
>>
>> 3.7.10 is the last one marked stable for alpha on the gentoo packages
>> site.  Mine isn's set up to allow anything unstable.
>>
>> Adios,  DW

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails

Brian Parkhurst
I've successfully built a kernel.   I'll reboot the host later this
evening when I'm home and can kick it if the boot hangs.

On 5/24/2013 13:58, Brian Parkhurst wrote:

> I'll attempt to download and install gentoo-source-3.7.10 here.  I'm
> current genkernel building 3.9.3 for kicks at the moment.
>

> On 5/24/2013 13:56, Don Wilburn wrote:
>> On 5/24/2013 3:16 PM, Brian Parkhurst wrote:
>>> emerge gentoo-sources emerge'd 3.9.3 not 3.9.10
>>
>> 3.7.10 is the last one marked stable for alpha on the gentoo packages
>> site.  Mine isn's set up to allow anything unstable.
>>
>> Adios,  DW

emerge gentoo-sources fails FINISHED

Don Wilburn
 >emerge of 3.7.10 succeeded,  currently attempting a genkernel  build.

That was Saturday afternoon.  I tried again after reading that.  This
time, emerge did not give a fatal error.  I tried make menuconfig and
failed.  There was no /usr/src/linux/Makefile.  Furthermore, there were
_no_ files in /usr/src/linux, just directories.
So, I did a tar tvJf linux-3.7.tar.xz | less
in /usr/portage/distfiles.  Files were there.  I speculated that the
patching process was butchering something.  Doesn't matter.

I waited until later, past midnight UTC.  I said some incantations, made
some magic gestures, prayed, ran emerge, and went to sleep.
This time it worked.  I built a kernel and rebooted.  Hooray.  This
thread can end with success.

Adios,  DW

one more thing

Don Wilburn
Previously, I got a question about my video card.  I switched it back to
the nVidia GeForce FX 5200 w/256MB memory.  I emerged xorg-server after
building my latest kernel and it seems to work fine with its nv driver.
Again, that's a preliminary observation with no real applications built
to test it yet.

I've got a couple more questions, but I'll ponder them a while before
asking.  Thanks for the responses before, BTW.

Adios,  DW

es1888 audio and PWS500au

Don Wilburn
My alpha has a built-in ES1888 sound card on its ISA bus.  Does anyone
have one that works?

This old thread indicates that there are hardware problems:
http://osdir.com/ml/linux.ports.alpha/2008-03/msg00056.html

Alsa and the snd-es18xx modules load fine, the mixer works, nothing is
muted, etc.  Trying a wav file with aplay gives some pcm error.

The obvious solution is to scare up a PCI sound card.  It would be nice
if someone could tell me the built-in card works for them.

Adios,  DW

Re: es1888 audio and PWS500au

Brian Parkhurst
Can't help you there.  Have never bothered with the sound as I'm using
my alpha mostly as a web server and remote X server.

On 5/28/2013 18:39, Don Wilburn wrote:

> My alpha has a built-in ES1888 sound card on its ISA bus.  Does anyone
> have one that works?
>
> This old thread indicates that there are hardware problems:
> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.ports.alpha/2008-03/msg00056.html
>
> Alsa and the snd-es18xx modules load fine, the mixer works, nothing is
> muted, etc.  Trying a wav file with aplay gives some pcm error.
>
> The obvious solution is to scare up a PCI sound card.  It would be nice
> if someone could tell me the built-in card works for them.
>
> Adios,  DW

Alpha boot CD has no jfs tools

Don Wilburn
The install CD for alpha has a module for jfs, but no utils for such a
filesystem.
Could the Gentoo boot ISO builder please include them next time?

Mine is from May.  I'm guessing it's still the case.

I built a working jfs partition using my ext3 installation.  The jfs
version won't even mount from a Gentoo CD boot.
My jfs version seems really flaky trying to emerge things.  I don't
think it's hardware.  It may not make make a bit of difference, but I'd
like to redo it from scratch with a "factory" install cd.

If a jfs-capable CD gets built, could somebody post a notice to this
list?  Thanks.

Adios,  DW

Re: Alpha boot CD has no jfs tools

Matt Turner-5
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Don Wilburn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The install CD for alpha has a module for jfs, but no utils for such a
> filesystem.
> Could the Gentoo boot ISO builder please include them next time?
>
> Mine is from May.  I'm guessing it's still the case.
>
> I built a working jfs partition using my ext3 installation.  The jfs version
> won't even mount from a Gentoo CD boot.
> My jfs version seems really flaky trying to emerge things.  I don't think
> it's hardware.  It may not make make a bit of difference, but I'd like to
> redo it from scratch with a "factory" install cd.
>
> If a jfs-capable CD gets built, could somebody post a notice to this list?
> Thanks.

Some particular reason you want to use JFS? I don't think I've ever
used it, much less on alpha.

Probably best to file a bug to ask for jfstools to be included.

On 6/12/2013 1:43 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
> Some particular reason you want to use JFS?
My two regular old computers have a partition with Slackware installed,
one from 2005 and the other 2006.  Both are JFS and have not been killed
by power outages or hard resets.  I see JFS as "reliable," more so than
EXT3.  Once I figured out that aboot didn't care my root partition was
JFS, I was happy.  The BSD disklabel has enough slices to squander one
for a boot partition.
I don't think JFS wins any particular performance category, but I think
it's regarded as good all around.  I'll put a couple subjective reasons
at the end.

 > Probably best to file a bug to ask for jfstools to be included.
Can you point me in the direction of where to file such a bug report?

I figured the alpha developer list is really small and whoever makes the
alpha install CD image would be on this mailing list.  I'll download the
latest install image and check first.  If jfs is still lacking, I'll try
reporting a bug.

Subjective reasons:
JFS came from IBM.  They probably had some quality people developing JFS
for IBM products.
Hans Reiser is a convicted murderer.  I don't want ReiserFS on my
computer.
I had a small amount of stock in SGI.  They went bankrupt and cost me
money.  So, by association, I hate SGI->Irix->XFS. Who needs XFS?
The Gentoo alpha install CD has utils for ReiserFS and XFS.  Seems
strange to neglect JFS.
Thanks for the reply.

Adios,  DW

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Don Wilburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Probably best to file a bug to ask for jfstools to be included.
> Can you point me in the direction of where to file such a bug report?

http://bugs.gentoo.org/

It's less likely to be forgotten if we have a bug to remind us. :)

Re: Alpha boot CD has no jfs tools bug report

Don Wilburn
 > best to file a bug to ask for jfstools to be included.

I just formally filed a bug and got a very prompt suggestion to ask the
alpha team to include jfstools.  He said it was not included because
it's not marked stable for alpha.

jfsutils is not marked stable for _any_ architecture on
packages.gentoo.org.  JFS must be really wicked.

The official bug report may be enough, but I'm asking here for the alpha
team to please include mkfs and fsck for jfs next time.  Thanks.

Adios,  DW

emerge failure revisited

Don Wilburn
A couple weeks ago, I reported that emerge gentoo-sources was failing.
It magically worked once, so I quit yapping.

This was in the context of a fresh install, from the Gentoo CD boot.
The fix seems to be enabling a swap device, which I don't think is in
the instructions.

It was a fluke that I came to this conclusion, but it works.
I switched to a second PWS500 (almost identical) to eliminate crazy
hardware as a possibility.
I didn't think portage/emerge was such a hog that 256MB RAM was too
little.  BTW, my first machine had 384MB.

I'm not going to formally report this as a bug, but I think something is
wrong.  Maybe it only affects weakling Alphas like mine?
I don't follow the alternative architectures forum.  Maybe if someone
shows up there with this problem, you can suggest swapon.

Adios,  DW

Re: emerge failure revisited

Andrew Gaylard
On 07/11/13 04:41, Don Wilburn wrote:

> A couple weeks ago, I reported that emerge gentoo-sources was failing.
> It magically worked once, so I quit yapping.
>
> This was in the context of a fresh install, from the Gentoo CD boot.
> The fix seems to be enabling a swap device, which I don't think is in
> the instructions.
>
> It was a fluke that I came to this conclusion, but it works.
> I switched to a second PWS500 (almost identical) to eliminate crazy
> hardware as a possibility.
> I didn't think portage/emerge was such a hog that 256MB RAM was too
> little.  BTW, my first machine had 384MB.
>
> I'm not going to formally report this as a bug, but I think something
> is wrong.  Maybe it only affects weakling Alphas like mine?
> I don't follow the alternative architectures forum.  Maybe if someone
> shows up there with this problem, you can suggest swapon.
>
> Adios,  DW

I haven't seen any error messages, but in today's world, it's really a
good idea to run GCC with at least 1GB of (virtual) memory.  My alpha
has 512MB, so I make sure that my swap is 2GB.  I strongly recommend you
do likewise, disk space permitting.

--
Andrew