Xorg installation

bug filed, probably happens to Alpha alone

Don Wilburn
The bug is with the old bsd-game of cribbage.  I don't have an x86
Gentoo kit, just my Alpha.  The bugs.gentoo.org info said if it's not
x86, then add the architecture team to the CC list.  So, I did, weeks later.
It's Bug 537010.
It seems strange that an ancient, text-based game wouldn't work right.
Maybe it's too old?  I reported that the Gentoo game plays correctly in
Debian alpha, but neither plays right in Gentoo.
Obviously, bsd-games are not critical, necessary programs.  Still, I
like that old cribbage game.

Is there anyone else with a Gentoo alpha that has tried bsd-games and
seen a problem with cribbage?

Note:  When I emerged the latest ncurses (which made no difference) it
reported errors, but still installed.  It said not to bother Gentoo with
that stuff, because it's an upstream problem.  So, if it's a problem
with something similar, I'll shut up.  I'm crossing my fingers and
hoping it's something easily fixed.

Adios,  DW

Re: bug filed, probably happens to Alpha alone

Don Wilburn
To all lurking cribbage players:
Mr. Klausmann proved my wild speculation was incorrect.  Cribbage is not
only broken on Alpha.  Apparently, other architectures have the same
problem.

nouveau question

Don Wilburn
I found a cheap SCSI drive and got my other PWS500a (el segundo) to
work.  I put my nVidia card in and made a kernel with a built-in nouveau
driver.  The nouveau framebuffer console works fine.
Gentoo refuses to acknowledge VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau" on my alpha.  I see
how USE flags can be masked in profiles, but I don't know how video
cards are masked.  I'm sure someone could tell me quicker than I can
figure it out myself.

Is nouveau being prevented because alpha can't run it?
Am I missing some obvious answer?

Adios, DW

Re: nouveau question -follow up

Don Wilburn
 >I don't know how video cards are masked.  I'm sure someone could tell
me quicker than I can figure it out myself.

I was looking in the wrong use.mask file.  I found it.
Nouveau was masked 4 years ago because it needs testing.  So, I'll just
unmask it and see what happens.

One more question...  for newer cards than mine, nouveau requires
firmware blobs for some acceleration.  Are those blobs independent of
the computer, or do they require an intel/amd cpu?  The Gentoo nvidia
firmware package only shows amd64 and i386, I think.

Adios,  DW

Re: nouveau question -follow up

Alan Young-2
Don Wilburn wrote:

> >I don't know how video cards are masked.  I'm sure someone could tell
> me quicker than I can figure it out myself.
>
> I was looking in the wrong use.mask file.  I found it.
> Nouveau was masked 4 years ago because it needs testing.  So, I'll
> just unmask it and see what happens.
>
> One more question...  for newer cards than mine, nouveau requires
> firmware blobs for some acceleration.  Are those blobs independent of
> the computer, or do they require an intel/amd cpu?  The Gentoo nvidia
> firmware package only shows amd64 and i386, I think.
>
> Adios,  DW

The firmware should be independent of the architecture.  Looking at the
ebuild, it looks like it downloads the x86 driver from nvidia, extracts
the files and then runs a python script to pull the firmware blob from
the driver. Eventually, it ends up in /lib/firmware/nouveau. Worst case
scenario you'll have to extract it on a x86 box (or maybe under qemu
running linux...) and copy the resulting file manually back to the Alpha.

Alan

1234