Xorg installation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
65 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: emerge failure revisited

Don Wilburn
On 7/11/2013 9:37 AM, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
> 2GB.  I strongly recommend you do likewise, disk space permitting.
My swap partition is 1GB, as recommended by the handbook.  But, I have
space to waste, so I'll see about revising that.  Thanks.

Consider that this was a fresh install from CD.  No swap file is added
automatically, and nothing tells you to do it manually.

My first install was circa April.  I didn't think it was a big deal to
erase it and start over, but I'm struggling to get back as far again.

Adios,  DW



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: emerge failure revisited

Matt Turner-5
In reply to this post by Don Wilburn
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Don Wilburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This was in the context of a fresh install, from the Gentoo CD boot.
> The fix seems to be enabling a swap device, which I don't think is in the
> instructions.

It is: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-alpha.xml?part=1&chap=4

256 MB is much too little to compile things.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: emerge failure revisited

Don Wilburn
On 7/20/2013 11:10 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
>> I don't think is in the
>> >instructions.
> It is:

Thanks for checking up on me.

Shame on me for missing it.  It's right after the part about alternative
filesystems, like, ahem, JFS...

I still think it would be nice to have those rudimentary JFS tools on a
boot cd.  Mr. Klausman has marked them stable for alpha.

Adios,  DW


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

install cd won't boot

Don Wilburn
In reply to this post by Matt Turner-5
I've been trying to make a boot CD from the 9/6/2014 iso.  I tried more
than than one iso, from different mirrors, using different computers,
and different programs.  The result was always something about block 0
is not a valid boot block.
So, I tried isomarkboot from Gentoo.  No luck.
Then I booted an old Debian (5.0 lenny) installation and used their
isomarkboot.  I just entered isomarkboot file.iso boot/bootlx.  This
time, it did start to boot.  It died with kernel stack not valid and
three chevrons.
I'm out of CD-Rs.

I always figured it was my terrible IDE chip.  However, I have a Gentoo
CD I marked 5/5/2013 that boots perfectly.  So, I have to conclude that
my hardware can function.
I don't imagine that the aboot package has changed recently.  I don't
know.  My hard drives are SCSI and aboot works for them.  I never tried
isomarkboot before.
I left out any initrd parameters when I tried the Debian isomarkboot.
There are initrd parameters passed to the kernels in the aboot.conf file
on the CD, but I don't know what isomarkboot needs.

I assume the boot CD kernels work.
The man page says I can use a loop device or an image file.  The
question is:
What is the proper syntax for running isomarkboot to make a Gentoo
install CD?  Anything tricky?

Note: I ran the sha512sum on one iso file and eyballed the result.  It
was right.
The next iso will probably be out soon.  My spindle of CD-Rs should
arrive soon too, ha ha.  I'll keep trying.

Adios,  DW

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: install cd won't boot

Don Wilburn
I filed a bug report on isomarkboot.

Meanwhile, I resorted to a cheat:
Booted debian lenny
mounted non-booting gentoo image using loop device
made a new image with genisofs -alpha-boot boot/bootlx ...
wrote new image to a CD using wodim and rebooted
Voila, it works.

I wish I had the knowledge to actually fix isomarkboot.  It's not
exactly a crisis, at least.

Adios,  DW

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: install cd won't boot

Don Wilburn
Oops, a typo
 >made a new image with genisofs -alpha-boot boot/bootlx ...

I meant genisoimage.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: install cd won't boot

Raúl Porcel
On 10/07/14 16:32, Don Wilburn wrote:
> Oops, a typo
>>made a new image with genisofs -alpha-boot boot/bootlx ...
>
> I meant genisoimage.
>

I'm doing my investigation in the bug:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=524060

Thanks for the genisoimage idea, could be a workaround...

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

radeon questions

Don Wilburn
In reply to this post by Andrew Gaylard
Dear silent alpha list,

I got X to work with my GeForce card and the nv driver.  It was
functional, but underwhelming.  So, I got a PCI Radeon card via eBay.
Specifically, it's a Visiontek 9250.  The lspci output calls it an RV280
9200 PRO.  So far, I can't get X to work.
Like nouveau for my nVidia card, the kernel DRM radeon module won't
load.  Running modprobe radeon fails and says "Exec format error."  The
dmesg output says something about "Relocation (type 4) overflow vs
radeon_resume_kms."
Question 1:  Does the kernel module work with any alpha, or is it just mine?

Even worse, the xorg driver doesn't seem to work for me.  The Xorg
website says the radeon driver works with the RV280/9250 chip.  The
Xorg.0.log shows a long list of radeon models, but none of the 9200/9250
models say PCI.  They say AGP or IGP.
I tried to copycat a google result pertaining to a ppc iMac and made a
conf file to explicitly relate the radeon driver to the device by BusID,
but that didn't help.
Question 2:  Does anyone have a PCI radeon 9250 working in their alpha?

Should I give up?  Any advice is welcome.

Oh, I don't expect my video performance to be very good in a 500MHz
machine with a PCI card.  I was hoping there would be an advantage with
drivers for ATI/AMD vs hostile nVidia.

Thanks,  DW

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: radeon questions

Matt Turner-5
On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Don Wilburn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear silent alpha list,
>
> I got X to work with my GeForce card and the nv driver.  It was functional,
> but underwhelming.  So, I got a PCI Radeon card via eBay.
> Specifically, it's a Visiontek 9250.  The lspci output calls it an RV280
> 9200 PRO.  So far, I can't get X to work.
> Like nouveau for my nVidia card, the kernel DRM radeon module won't load.
> Running modprobe radeon fails and says "Exec format error."  The dmesg
> output says something about "Relocation (type 4) overflow vs
> radeon_resume_kms."
> Question 1:  Does the kernel module work with any alpha, or is it just mine?

It should work. My complete guess is that the module is too large.
Maybe try building it into your kernel? I suspect that might make the
problem more obvious.

> Even worse, the xorg driver doesn't seem to work for me.  The Xorg website
> says the radeon driver works with the RV280/9250 chip.  The Xorg.0.log shows
> a long list of radeon models, but none of the 9200/9250 models say PCI.
> They say AGP or IGP.

I don't expect the 2D driver will work without the kernel module.
Focus on the kernel module first.

> I tried to copycat a google result pertaining to a ppc iMac and made a conf
> file to explicitly relate the radeon driver to the device by BusID, but that
> didn't help.
> Question 2:  Does anyone have a PCI radeon 9250 working in their alpha?

I've had a Radeon 9100 working in an alpha, as well as others. A 9250
should work.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: radeon questions

Måns Rullgård
Matt Turner <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Don Wilburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear silent alpha list,
>>
>> I got X to work with my GeForce card and the nv driver.  It was functional,
>> but underwhelming.  So, I got a PCI Radeon card via eBay.
>> Specifically, it's a Visiontek 9250.  The lspci output calls it an RV280
>> 9200 PRO.  So far, I can't get X to work.
>> Like nouveau for my nVidia card, the kernel DRM radeon module won't load.
>> Running modprobe radeon fails and says "Exec format error."  The dmesg
>> output says something about "Relocation (type 4) overflow vs
>> radeon_resume_kms."
>> Question 1:  Does the kernel module work with any alpha, or is it just mine?
>
> It should work. My complete guess is that the module is too large.
> Maybe try building it into your kernel? I suspect that might make the
> problem more obvious.

Relocation type 4 is R_ALPHA_LITERAL aka "GP relative 16 bit w/optimization"
so it can easily overflow if things get large.  Building it into the kernel
should either work or fail to link at all, hopefully with a more elaborate
error message.

Also, which kernel version are you using?  Prior to 3.9, the kernel used
the -msmall-data option, which made it especially prone to this kind of
overflow.

--
Måns Rullgård
[hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: radeon questions

Don Wilburn
 >which kernel version are you using?

It is 3.17.4 from the gentoo-sources.  It was 3.14.14, which is still
the newest marked "stable" for alpha.

 >I don't expect the 2D driver will work without the kernel module.
Focus on the kernel module first.

I thought the xorg radeon driver would be independent of the kernel
module.  I will go back and make a new kernel today.  Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: radeon questions

Don Wilburn
In reply to this post by Matt Turner-5
 >Maybe try building it into your kernel? I suspect that might make the
problem more obvious.

The first attempt failed to build.  So, I changed a few other things
from built-in to modules.  The second one built successfully.
Indeed, X started and the window manager looked OK.  I started xterm and
dragged it around.  Just after the kernel, I had emerged mesa-progs.
So, I tried glxgears and CRASH.  Blank screen.  No response.  So, I
logged in on a serial connection and tried my best to shut down
gracefully.  I tried X a few more times and tried other programs, but
the results have been the same or worse.
I am encouraged that X might work.  There are still problems.  I'll keep
trying.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: radeon questions

Alex Deucher
In reply to this post by Don Wilburn
On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Don Wilburn <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>which kernel version are you using?
>
> It is 3.17.4 from the gentoo-sources.  It was 3.14.14, which is still the
> newest marked "stable" for alpha.
>
>>I don't expect the 2D driver will work without the kernel module.
> Focus on the kernel module first.
>
> I thought the xorg radeon driver would be independent of the kernel module.
> I will go back and make a new kernel today.  Thanks.
>

The radeon ddx relies on the KMS kernel driver.  The old UMS code in
the ddx was dropped a while ago.

Alex

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: radeon questions

Don Wilburn
In reply to this post by Matt Turner-5
Thanks for your replies.  Building the radeon driver into the kernel
seems to work, but trying to make it a module does not (for me anyway).
It makes me wonder if nouveau could work in a similar fashion.

My X crashes were hardware problems.  The early DEC Personal Workstation
has a DMA problem with its 64-bit PCI slots.  Some well-behaved cards
work fine, apparently.  This Visiontek card doesn't make that list.
This is the first time I've had objective proof.  Switching to a 32-bit
PCI slot fixed my crashes.
Once I found out those 64-bit slots were ordinary PCI. there was no
reason to put the vido card there anyway.  If they were PCI-X (not
express), I could have gotten a 66MHz bus at least, but mine are fixed
at 33.  Boo hoo.

My PNY GeForce 5200 did not cause problems in the bad slot.  Maybe the
nv driver is too timid to cause a similar problem.  Maybe the hardware
is less troublesome.  The question is moot.

I let X default to my 17" non-widescreen LCD monitor's 1280x1024 and
24-bit color.  My first successful start of glxgears yielded about
60fps.  I'm happy just to see those gears turn at all.

Now I need to figure out something better for my fb.modes file.  The
framebuffer console text is tiny at 1280x1024.

Adios,  DW

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: radeon questions

Måns Rullgård
Don Wilburn <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks for your replies.  Building the radeon driver into the kernel
> seems to work, but trying to make it a module does not (for me
> anyway).
> It makes me wonder if nouveau could work in a similar fashion.

Try and find out. :)

> My X crashes were hardware problems.  The early DEC Personal
> Workstation has a DMA problem with its 64-bit PCI slots.

Yes, the older ones have a problem where a bus-master DMA transfer
crosses a page boundary may get corrupted.  The more recent SRM versions
include a whitelist of known-good devices, and will refuse to boot if an
unknown card is found in an affected slot (though there is an override).
The slots behind the PCI-PCI bridge have DMA transactions split on page
boundaries anyway, so those are not affected.

> Some well-behaved cards work fine, apparently.  This Visiontek card
> doesn't make that list. This is the first time I've had objective
> proof.  Switching to a 32-bit PCI slot fixed my crashes.  Once I found
> out those 64-bit slots were ordinary PCI. there was no reason to put
> the vido card there anyway.  If they were PCI-X (not express), I could
> have gotten a 66MHz bus at least, but mine are fixed at 33.  Boo hoo.
>
> My PNY GeForce 5200 did not cause problems in the bad slot.  Maybe the
> nv driver is too timid to cause a similar problem.  Maybe the hardware
> is less troublesome.  The question is moot.
>
> I let X default to my 17" non-widescreen LCD monitor's 1280x1024 and
> 24-bit color.  My first successful start of glxgears yielded about
> 60fps.  I'm happy just to see those gears turn at all.

60fps could simply be the vertical refresh rate.

--
Måns Rullgård
[hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: radeon questions

Matt Turner-5
On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Måns Rullgård <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don Wilburn <[hidden email]> writes:
>> I let X default to my 17" non-widescreen LCD monitor's 1280x1024 and
>> 24-bit color.  My first successful start of glxgears yielded about
>> 60fps.  I'm happy just to see those gears turn at all.
>
> 60fps could simply be the vertical refresh rate.

Yes, it certainly is. vblank_mode=0 will disable it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: radeon questions

Don Wilburn
 >Yes, it certainly is. vblank_mode=0 will disable it.
That changed it from 60 to 299, with no other changes.

Since Matt Turner has been reading:
I am probably going to file a bug on mesa-10.3.1.  It has stopped me
from building firefox or seamonkey.  Changing VIDEO_CARDS didn't help me
this time.  Mesa-10.0.4 is the last one marked stable for alpha and it
works here.  I tried a newer mesa than 10.3.1, but it failed too.
I will attach the last 10.3.1 emerge info to the bug report.
Is there any other info I can provide that will help?

 >the older ones have a problem where a bus-master DMA transfer

I read in the FreeBSD documentation that some MX-5 models had a hardware
workaround from the factory.  Since the problem hadn't revealed itself
with my other cards, I was hoping that might apply.  Now I know for sure
that mine is a bad one.

 >The more recent SRM versions include a whitelist of known-good
devices, and will refuse to boot

The AphaBIOS side tells you about "illegal" cards too.  It doesn't even
like the DEC SCSI card.  The original Matrox card is the only one I have
that passes.

 >Try and find out.
Of the 3 ~identical alphas I saved from the garbage truck, this is the
best one and I'm happy to find a combo that works.  If I had another
free monitor, I might try another.
Actually, in the mean time, I came up with a Matrox G550.  I was hoping
it might have a driver advantage too, even though the card was weaker
than contemporary ATI/nVidia offerings.  The kernel driver doesn't list
G550 as a choice, but Xorg says their driver does go up to G550.
Whatever.  I'll think about it some other time.

Adios,  DW

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: radeon questions

Måns Rullgård
Don Wilburn <[hidden email]> writes:

>>the older ones have a problem where a bus-master DMA transfer
>
> I read in the FreeBSD documentation that some MX-5 models had a
> hardware workaround from the factory.  Since the problem hadn't
> revealed itself with my other cards, I was hoping that might apply.
> Now I know for sure that mine is a bad one.

The PWS models with USB ports have the fix.

--
Måns Rullgård
[hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

radeonfb question

Don Wilburn
Alpha list,

This may not be alpha-specific.  I don't know.  Perhaps Gentoo has an
appropriate forum?

To make my radeon work, I had to build the X driver into the kernel.
This forced me to build a radeonfb module.  The framebuffer module makes
my console 1280x1024 32bit with 160x64 text.
I would really, really, really prefer something else on my 17"
non-widescreen monitor.  I can't figure out a way to do it.

For X, xrandr can switch to a variety of auto-detected modes.  The
console framebuffer only gives one choice by default.  So, I tried fbset
and /etc/fb.modes.  Regardless of geometry, the only timings line that
works is 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.  For example

mode "800x600"
   geometry 800 600 800 600 24
   timings 25000 88 40 23 1 128 4
   hsync high
   vsync high
endmode

That gives "ioctl FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument" as a result.
The timings listed are from formula and are confirmed by an old example
posted at https://github.com/Distrotech/fbset/blob/master/etc/fb.modes.ATI
(800x600 60HZ)
Changing timings to all zeroes removes the error, but gives me an
800x600 piece of a 1280x1024 screen.

So, I tried passing a parameter to the module.  The kernel loads it
automatically while booting.  I made a radeonfb.conf file in
/etc/modeprobe.d, but nothing worked.
It seems strange that I can rmmod radeonfb and fb_ddc and the console
remains unaffected.

What am I missing?  Is it not possible to change my console resolution?
  I need help.

Thanks,  DW

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: radeonfb question solved

Don Wilburn
The information was all over the place.  I read that KMS drivers take
care of framebuffers themselves on one site.  It seems like I was forced
to choose a console framebuffer too in order to make the radeon X driver
work.  That would explain why unloading radeonfb had no effect.
Whatever, I'm not going to try again right away.
The solution was passing a boot parameter.  Ultimately, I used xrandr to
tell me the connector name.  So, it was video=VGA-1:width x height...
Hooray.

Adios,  DW

1234
Loading...