alternative kernels

Alexander Kapshuk
I've been using gentoo-sources for a while now.

I remember reading on this list about some users using alternative
kernels on their gentoo systems. My understanding is that amongst some
of the other alternatives, besides the genkernel, which I'm not
interested in using, are vanilla-sources available in the portage
tree, and the sources available on kernel.org.
I'd appreciate being given some pointers on how the folk here maintain
their alternative kernels.

Thanks.

Re: alternative kernels

Canek Peláez Valdés
On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Alexander Kapshuk
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been using gentoo-sources for a while now.
>
> I remember reading on this list about some users using alternative
> kernels on their gentoo systems. My understanding is that amongst some
> of the other alternatives, besides the genkernel, which I'm not
> interested in using, are vanilla-sources available in the portage
> tree, and the sources available on kernel.org.
> I'd appreciate being given some pointers on how the folk here maintain
> their alternative kernels.

I've been using vanilla-sources since September 2009, in all my
machines. I use systemd, so having the latest kernel version doesn't
hurt; a new vanilla-sources version is usually ready a few hours after
Linus releases a new kernel, and gentoo-sources takes at least a few
weeks, sometimes more.

As to how do I maintain them, I wrote a little utility that I've been
using from the last year or so:

https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst

With it, after I install a new kernel using the normal portage
procedure, I just do:

eselect kernel set <new-version>
kerninst

And that's it. Be aware that you need to provide your own kernel configuration.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Re: alternative kernels

Giuseppe Pappalardo
On 10/26/2014 08:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> As to how do I maintain them, I wrote a little utility that I've been
> using from the last year or so:
>
> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
>
> With it, after I install a new kernel using the normal portage
> procedure, I just do:
>
> eselect kernel set <new-version>
> kerninst
>
> And that's it. Be aware that you need to provide your own kernel configuration.
>
> Regards.

How does this differs from just enabling the "symlink" USE flag in
vanilla-sources?

--
Giuseppe "Pappi" Pappalardo | www.giuseppepappalardo.eu |
www.twitter.com/pappi_

Re: alternative kernels

Alexander Kapshuk
On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Alexander Kapshuk
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've been using gentoo-sources for a while now.
>>
>> I remember reading on this list about some users using alternative
>> kernels on their gentoo systems. My understanding is that amongst some
>> of the other alternatives, besides the genkernel, which I'm not
>> interested in using, are vanilla-sources available in the portage
>> tree, and the sources available on kernel.org.
>> I'd appreciate being given some pointers on how the folk here maintain
>> their alternative kernels.
>
> I've been using vanilla-sources since September 2009, in all my
> machines. I use systemd, so having the latest kernel version doesn't
> hurt; a new vanilla-sources version is usually ready a few hours after
> Linus releases a new kernel, and gentoo-sources takes at least a few
> weeks, sometimes more.
>
> As to how do I maintain them, I wrote a little utility that I've been
> using from the last year or so:
>
> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
>
> With it, after I install a new kernel using the normal portage
> procedure, I just do:
>
> eselect kernel set <new-version>
> kerninst
>
> And that's it. Be aware that you need to provide your own kernel configuration.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Canek Peláez Valdés
> Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Understood. Thanks for sharing your kernel maintenance experiences.

Re: alternative kernels

Canek Peláez Valdés
On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Giuseppe Pappalardo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/26/2014 08:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>>

>> As to how do I maintain them, I wrote a little utility that I've been
>> using from the last year or so:
>>
>> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
>>
>> With it, after I install a new kernel using the normal portage
>> procedure, I just do:
>>
>> eselect kernel set <new-version>
>> kerninst
>>
>> And that's it. Be aware that you need to provide your own kernel configuration.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
> How does this differs from just enabling the "symlink" USE flag in
> vanilla-sources?

AFAIU, the symlink USE flag just updates the /usr/src/linux link
automatically at install time (although I have never used it).

kerninst configures (using a user-provided .config file), compiles,
and installs the kernel in the correct location (/boot if using GRUB2,
a more complex location if using Gummiboot), and then it updates the
configuration of the boot manager (either GRUB2 or Gummiboot).

If you set the symlink USE flag, then using kerninst is even easier,
since you don't neet to eselect the new kernel.

Regards.

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Giuseppe Pappalardo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10/26/2014 08:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>>>

>>> As to how do I maintain them, I wrote a little utility that I've been
>>> using from the last year or so:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
>>>
>>> With it, after I install a new kernel using the normal portage
>>> procedure, I just do:
>>>
>>> eselect kernel set <new-version>
>>> kerninst
>>>
>>> And that's it. Be aware that you need to provide your own kernel configuration.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>> How does this differs from just enabling the "symlink" USE flag in
>> vanilla-sources?
>
> AFAIU, the symlink USE flag just updates the /usr/src/linux link
> automatically at install time (although I have never used it).
>
> kerninst configures (using a user-provided .config file), compiles,
> and installs the kernel in the correct location (/boot if using GRUB2,
> a more complex location if using Gummiboot), and then it updates the
> configuration of the boot manager (either GRUB2 or Gummiboot).

Oh, I forgot; it also generates an initramfs for it with dracut. This
is important: kerninst assumes you use an initramfs, and that you use
dracut to create it. Also, it assumes you already configured
dracut.conf.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Re: alternative kernels

Volker Armin Hemmann
Am 26.10.2014 um 20:09 schrieb Alexander Kapshuk:

> I've been using gentoo-sources for a while now.
>
> I remember reading on this list about some users using alternative
> kernels on their gentoo systems. My understanding is that amongst some
> of the other alternatives, besides the genkernel, which I'm not
> interested in using, are vanilla-sources available in the portage
> tree, and the sources available on kernel.org.
> I'd appreciate being given some pointers on how the folk here maintain
> their alternative kernels.
>
> Thanks.
>
> .

I let portage update the vanilla-sources and once in a while a build and
install a new kernel. At the moment I am on 3.12.23. Maybe I install
3.12.30 tonight. If I find a good reason to do so.

Re: alternative kernels

Alexander Kapshuk
On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 26.10.2014 um 20:09 schrieb Alexander Kapshuk:
>> I've been using gentoo-sources for a while now.
>>
>> I remember reading on this list about some users using alternative
>> kernels on their gentoo systems. My understanding is that amongst some
>> of the other alternatives, besides the genkernel, which I'm not
>> interested in using, are vanilla-sources available in the portage
>> tree, and the sources available on kernel.org.
>> I'd appreciate being given some pointers on how the folk here maintain
>> their alternative kernels.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> .
>>

> I let portage update the vanilla-sources and once in a while a build and
> install a new kernel. At the moment I am on 3.12.23. Maybe I install
> 3.12.30 tonight. If I find a good reason to do so.

Understood. Thanks.

Re: alternative kernels

Giuseppe Pappalardo
On 10/26/2014 08:43 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Giuseppe Pappalardo
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> How does this differs from just enabling the "symlink" USE flag in
>>> vanilla-sources?
>>
>> AFAIU, the symlink USE flag just updates the /usr/src/linux link
>> automatically at install time (although I have never used it).
>>
>> kerninst configures (using a user-provided .config file), compiles,
>> and installs the kernel in the correct location (/boot if using GRUB2,
>> a more complex location if using Gummiboot), and then it updates the
>> configuration of the boot manager (either GRUB2 or Gummiboot).
>
> Oh, I forgot; it also generates an initramfs for it with dracut. This
> is important: kerninst assumes you use an initramfs, and that you use
> dracut to create it. Also, it assumes you already configured
> dracut.conf.
>
> Regards.

Got it. Thanks a lot for your clarification.

--
Giuseppe "Pappi" Pappalardo | www.giuseppepappalardo.eu |
www.twitter.com/pappi_

Re: alternative kernels

Alec Ten Harmsel

On 10/26/2014 03:47 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> Am 26.10.2014 um 20:09 schrieb Alexander Kapshuk:
>> I've been using gentoo-sources for a while now.
>>
>> I remember reading on this list about some users using alternative
>> kernels on their gentoo systems. My understanding is that amongst some
>> of the other alternatives, besides the genkernel, which I'm not
>> interested in using, are vanilla-sources available in the portage
>> tree, and the sources available on kernel.org.
>> I'd appreciate being given some pointers on how the folk here maintain
>> their alternative kernels.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> .
>>
> I let portage update the vanilla-sources and once in a while a build and
> install a new kernel. At the moment I am on 3.12.23. Maybe I install
> 3.12.30 tonight. If I find a good reason to do so.

What happens when you run `emerge --depclean`?

I always un-keyword the exact version of vanilla-sources that I'm
running since I update and depclean on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge
fan of having a bunch of kernels under /usr/src/linux-* but only having
a couple of them compiled, but to each his own I guess.

Alec

Re: alternative kernels

Canek Peláez Valdés
On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/26/2014 03:47 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> Am 26.10.2014 um 20:09 schrieb Alexander Kapshuk:
>>> I've been using gentoo-sources for a while now.
>>>
>>> I remember reading on this list about some users using alternative
>>> kernels on their gentoo systems. My understanding is that amongst some
>>> of the other alternatives, besides the genkernel, which I'm not
>>> interested in using, are vanilla-sources available in the portage
>>> tree, and the sources available on kernel.org.
>>> I'd appreciate being given some pointers on how the folk here maintain
>>> their alternative kernels.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>> I let portage update the vanilla-sources and once in a while a build and
>> install a new kernel. At the moment I am on 3.12.23. Maybe I install
>> 3.12.30 tonight. If I find a good reason to do so.
>>
> What happens when you run `emerge --depclean`?
>
> I always un-keyword the exact version of vanilla-sources that I'm
> running since I update and depclean on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge
> fan of having a bunch of kernels under /usr/src/linux-* but only having
> a couple of them compiled, but to each his own I guess.

I have sys-kernel/vanilla-sources in package.keywords, unversioned. So
depclean cleans away the older versions, and I keep the latest one.

I'm on 3.17.1 right now, but the moment 3.17.2 comes out I will switch
to it in all my machines: with kerninst is all of it mostly
automatized.

And with systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds ;)

Regards.

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been using vanilla-sources since September 2009, in all my
> machines. I use systemd, so having the latest kernel version doesn't
> hurt; a new vanilla-sources version is usually ready a few hours after
> Linus releases a new kernel, and gentoo-sources takes at least a few
> weeks, sometimes more.

When was it that you noticed gentoo-sources being that far behind.
Generally-speaking vanilla-sources and gentoo-sources tend to be
updated within a day or two of a new stable kernel release.  Now,
stable keywords on gentoo-sources tends to track longterm kernels, so
that will be behind ~arch by a few weeks.

Maybe if you caught somebody on vacation I could see gentoo-sources
lagging a bit, or if there was some debate over whether to include
some patch in it...

Re: alternative kernels

Alexander Kapshuk
On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I let portage update the vanilla-sources and once in a while a build and
>>> install a new kernel. At the moment I am on 3.12.23. Maybe I install
>>> 3.12.30 tonight. If I find a good reason to do so.
>>>
>> What happens when you run `emerge --depclean`?
>>
>> I always un-keyword the exact version of vanilla-sources that I'm
>> running since I update and depclean on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge
>> fan of having a bunch of kernels under /usr/src/linux-* but only having
>> a couple of them compiled, but to each his own I guess.
>
> I have sys-kernel/vanilla-sources in package.keywords, unversioned. So
> depclean cleans away the older versions, and I keep the latest one.
>
> I'm on 3.17.1 right now, but the moment 3.17.2 comes out I will switch
> to it in all my machines: with kerninst is all of it mostly
> automatized.
>
> And with systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds ;)
>
> Regards.
> --
> Canek Peláez Valdés
> Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Do you know if vanilla-sources plays well with openrc, as that is what I use?
Thanks.

Re: alternative kernels

Alan McKinnon-2
On 26/10/2014 22:21, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> What happens when you run `emerge --depclean`?
>>>
>>> I always un-keyword the exact version of vanilla-sources that I'm
>>> running since I update and depclean on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge
>>> fan of having a bunch of kernels under /usr/src/linux-* but only having
>>> a couple of them compiled, but to each his own I guess.
>>
>> I have sys-kernel/vanilla-sources in package.keywords, unversioned. So
>> depclean cleans away the older versions, and I keep the latest one.
>>
>> I'm on 3.17.1 right now, but the moment 3.17.2 comes out I will switch
>> to it in all my machines: with kerninst is all of it mostly
>> automatized.
>>
>> And with systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds ;)
>>
>> Regards.
>> --
>> Canek Peláez Valdés
>> Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>>

> Do you know if vanilla-sources plays well with openrc, as that is what I use?
> Thanks.

Yes it does. There's no logical reason to think it doesn't.

You do have to set some kernel options, but that is true for just about
everything in the kernel - you won't have support for hardware X unless
you enable hardware X in the kernel config :-)

One of the additions with gentoo-sources is the very first menu item,
all it does is enable a bunch of stuff that supported init systems
(openrc and systemd) use - it's purely a convenience measure and doesn't
change the kernel itself per se. systemd for example will need cgroups
enabled, openrc needs udev-mount. It's all in the ebuild, and portage
throws an error is something required is not set in .config.

--
Alan McKinnon

Re: alternative kernels

Canek Peláez Valdés
On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Rich Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been using vanilla-sources since September 2009, in all my
>> machines. I use systemd, so having the latest kernel version doesn't
>> hurt; a new vanilla-sources version is usually ready a few hours after
>> Linus releases a new kernel, and gentoo-sources takes at least a few
>> weeks, sometimes more.
>
> When was it that you noticed gentoo-sources being that far behind.

As I said, I switched to vanilla-sources more than five years ago; and
I remember that was the case back then.

Certainly I should not have assumed that it was still that way now; I
apologize for that.

> Generally-speaking vanilla-sources and gentoo-sources tend to be
> updated within a day or two of a new stable kernel release.  Now,
> stable keywords on gentoo-sources tends to track longterm kernels, so
> that will be behind ~arch by a few weeks.

I was probably using stable, yes. Afterwards, it was decided that
vanilla-sources would be always be ~arch, so probably I kept the idea
in my mind that gentoo-sources was lagging much more than
vanilla-sources, since with ~arch vanilla-sources is updated almost
immediately.

> Maybe if you caught somebody on vacation I could see gentoo-sources
> lagging a bit, or if there was some debate over whether to include
> some patch in it...

You are right, I apologize for the confussion.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Re: alternative kernels

Canek Peláez Valdés
On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Alexander Kapshuk
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> What happens when you run `emerge --depclean`?
>>>
>>> I always un-keyword the exact version of vanilla-sources that I'm
>>> running since I update and depclean on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge
>>> fan of having a bunch of kernels under /usr/src/linux-* but only having
>>> a couple of them compiled, but to each his own I guess.
>>
>> I have sys-kernel/vanilla-sources in package.keywords, unversioned. So
>> depclean cleans away the older versions, and I keep the latest one.
>>
>> I'm on 3.17.1 right now, but the moment 3.17.2 comes out I will switch
>> to it in all my machines: with kerninst is all of it mostly
>> automatized.
>>
>> And with systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds ;)
>>
>> Regards.
>> --
>> Canek Peláez Valdés
>> Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>>

> Do you know if vanilla-sources plays well with openrc, as that is what I use?

Of course it does. As Alan said, there would not be any reason for it not to.

Regards.

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 10:42 PM, Alan McKinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/10/2014 22:21, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I have sys-kernel/vanilla-sources in package.keywords, unversioned. So
>>> depclean cleans away the older versions, and I keep the latest one.
>>>
>>> I'm on 3.17.1 right now, but the moment 3.17.2 comes out I will switch
>>> to it in all my machines: with kerninst is all of it mostly
>>> automatized.
>>>
>>> And with systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds ;)
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>> --
>>> Canek Peláez Valdés
>>> Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
>>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>>>

>> Do you know if vanilla-sources plays well with openrc, as that is what I use?
>> Thanks.
>

> Yes it does. There's no logical reason to think it doesn't.
>
> You do have to set some kernel options, but that is true for just about
> everything in the kernel - you won't have support for hardware X unless
> you enable hardware X in the kernel config :-)
>
> One of the additions with gentoo-sources is the very first menu item,
> all it does is enable a bunch of stuff that supported init systems
> (openrc and systemd) use - it's purely a convenience measure and doesn't
> change the kernel itself per se. systemd for example will need cgroups
> enabled, openrc needs udev-mount. It's all in the ebuild, and portage
> throws an error is something required is not set in .config.
>

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> [hidden email]

Terrific. Thanks.

Re: alternative kernels

Alexander Kapshuk
On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Alexander Kapshuk
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I have sys-kernel/vanilla-sources in package.keywords, unversioned. So
>>> depclean cleans away the older versions, and I keep the latest one.
>>>
>>> I'm on 3.17.1 right now, but the moment 3.17.2 comes out I will switch
>>> to it in all my machines: with kerninst is all of it mostly
>>> automatized.
>>>
>>> And with systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds ;)
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>> --
>>> Canek Peláez Valdés
>>> Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
>>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>>>

>> Do you know if vanilla-sources plays well with openrc, as that is what I use?
>
> Of course it does. As Alan said, there would not be any reason for it not to.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Canek Peláez Valdés
> Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Understood. Thanks.

Re: alternative kernels

Volker Armin Hemmann
Am 26.10.2014 um 21:16 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I let portage update the vanilla-sources and once in a while a build and
>>> install a new kernel. At the moment I am on 3.12.23. Maybe I install
>>> 3.12.30 tonight. If I find a good reason to do so.
>>>
>> What happens when you run `emerge --depclean`?
>>
>> I always un-keyword the exact version of vanilla-sources that I'm
>> running since I update and depclean on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge
>> fan of having a bunch of kernels under /usr/src/linux-* but only having
>> a couple of them compiled, but to each his own I guess.
> I have sys-kernel/vanilla-sources in package.keywords, unversioned. So
> depclean cleans away the older versions, and I keep the latest one.
>
> I'm on 3.17.1 right now, but the moment 3.17.2 comes out I will switch
> to it in all my machines: with kerninst is all of it mostly
> automatized.
>
> And with systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds ;)
>
> Regards.

and without systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds too.

Keep your stupid propaganda to yourself. Thank you.

As long as most time of a boot is spend by the bios, it really does not
matter if the init system needs 1.5 seconds until X starts or 2.5 seconds.

Re: alternative kernels

Alec Ten Harmsel

On 10/26/2014 04:16 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I let portage update the vanilla-sources and once in a while a build and
>>> install a new kernel. At the moment I am on 3.12.23. Maybe I install
>>> 3.12.30 tonight. If I find a good reason to do so.
>>>
>> What happens when you run `emerge --depclean`?
>>
>> I always un-keyword the exact version of vanilla-sources that I'm
>> running since I update and depclean on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge
>> fan of having a bunch of kernels under /usr/src/linux-* but only having
>> a couple of them compiled, but to each his own I guess.
> I have sys-kernel/vanilla-sources in package.keywords, unversioned. So
> depclean cleans away the older versions, and I keep the latest one.

I was mostly asking Volker since he has vanilla-sources unmasked without
specifying a version but is currently running the 3.12.23 kernel. Little
crazy imnho, but whatever.

> I'm on 3.17.1 right now, but the moment 3.17.2 comes out I will switch
> to it in all my machines: with kerninst is all of it mostly
> automatized.

Wow, daredevil right here ;). I usually wait until the current release
gets to the 3rd or 4th revision before updating to make sure all the
bugs are out. Had a few times where my laptop was not a fan of new
kernels - 3.16.1 wouldn't boot, for example.

> And with systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds ;)

Must be nice; my laptop is so old that it boots slowly regardless of my
choice of init system.

Alec

1234