after dd many badblocks on new SATA HD

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

after dd many badblocks on new SATA HD

maxim wexler
Hello everybody,

I ran dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda bs=10240 to copy the
contents of one drive to another as suggested on this
list. And updated fstab and grub.conf. Now the PC
boots into a kernel panic. The boot sector /dev/sda1
is okay but badblocks reveals page after page of
badblocks on /dev/sda3(reiserfs), my root part.

I've only had the drive, a Western Digital 120G SATA,
a few days and it was never dropped or bumped. Could
it be a lemon drive or is this a result of dd going
haywire somehow?

I re-ran dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/sda3 to redo just the
partition in question but it didn't help.

Any suggestions?

-mw


       
               
__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
http://mail.yahoo.com
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after dd many badblocks on new SATA HD

Iain Buchanan
On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 18:03 -0800, maxim wexler wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I ran dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda bs=10240 to copy the
> contents of one drive to another as suggested on this
> list. And updated fstab and grub.conf. Now the PC
> boots into a kernel panic.

does dd use any sort of error checking?

> Any suggestions?

they way I do it every time, is create the partitions and use rsync.
Then you know every file will be copied correctly, and you can pick up
at some later stage between reboots.

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <[hidden email]>

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after dd many badblocks on new SATA HD

Raymond Lillard
Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 18:03 -0800, maxim wexler wrote:
>
>>Hello everybody,
>>
>>I ran dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda bs=10240 to copy the
>>contents of one drive to another as suggested on this
>>list. And updated fstab and grub.conf. Now the PC
>>boots into a kernel panic.

bad idea.

I'm guessing that you need to rewrite the boot block
with the grub shell.

man grub

>
>
> does dd use any sort of error checking?

No.

>
>>Any suggestions?

Yes.

> they way I do it every time, is create the partitions and use rsync.
> Then you know every file will be copied correctly, and you can pick up
> at some later stage between reboots.

Do the above with rsync, or tar, or cpio, or dump/restore, or cp -a old new.

all of the above options are preferred over dd

Good luck,
Ray


--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after dd many badblocks on new SATA HD

maxim wexler


--- Raymond Lillard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Iain Buchanan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 18:03 -0800, maxim wexler
> wrote:
> >
> >>Hello everybody,
> >>
> >>I ran dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda bs=10240 to copy
> the
> >>contents of one drive to another as suggested on
> this
> >>list. And updated fstab and grub.conf. Now the PC
> >>boots into a kernel panic.
>
> bad idea.
>
> I'm guessing that you need to rewrite the boot block
> with the grub shell.
>
> man grub
>
> >
> >
> > does dd use any sort of error checking?
>
> No.
>
> >
> >>Any suggestions?
>
> Yes.
>
> > they way I do it every time, is create the
> partitions and use rsync.
> > Then you know every file will be copied correctly,
> and you can pick up
> > at some later stage between reboots.
>
> Do the above with rsync, or tar, or cpio, or
> dump/restore, or cp -a old new.
>
> all of the above options are preferred over dd

Tried rsync -a and cp -a. No good. Millions of
badblocks remain. But it's OK, Western Digital is
shipping another gratis :)



       
               
__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
http://mail.yahoo.com
--
[hidden email] mailing list